The American Tackle Company

Reel Fancy

Aug 14, 2015
Oregon
Name
Jim Underwood
Boat
24' Northriver
I'm starting a new rod for myself, its a United Composite CX70 Viper and I'm not sure how long of a foregrip to put on. I usually put a 12" one on my Albacore rods, but I see some really long ones on the LR boats.

Also, the rear grip, I normally use a 10" rear grip that put a Alps reel seat about 15" to center from end of a butt cap.

But I see guys with the butt of the rod under their arm pit with the foregrip on the rail while they are putting the beans on a large Tuna.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to mess up this blank.

Upvote 0

Chandler Carpenter

@doublecrods on Instagram
Aug 29, 2016
Carlsbad
Name
Chandler Carpenter
Boat
None
I just build a CX76 Viper. My fore grip is 18" and my rear grip I did a 12" piece of hypalon with butt cap and the reel seat threads to the rear, it put my reel in the right spot for me. I used a saw horse to imitate the rail and tested various lengths of each until it felt right.

Upvote 0

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    Rail foregrips range from 16-18in. I put 18in grips on my rail rod builds with a 10-12in rear plus butt cap. Its all preference. Ive made 15in rear grip so a guy could mount the rod under his legs and straddle the rof while pulling on huge fish.

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    I have built a bunch of railrods for fishing Guadalupe the last few years. Through trial and error I have found what works best for me. I like a front grip that is about 16" to 18" long. I have also found that I like a pretty good size diameter on the front grip. Skinny grips just don't feel right.
    I have tried straight hypalon, EVA, cork tape, tuna cord etc. for the front grip but what seems to work best for me is cork tape covered by shrink tube. I usually use two layers of 1/16" cork tape covered by X flock shrink tube with a thin layer of rod bond to keep the shrink tube from slipping around. For the rear grip I usually use 12" hypalon with a 1.5" but cap. I have tried longer rear grips but they are awkward to move around when you are changing positions with the rod and the 13.5" rear grip works fine for the way I fish the rail.

Reactions: pukahd
    Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    Rail foregrips range from 16-18in. I put 18in grips on my rail rod builds with a 10-12in rear plus butt cap. Its all preference. Ive made 15in rear grip so a guy could mount the rod under his legs and straddle the rof while pulling on huge fish.

Putting thr rod to pull on a big fish would decimate my balls

Upvote 0

LB.

Lb’s Customs
    Aug 29, 2018
    La Crescenta CA
    Name
    Ralph ‘Lb’ H.
    Boat
    Outrider-Mirage-Excel-Shogun-Endeavor
    I usually do 12”-13” rear, and 14”-16” front with the ALPS centra lock seat.

Upvote 0

Reel Fancy

Aug 14, 2015
    Oregon
    Name
    Jim Underwood
    Boat
    24' Northriver
    Thanks for all the input.

I think I will start with a 12" rear and a 16" fore grip as that is what I have in stock.

I just realized I ordered too small of guides for it, I think I should use size 12 runners and tip. I have size 10, but think that will be too small for 100# topshots.

I also ordered a size 20 for my stripper guide, but think I need a 25.

I haven't ordered a new reel for this rod yet.

Thanks again for all the help with this, it really give me something to think about before I start gluing things up.

Upvote 0

LB.

Lb’s Customs
    Aug 29, 2018
    La Crescenta CA
    Name
    Ralph ‘Lb’ H.
    Boat
    Outrider-Mirage-Excel-Shogun-Endeavor
    Thanks for all the input.

I think I will start with a 12" rear and a 16" fore grip as that is what I have in stock.

I just realized I ordered too small of guides for it, I think I should use size 12 runners and tip. I have size 10, but think that will be too small for 100# topshots.

I also ordered a size 20 for my stripper guide, but think I need a 25.

I haven't ordered a new reel for this rod yet.

Thanks again for all the help with this, it really give me something to think about before I start gluing things up.
    I’d go w 25 for the stripper, and in my opinion, 10’s are fine. Good luck.

Upvote 0