Radovich 34 restoration

Kid Paella

Almost A Member
Jan 24, 2015
Name
Kevin
Boat
Crystaliner 29 R/S
She's Launched! lots of little things on the list, but what a happy event. had to pay the Dunes launch ramp extra to open the gate. waited until we had a little tide, She floated right off!!! after a lot of blood sweat and Tears. photos to come.
What's cruising speed and top end with the engines you went with?

Upvote 0

40Grit

Sep 9, 2009
Newport Beach California
Name
Steve Brown
Boat
Radovich 34
Thanks for the interest guys. Restoration projects take on a life of their own. The Radovich is no different.
Our initial inspection of the Catipillars revealed turbocharger were not to spec, hairdryers at best. the college where we purchased her, Reported fresh re-manufactured long blocks three years prior.
When we took delivery, she performed poorly with a horrendous bottom Once cleaned up she did 20 knots.
While the motors were out, we replaced all external dressings including a pair of fresh turbos. After restoration Our initial sea trial did not produce the expected results. The port motor was not makin horsepower!
Teardown Revealed a blown head gasket. We decided to rebuild both motors and more importantly, replace the old style two ring Pistons with the later three ring design. The 3208 have a history of cylinder liner pinholes after boring. So the blocks were sleeved back to standard spec. The people at Johnson Cat in riverside did the machine work. Great and caring bunch. The president Matt Merkel was above and beyond! The motor blueprint work was done by Dan Macknamara at Archer marine. Impressive work goes into the short block build. the most important measurement, is the static compression ratio. This careful spec is done by volumetric c/c liquid measures. Dan&Daves check twice approach revealed incorrect Pistons. A transcribed part number had delivered non turbo parts.
That would have been something I would have missed!
Thursday's brief sea trials were impressive. She jumped quickly on plane. And is effortless once loaded. Not quite broken yet. So I have no top end specs. It's been a journey.
Steve

Upvote 0

40Grit

Sep 9, 2009
Newport Beach California
Name
Steve Brown
Boat
Radovich 34
Thanks for the interest guys. Restoration projects take on a life of their own. The Radovich is no different.
Our initial inspection of the Catipillars revealed turbocharger were not to spec, hairdryers at best. the college where we purchased her, Reported fresh re-manufactured long blocks three years prior.
When we took delivery, she performed poorly with a horrendous bottom Once cleaned up she did 20 knots.
While the motors were out, we replaced all external dressings including a pair of fresh turbos. After restoration Our initial sea trial did not produce the expected results. The port motor was not makin horsepower!
Teardown Revealed a blown head gasket. We decided to rebuild both motors and more importantly, replace the old style two ring Pistons with the later three ring design. The 3208 have a history of cylinder liner pinholes after boring. So the blocks were sleeved back to standard spec. The people at Johnson Cat in riverside did the machine work. Great and caring bunch. The president Matt Merkel was above and beyond! The motor blueprint work was done by Dan Macknamara at Archer marine. Impressive work goes into the short block build. the most important measurement, is the static compression ratio. This careful spec is done by volumetric c/c liquid measures. Dan&Daves check twice approach revealed incorrect Pistons. A transcribed part number had delivered non turbo parts.
That would have been something I would have missed!
Thursday's brief sea trials were impressive. She jumped quickly on plane. And is effortless once loaded. Not quite broken yet. So I have no top end specs. It's been a journey.
Steve

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

neil c

Fish Killing Fool
Mar 28, 2011
long beach / rainbow harbor / shoreline village
Name
neil
Boat
34 Radovich/ Four Reel Sportfishing
Looks fantastic Steve !! Here is my new color combo. Looks like you had your dash redone also. I did whisper gray on the hull and stripe around the top. Stripped the bottom and epoxy coated it. Still working on her. I feel your pain on the wallet but you really have to love these boats. Congratulations on a beautiful job !! Tower looks great also!!

IMG_0797.jpg IMG_0832.jpg

Upvote 0

40Grit

Sep 9, 2009
Newport Beach California
Name
Steve Brown
Boat
Radovich 34
Two words. STEVE DEGROOTE

ZMAN
Yes he's an Artist, look carefully at the details around the upper station, how it goes together, the foot rest, and hand holds.
He draws the boat to scale first then creates the design. his work comes from years of evolution. My Project would never have this look without Steve's eye.

Upvote 0

40Grit

Sep 9, 2009
Newport Beach California
Name
Steve Brown
Boat
Radovich 34
Looks fantastic Steve !! Here is my new color combo. Looks like you had your dash redone also. I did whisper gray on the hull and stripe around the top. Stripped the bottom and epoxy coated it. Still working on her. I feel your pain on the wallet but you really have to love these boats. Congratulations on a beautiful job !! Tower looks great also!!

View attachment 748366 View attachment 748367
Thanks Neil. Your boat looks great, give me a call when you get a chance.

Upvote 0

ZMAN

Jun 20, 2004
San Clemente
Name
zack story
Boat
Parker
Yes he's an Artist, look carefully at the details around the upper station, how it goes together, the foot rest, and hand holds.
He draws the boat to scale first then creates the design. his work comes from years of evolution. My Project would never have this look without Steve's eye.
That would be a true statement.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
That thing is phenomenal. I'd love to see a full walk through video or something like that.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

mrsea

May 12, 2005
San Diego
Name
JohnC.
Boat
34' Radovich,Mister C
Awesome Job,Steve!
I'm going to have one someday..i hope!

-JohnC.