Rail Rod Protection/ 3M 130-310 shrink wrap tubing

pwstriper

Sep 26, 2005
San Diego, Clairemont
Name
Mike M
Boat
In between boats.. for now PQ, NLA, SHOGUN
Anyone know where I can get 3M 130-310 shrink wrap tubing or similar? Protective tubing for rail rod

Thanks
Mike

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Island Tackle in Carson has the rainshadow cold shrink in stock in a few lengths. Basically the same as the 3M stuff, but much more affordable.

Olddog8

Well-Known "Member"
May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
Squidco has it too and I think Charkbait just started carrying the Rainshadow product. Thinner cold shrink is on eBay

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
Island Tackle in Carson has the rainshadow cold shrink in stock in a few lengths. Basically the same as the 3M stuff, but much more affordable.
I had a couple of end pieces of this coldshrink that I put over 1/2' PVC to make up some knot pullers. The next morning one of them had split length wise and completely fell off the PVC. The split was straight and clean, very strange.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I had a couple of end pieces of this coldshrink that I put over 1/2' PVC to make up some knot pullers. The next morning one of them had split length wise and completely fell off the PVC. The split was straight and clean, very strange.
Hmm that sucks, I’ve installed it 3 times with no issues.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
EADFDBE4-A7A2-40EF-8D9D-41D0989935AD.jpeg
I have purchased 3M 8427 and 8428 on EBay for pennies on the dollar, like 2 bucks each. I assume they are remenents from a contract job. But some are only 12”. The 8428 is what everybody uses but if you temporarily put the pull strap out of the tube you have a good chance to get the 8427 tube over a smaller reel seat. The last number after the dash is in inches...

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Squidco has it too and I think Charkbait just started carrying the Rainshadow product. Thinner cold shrink is on eBay
Tell us more about the thinner version, please. Is the numbering system such that 8428 has a larger ID than 8427?

Last edited:

Winstondry

Winstondry
Dec 16, 2003
San Diego
Name
Alain
Boat
Ranger Z520L
I was wondering how hard the 3M cold shrink is to cut and is it better to cut after it's been installed or is it possible to cut a 2.5" piece before the white spine piece has been removed.

Mr GreenJeans

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 23, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
Kayak
I was wondering how hard the 3M cold shrink is to cut and is it better to cut after it's been installed or is it possible to cut a 2.5" piece before the white spine piece has been removed.
I cut mine after it is installed over the fore grip. Just spin the rod on the rod lathe and touch the tube with a razor. With a steady hand you get a nice straight cut. Just be aware that the rubber pulls back from cut line about 1/8” or so.

Reactions: Winstondry

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
I was going to say, I have had Ken Bush put hydraulic hose on the fore grips of my cow rods, and I totally couldn't be happier, but I have cold shrink on most of my rail rods...or did before they were stolen. Ken will use cold shrink on the new ones he's building me too, but I don't know which product he uses.

I really want to try that cold shrink-over-PVC for line pullers, though. Can someone recommend the right cold shrink product from whoever for that application?