Raiders for wahoo...wire or mono or fluoro

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by walkerman, Dec 30, 2014.

1. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Steve, I like that trip story from 2005-2006 which illustrates some things to me:

A lot has changed with Long Range fishing in the last ten years. We now see more rail rods, less roller guides, better techniques, better equipment, some spinning gear etc, etc.
    Some will stick to what "has always worked in the past" and there is nothing at all wrong with that. But It will always be changing.

Hey, the Yellowtail are biting the yo/yo what lure does everyone bring out ? A blue and white 6x or 6x jr- because it has always worked for ever.
    Does that mean it is the best jig? Probably not. There are other jigs that get bit consistently better at times.

Hey,The wahoo are biting and what does everyone pull out? Wired whatever. Does it work? Yeah most of the time as it has worked forever.
    Does that mean it is the best presentation? Probably not. There are other more stealtier presentations that do not sacrifice lure loss percentage.

It doesn't mean we cant all have fun. Not everyone has the same goals when fishing. Some want to catch fish to eat, Some want to catch to have fun, some want to experiment, some want to have a vacation, some want to drink ,some want to hang with friends, some want to be "that guy", some want to escape their Daily grind, etc etc.

For me I just love being on the water and the thrill of catching fish, I like the hook up and battle ,fish very hard and put in crazy rail time whenever I am fortunate enough to get on a trip. I do not take these trips for granted. Nothing is for granted , so I try to maximize my experience.

I am not saying that wiring bombs and jigs for wahoo is wrong. In a wide open bite it may be the best method. However in our mostly pick to steady bites, I do feel that wire is not the way to go if higher bite/fish landing count is your goal

I will say though, if someone were to choose the flouro/mono method, they must definitely be more thorough and have good/very good technique. Any weaknesses will be exposed via significant Lure/fish loss.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    Fishybuzz and dh515 like this.
  2. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Well, maybe it was 6 and 8? But I do recall that the difference was not enough to make me switch.

3. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    There are really two issues there.

Having fished with him two years on the same trip I found that to me, he was an obnoxious bullying prick. Pushing shoving and pulling me by my shirt doesn't endear me to a fellow angler.

But, before I digress again, the point should have simply been that to me, the marginal gain to be had on this trip on this day. If throwing away money is no big deal, party on. Wahoo are hard enough to hook as it is. For me, I want to maximize my chances of landing one if I get bit.

4. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    Different strokes...but isn't the issue to maximize getting bit? Because if that doesn't happen, obviously you aren't putting a fish on the boat. I'm going to try the heavy Fluoro this trip. Typically on the trip I go on in January, the wahoo never bite really well. It's always a pick bite with little time spent fishing specifically for them. I need to maximize my opportunities of getting a bite first.

vegasandre and Fishybuzz like this.
  5. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Well the bullying obnoxious p%$#K part is a whole other issue....lol

Who knows if you had used straight mono or FC you may have had more bites???? just saying....

6. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    I agree that the cost of losing jigs is part of the trip. And yes I get bit better on mono. Going to try 200# Fluro this year thanks to Rodless Jim. Yes it sucks but man is it fun.

And money is relative. I just bought $600.00 worth of cigars to share with my friends. Got a nice bottle of Yamazaki 12 year old and Nikka 15 year old to go with the cigars.

Like Einstein said - Its all relative.

Fishybuzz, Tim Turis and vegasandre like this.
  7. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats

8. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    I Love Wahoo fishing. I think I am going to try it on a fly rod this season. Now, with that out of the way and after a ton of performing my own testing I am sticking with a 24 - 36 inch piece of 100- 130# flouro or Mono on my spinners Direct tied to the Bomb or Raider. I am finding I get bit less with under 24 inches of plastic extending from the Spectra. I am using less and less Flouro as the Mono holds up great in this application and is of course cheaper. I have found I do not get bit quite as well with, 150# or 200# plastic line. I have been fortunate that I have been able to spend dozens of days fishing Wahoo trying different techniques just in the last few years. Prior to that I used normal inserted wind ons and differing sections of straight tied mono or flouro but not with this pound test or with these drag settings. I use 100 pound Spectra with a short insertion/served and glued loop to loop top shot (I slide back the loops so my connection loops are only about 1 inch long on each side after the cats paw is created and the loops are straightened out). My drags are set at about 24 - 26 pounds of drag and then just wind until I need to just give a short stroke to get the fish's head pointed at the boat. Most of the time the fish come right to the boat even with my spinners as the higher drag settings keep the fish from getting sideways. The fast retrieve of the spinner keeps line coming onto the reel when the fish accelerates towards the boat. I do find scrapes on the mono but have only once been bit off on the Spectra. It is cool for conventional reel users now that the newer and smaller casting reels are developing high enough drag settings to get into the bigger line game for Wahoo. Capacity is just not any issue at all with these fish and those drag settings.

Surface scratching, where you see a very light peel of plastic on the line, on 100 - 130 is not a problem for pulling in Wahoo but other nicks and dings require the change out of a top shot. I would never re-use this line for bigger Tuna but for Wahoo no problem. My last 14 day I fished 6 days, in part or in all, and only had to change tops shots about 4 times as most of the time the nicks were close enough to the lure allowing me to retie. Once you get your technique down to fish that kind of drag at strike, and you will need proper technique to be in control of that much drag, you will find with this kind of setup, and the use of a reel that can develop enough drag, the lack of mass of a Wahoo allows it to be landed in no time at all. But that is what works for me on jigs and bombs. I tend now to only lose one or two on extended long range trips but of course that can always change depending on how near or far sighted a particular school of fish is. Just remember many of the bite offs come when the angler is letting the jig sink and does not wind down immediately upon the jig stopping, acting funny or getting even the slightest tap. This is where keeping good contact with the jig and not allowing your line to bow in the current or allow too much slack line while the jig is sinking is of vital importance. With short plastic top shots you really can "Feel" what is happening on the other end of the line. Wind any and every time you think or feel something affect the natural feel of the line regardless where in the water column the event occurs. What ever works for you but that is what works for me.

Best of luck on the up-coming season.

Jamie

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    vegasandre likes this.