G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    So I figure I will share my recent experience with my Windslow liferaft. I have a 2006 model, Windslow Coastal liferaft with canopy in a valise, which then goes into a Pelican case. It weighs about 50 lbs when all packed up.

It was time for the re-pack, so I contacted Windslow and they recommended Westpac in Tacoma. I Then called Westpac and got a nic man on the phone who said no problem, asked me how old it was, and I then told him the manufacturer date right off of the tag. He told me $890.00, and that shipping information was available on their website. Due to the compressed gas it is a hazardous shipment and has to be marked as such and be shipped a special way..... Just under $140.00 and it was on it's way.... A few e-mails back and forth with Rollie, who had been in and out with knee surgery and he told me it would be a lot easier and save shipping if I happened to be coming up I could just pick it up in person.....

Well, I had sold a few things to fellow BD members and decided what the hell, I could deliver stuff, save people the shipping, and pick up my raft while I was at it..... Also it had to be on a weekday... So I headed up on last Sunday, delivered a couple of things, and spent the night for my Monday pick up of my raft.... Monday morning I go find Westpac and go in to get my raft.... Well, he gets my raft and brings me the bill.... $1660.00.... Holy Fuck! double what I was quoted.... $144.00 sales tax... But I am an Oregon resident... well, if he would have shipped it to me he doesn't have to charge sales tax, but because I picked it up in Washington he has to charge me...... Could have shipped it and not waisted my time driving up! WTF.... If he sells me a new raft, I dont have to pay sales tax, but because it was a service and I picked it up I had to pay......

So buyer beware.... Shipping to Westpac $140.00, repack with tax $1660.00, a trip to Tacoma and back with the cost of hotel for the night $200.00 +/-...... $2100.00 for a repack....

Big lesson learned for me, I will likely just buy a new one next time...

When questioned Rollie was basically too bad, the head unit needs replaced because of the service interval, and such, so sorry.... But they asked me how old it was and used that info to quote it... yet as the customer I am screwed... So be aware that this could happen to you too.... I will never use them again....

Last edited:
    Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

NGSD1

Dreamer
    Jun 6, 2012
    Tempe San Diego
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    35 Cabo Express
    I have had mine serviced there and had no issues at all. Great service and just as promised. Sorry to hear about the surprise but as far as the choice to pick it up and pay tax, that cant be blamed on them.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    I have had mine serviced there and had no issues at all. Great service and just as promised. Sorry to hear about the surprise but as far as the choice to pick it up and pay tax, that cant be blamed on them.

Well, since he recommended I come pick it up to save the shipping, it might have been wise for him to advise me it would cost and extra $144.00, so the saving of the shipping was not there at all... I lost a days wages and made a little field trip out of it, but if I had known it was gonna cost me $144.00, I would have just had it shipped... So I can blame him, because he said I would save money and I did not.....

It may be attributed to his knee surgery.... one call he said he didn't even remember due to the heavy duty narcotices for recovery....

Reactions: johndtuttle
    Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
    Oceanside Ca.
    Name
    Mike Morris
    Boat
    prowler kayak
    sorry you got hosed sounds like Rollie was enjoying the painkillers a little to much maybe he should of shared it wouldn't have been so painful

Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    sales tax is charged where the delivery is made.

estimate over the phone based on customer info vs what actually needs to be done when the techie gets his hands on it. Blame the service tech for doing his job properly.

Upvote 0

NGSD1

Dreamer
    Jun 6, 2012
    Tempe San Diego
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    35 Cabo Express
    Tax laws are the same as they always have been. If you're pick it up or even have it shipped in the same state you pay taxes if they are a legit business obeying laws. If they are an operation out of state that has a business license in state you still pay tax. The only way you'll would have avoided it is being out of state shipping with a non in state licensed vendor and that is just common knowledge to anyone that has ever purchased over the Internet or otherwise. I am done beating this dead horse but a vendor having to educate tax laws is still in my opinion not there fault. He may have not done his math for your but perhaps blame could be shared here. I am only speaking up due to good experiences with them and stating facts.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Tax laws are the same as they always have been. If you're pick it up or even have it shipped in the same state you pay taxes if they are a legit business obeying laws. If they are an operation out of state that has a business license in state you still pay tax. The only way you'll would have avoided it is being out of state shipping with a non in state licensed vendor and that is just common knowledge to anyone that has ever purchased over the Internet or otherwise. I am done beating this dead horse but a vendor having to educate tax laws is still in my opinion not there fault. He may have not done his math for your but perhaps blame could be shared here. I am only speaking up due to good experiences with them and stating facts.

You are 100% incorrect... It is common knowledge that if you have an Oregon drivers license you can make all kinds of purchases in Washington and not pay tax standing on Washington soil in that very state... Your "anyone who has purchased over the internet" theory is wrong, so maybe you need to understand it yourself before you spout to me...I regularly do it... you can by cars the same way... You may want to check your common knowledge and beat this horse a little more till you understand those dead horses.....

Even if you read my post... If Rollie sold me a raft... a "product" he does not have to charge me tax.... because the repack is a "service" like a meal he said he has to charge me because I picked it up in Washington... I have bought numerous items and never pay Washington tax simply by showing my license.... He recommended I come up and get my raft to safe shipping costs... I spent more money to drive up there.... clearly not so common knowledge in my mind....

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    sales tax is charged where the delivery is made.

estimate over the phone based on customer info vs what actually needs to be done when the techie gets his hands on it. Blame the service tech for doing his job properly.

Wrong!! 100% wrong.... read above.... if you purchase a product and show a Oregon drivers license in Washington you do not pay tax.... Has nothing to do with where the delivery is made... has to do with the difference between service and product...

Estimates are given based upon the type of raft and service interval... The tech did what he was told by Rollie... Let it happen to you and see how you feel... rather than your grade school mentallity of defending because he did a good service for someone else.... As a consumer what else can you do if not call and solicit a price and expect it to be close if nothing else..

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

wils

May 31, 2003
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    Wrong!! 100% wrong.... read above.... if you purchase a product and show a Oregon drivers license in Washington you do not pay tax.... Has nothing to do with where the delivery is made... has to do with the difference between service and product...

Estimates are given based upon the type of raft and service interval... The tech did what he was told by Rollie... Let it happen to you and see how you feel... rather than your grade school mentallity of defending because he did a good service for someone else.... As a consumer what else can you do if not call and solicit a price and expect it to be close if nothing else..

"Grade school mentality" in regards estimates over the phone, eh.... Personally, I'd rather have the raft inspected and then completed correctly by a professional rather than ONLY have it done as to what I ignorantly thought needed to be done......especially with your recent history in regards needing the use of that raft. Your attitude in regards a "phone estimate" is the same as many homeowners that I have refused to do business for. NO ONE can give you an accurate price without first seeing what needs to be done. I've had sticker shock many times. But after talking it out and actually seeing what needed to be done to do the job right, I gladly paid my money..................sans whine

no sales tax in Washington if you show a Oregon drivers license? I'll have to remember that. Sounds strange, but then again this IS the PNW.......

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    "Grade school mentality" in regards estimates over the phone, eh.... Personally, I'd rather have the raft inspected and then completed correctly by a professional rather than ONLY have it done as to what I ignorantly thought needed to be done......especially with your recent history in regards needing the use of that raft. Your attitude in regards a "phone estimate" is the same as many homeowners that I have refused to do business for. NO ONE can give you an accurate price without first seeing what needs to be done. I've had sticker shock many times. But after talking it out and actually seeing what needed to be done to do the job right, I gladly paid my money..................sans whine

no sales tax in Washington if you show a Oregon drivers license? I'll have to remember that. Sounds strange, but then again this IS the PNW.......

Well as a licensed general contractor, I see we have something in common. I have even built in your neck of the woods, Prnghorn and Crooked River. I don't think you are comparing apples to apples... I build homes, do large remodels of very custom homes, and many repairs of older homes.... I know all to well the customers you refer to and I refuse to work for them as well.

The life raft has very specific items needing replaced based upon service interval and a check list, not service items reviewed by a tech and replaced to do the job right as you say., that was not the case. It is a simple check list... period.. No extra stuff. He asked me what year my raft was and what model it was, looked at a list and gave me a price. apparently he looked at the wrong list....

That may be why you are hell bent on being right; you are comparing what they do to what you do and it is not remotely close. Any company that re-packs rafts can give you a price since it is a check list, you are wrong.... and not understanding what they actually do... It is a list... simple... Nothing to do with ignorantly doing what I thought needed to be done... you are so far off base on this..

No where did I say that I didn't want it done right,... It was a shock to have the price be twice what I was quoted.. I want my raft re-packed by a professional, but I would expect a quote to be close... Maybe next time the lumber yard gives you a price for materials and bills you double you will think that is great?!?

Upvote 0

wils

May 31, 2003
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    Do you know if the 'head unit' was part of/included in the basic 'check list', John? or does the basic check list include normal items with the techie eyeballing the entire unit for anything not specifically listed on that checklist? I guess I could use the annual preventive maintenance I have performed on my work truck as a better example than a piece of lumber... There are basic things listed on Dodges annual or mileage-based "check list", but through years of automotive (and boat) ownership, I know - and hope - that the mechanic will look for, find, and repair if needed other items that are NOT specifically mentioned in basic/generic checklist that are needing repair before they leave me stranded on the road someplace.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Do you know if the 'head unit' was part of/included in the basic 'check list', John? or does the basic check list include normal items with the techie eyeballing the entire unit for anything not specifically listed on that checklist? I guess I could use the annual preventive maintenance I have performed on my work truck as a better example than a piece of lumber... There are basic things listed on Dodges annual or mileage-based "check list", but through years of automotive (and boat) ownership, I know - and hope - that the mechanic will look for, find, and repair if needed other items that are NOT specifically mentioned in basic/generic checklist that are needing repair before they leave me stranded on the road someplace.

The head unit is in the check list every so many years... I think every 5... yes it is on the standard list depending on the service interval... mine looked fine and probably was, but because of the service interval as I have said numerous times it was on the list of items to be replaced based upon the service interval. Unfortunately, when whoever looked at the list they looked at it wrong and did not include the head unit in the quote.... They know when the head unit needs replaced based upon the service iinterval... once again, not comparable to your truck as there is really not "extra" to find... it is a list based upon service interval, and typically there are not extra items...

If my head unit was bad, and they would have said it is not usuallly part of the service, but your head unit was bad, so it had to be replaced my feelings would have been totally different... That simply was not the case...

I am 48 years old, I have owned and currently own numerous pieces of equipment and vehicles. I currently own an excavator, skidsteer, tractor, and dodge truck, I know how service works... I also understand when something isn't quite right....

I also have owned numerous boats, and I have no problem with a service professional doing a good job...

Upvote 0

NGSD1

Dreamer
    Jun 6, 2012
    Tempe San Diego
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    35 Cabo Express
    Since this horse has not been beat enough..... The real issue here is that you refuse to take responsibility for your own actions and want to blame someone else because you didn't do your homework. Get over it and learn from it.

Reactions: wils
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    You are an idiot...can't get me with your tax bullshit, so you spout total bullshit. When you are wrong you make to stupid comments like that... Nothing to do with homework.... I was simply quoted the wrong price... And as the customer I pay for it... I was sharing the experience.... Just because you had a good experience doesn't mean this business can't make a mistake...

This site is for sharing this exact type of information to help others.... I was quoted a wrong price... No homework could fix that... I am not a sales tax professional or a business in Washington to know that a "service" is taxed while a "purchase" is not...

Since this horse has not been beat enough..... The real issue here is that you refuse to take responsibility for your own actions and want to blame someone else because you didn't do your homework. Get over it and learn from it.

Upvote 0

Meanwhile

Dec 13, 2005
    Warren, Oregon
    Name
    Randy Kane
    Boat
    2007 Grady White Marlin, 30.5', w/twin 250's
    Sorry for the situation. It sounds like Rollie looked on the wrong column in the price list.

I'm in a different situation as I don't charter but when I had a raft packed at Englunds Raft Shop and they were careful to explain exactly what was covered and the difference in the pack levels. It was an older raft so it was expensive, and it also had a PLB packed that needed a battery. I know they don't repack some brands but I'd consider them on the next repack. They do my PLB's for work too and I've been pleased with their service.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Sorry for the situation. It sounds like Rollie looked on the wrong column in the price list.

I'm in a different situation as I don't charter but when I had a raft packed at Englunds Raft Shop and they were careful to explain exactly what was covered and the difference in the pack levels. It was an older raft so it was expensive, and it also had a PLB packed that needed a battery. I know they don't repack some brands but I'd consider them on the next repack. They do my PLB's for work too and I've been pleased with their service.

Thanks Randy, I will probably use them next time around... They are not an "authorized" service center for Windslow, so I went with Rollie..... Next go around it will be Englunds oor a new raft for a little more...

Upvote 0

Windy Bay

Aug 2, 2008
    Elkton, OR
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    Skipjack 240, Skipjack Sports Cruiser under construction
    I have had really good service at englund marine. drop off at one of their stores and pickup at store. they ship on their own trucks! Might consider them next time. jsut sayin!

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    I have had really good service at englund marine. drop off at one of their stores and pickup at store. they ship on their own trucks! Might consider them next time. jsut sayin!

Totally would use them next time as I said above... they just were not an "authorized" service center, I was trying to get good service by an authorized center.

Honestly, if I would have had an accurate quote, I would not have re-packed this raft. It is a near coastal, in a valise which is inside of a Pelican case. My new boat is larger and would better accomodate a raft mounted on the bow in a hydrstatic release, so I would have sld this one nd applied the money from the sale of this one and the money for re-pack towards a different raft.

When quoted half what I was charged it made financial sense to keep this one... But according to some dumb asses I should always expect to pay double what quoted?!? I shared the information to let others know, so maybe they could protect themselves and ask questions of Westpac to ensure they don't end up in the same situation.

A few weeks ago the turbo went out on my 08 Dodge... I was quoted around $4500.00 it was actually only $4300.00, Sure glad the shop didn't use the logic of the guys who posted above that somehow I should expect it to double....

I have had my boat up at Cooks Marine in Portland being worked on... The estimate for services was around $10,500.00, they found additional items, called me and explained and I authorized more work... Simple... They added a trolling valve, bracket, t-bar handle, and when it wass all said and done my bill was $13,800.00... I had no issues as it was great service, and upcharges were justified.....

Somehow some armchair tax expert in Central Oregon who doesn't even know the tax system himself, and some San Diego guy who had good service once feel I must be new to obtaining service and expecting a reasonable quotes for service.... Oh well when it happens to them I can act like a grade schooler and find some way to blame them....

Upvote 0

NGSD1

Dreamer
    Jun 6, 2012
    Tempe San Diego
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    35 Cabo Express
    Seems like G spot is a little sensitive and hates getting input on a public forum. To call others dumb asses is pretty funny. Who is the dumb ass, the one giving input or the one that paid twice as much as he should have?

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Seems like G spot is a little sensitive and hates getting input on a public forum. To call others dumb asses is pretty funny. Who is the dumb ass, the one giving input or the one that paid twice as much as he should have?

Good point... Can't argue that one too much.. PS I am sensitive.... like an orchid.. :-)

I am not new to business and will usually take the high road and simply pay.. Felt it was poor play to give a quote and then charge me double... wanted to share that experience and somehow I was made the bad guy.. thanks for your input.... duly noted... worth what I paid for it... hopefully someone will read this and it will help them.

Upvote 0

dorado50

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 5, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    DAVID
    Boat
    BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
    Good nite now.............

Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    wow that blows.. whats the excuse for the bill being twice as much

Upvote 0

wils

May 31, 2003
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    This thread taught me something new. The detail about Oregon residents going to washi and not being charged sales tax. It sounded weird to me - but true per a number of people confirming. Thank you G-Spot for bringing it to my attention.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    This thread taught me something new. The detail about Oregon residents going to washi and not being charged sales tax. It sounded weird to me - but true per a number of people confirming. Thank you G-Spot for bringing it to my attention.

No worries... many people dont know, they think all states are the same... Wa. wants Oregon business and it gives the businesses an opportunity to advertise "no tax to Oregon buyers" That is how they helped convince peope to vote a sales tax, the border businesses didn't want to loose business.

Upvote 0