Rain Barrel bait hotel, or is there something better.

pwstriper

Sep 26, 2005
San Diego, Clairemont
Name
Mike M
Boat
Kencraft
Making a bait hotel to keep down at my slip, best thing i've found is a rain barrel, image attached. Anyone use anything else? Maybe something with a little bigger diameter and shallower?

Making it out of netting wont work the seals will get in. Let me know if you have any other plastic container ideas.

2013623123257_001.JPG

Upvote 0

Smartaxe

Almost A Member
Dec 18, 2011
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
Koy Wilson
Boat
2003 Robalo 235
Im up north, but I use a plastic trash can with a snap on lid. Big as you can get. Then I zip tied a pool fun noodle around the top just below the lid. Add a lot of holes and your set. I copied mine from all the commercial guys around my dock. Super easy and cheap.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
If a dead bait can fall through, a live one can too right?

only the non common core educated ones will figure out how to get out while still alive...but that's just like 2%

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
there is a group of fish you need to watch out for when you have a bait barrel...they are from OBB and they will find their way in and stay and make a mess requiring round the clock supervision buy you can't force them out...OCCUPY BAIT BARREL

Upvote 0

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Making a bait hotel to keep down at my slip, best thing i've found is a rain barrel, image attached. Anyone use anything else? Maybe something with a little bigger diameter and shallower?

Making it out of netting wont work the seals will get in. Let me know if you have any other plastic container ideas.

View attachment 753112

Ummm...
is that the rain barrel (image attached) you are talking about?
Doesn't look too efficient as a rain barrel (killer bait motel though)
:D
Like mentioned, go down and take a look at what the commercial and sport guys are doing, lots of great home made rigs for the cheap.

Upvote 0

tap

"The Roving Angler"
BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
I used a variety for years. One of the best was made of chicken wire shaped like a barrel under a large plastic float tube. The wire was easy to flush (algae, sponges and other sea life will quickly clog the holes and sometimes add so much weight to the barrel it wants to sink). You need a lot of openings since water current is usually very slow around marinas and you need to maximize the oxygen available. Build a sturdy tank to keep seals and sea gulls out and watch out for crabs-they will get in when small and set up house keeping while dining on your bait. Actually your biggest concern may come from other anglers poaching your supply.

Upvote 0

430 hp 70

Always Learning
Aug 27, 2009
Carlsbad, CA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
26' Skipjack "My Girl"
We've got one made of pvc with a netting material wrapped around. Pool noodle for flotation. We haven't had problems with seals with this version.

I wouldn't make it too deep unless you want to use your sabiki to fish them back out. You could also have a dedicated longer net as well.

Upvote 0

Miss Fitz

Call me Captain
Mar 4, 2013
San Diego
fuck-you-and-the-horse-you-rode-in-on.com
Name
Vince
Boat
26' TwinVee Pilot House
Also keep in mind dock security. A couple of seasons ago a friend had more than a few incidences of having bait completely disappear once left unattended overnight. This happened in SD bay at a non- yacht club slip.

Unless you are at a secure dock, there is always a chance of some A-hole pilfering your bait. Between the expense of materials used to build the cage plus ~5 scoops of bait vanishing, I'd guess it ran about $350 in total for zero rewards.

Just sayin'

Upvote 0

I'M OFF

Really off
Jul 12, 2007
On the deck
Name
Tommy
Boat
Iv'e used the rain barrel and it does work. If I did it again I would cut the barrel in half because its too deep. There are hooping floats attached on the rim to keep it float, I have seen pool noodles used too. keep the bottom half and cut again, then re-attatch to shallower end. make sense?? good luck

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
We bought fresh water containers from the home Depot in tijuana. The have a turn lock lid and are pretty big. Keeps bait alive really nicely.

Upvote 0