Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
  • Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Name
    Rocket Dog
    Boat
    passenger again
    Been looking up how some of you have build your Railroads an just had a quick question. What should the ideal length from the butt to the end of the front grip be ? I've seen anywhere from 30" to 35". Im looking at a 7.6, 2x4.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    It really depends on your stature, and how you pull. Would be a good idea to find a short fence or a sawhorse or something to replicate rail height, and use a rod out of your existing quiver to gauge. You want enough foregrip to keep from running the exposed blank on the rail, and enough butt to fit under your armpit, junk, or wherever you put it. In my case, a factory rail rod is too short on the butt end, and I target about 20.5” from the end to front of the reel seat. This allows me to get the rod under my left armpit comfortably as this is my default way of railing. You’ll have to play around a bit to see what’s best for you.

Reactions: Brad I and skrilla
    Upvote 0

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
  • Mar 11, 2007
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    FV Soldandgone
    my viper- 38.5 in total. 18 in rail dawg in fore, alps seat, 14 in rear grip, 1.5 in rubber gimbal. that may not add up exactly bc the grips get compressed a little when sliding on. not saying it’s the ‘right length’. just mentioned bc bit longer than range u listed.

Upvote 0

Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
  • Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Name
    Rocket Dog
    Boat
    passenger again
    Mine is taping out to 37.5 right now. 1.5 butt cap, 12' rear, 6'alps reel seat, 18" cold shrink. So, close to that number.

Reactions: lazyfisherman
    Upvote 0

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
  • Mar 11, 2007
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    FV Soldandgone
    Mine is taping out to 37.5 right now. 1.5 butt cap, 12' rear, 6'alps reel seat, 18" cold shrink. So, close to that number.
    if u r still planning build, i think 12 rear grip will be too short for you to place rod under armpit. I’d swap out for 14 unless you dont want to fish that style, or u r smaller stature.

Upvote 0

cmepen

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jun 16, 2009
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Einar Lohner
    Boat
    Cabo Marine 226
    Minimum rear 14” and between 14”-20” fore. If the rod is for a private boat fisherman, they may not be a need an 18“+ fore grip and conversely if the rod will be used on party boats, some of them have rails that are really wide, and there is a need for a 20“ fore grip. Judge how and where the rod will be used and the fisherman that will be using it and adjust accordingly.

Reactions: skrilla
    Upvote 0

Wendell Fox

Aug 3, 2006
    Foster City, CA
    Name
    Wendell Fox
    Boat
    Boston Whaler 17
    Been looking up how some of you have build your Railroads an just had a quick question. What should the ideal length from the butt to the end of the front grip be ? I've seen anywhere from 30" to 35". Im looking at a 7.6, 2x4.
    14" butt grip plus butt cap. 16" to 18" fore grip. Your good to go.

Upvote 0