Radon 15 foot Pilothouse offshore performance?

WHALER21

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 27, 2006
Cerritos
Name
Carlos
Boat
BW Justice 17', Parker 2320, 15' Boston Whaler & 16' G3
Looking for some feedback on how a 15 foot Radon Pilothouse performans offshore, especially during rough water conditions. I noticed that the boat sits very low to the water, l assume by design. Does anybody have any experience how this boat would handle during steep waves with short intervals? Is this strictly a bay and close to shore boat or an island capable boat that can get you back safely. Feedback would be appreciated.

Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
Will be interested to hear what people have to say in response to your question.

IMHO, not the right application for this boat. Just because it's a Radon doesn't mean it can handle anything, it's still a 15-foot boat and I think the beam on these is 6'6" so not much displacement.

Cool, fun, hip and certainly trendy but if you wanna go offshore your money would be much better spent on something more competent. There's a guy in the sale section trying to sell a 17' Radon for over $50k. Imagine what you could buy for $50k.

Would help you build a solid following on social media if you are into that sort of thing...

knot keely

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 9, 2014
The Bight
Name
Dan
Boat
Anderson 22 - Slingshot
The 15’s were originally designed as river boats. Relatively flat bottom, minimal (if any) belly, and low freeboard all-around. They’re not like the other Radons. It’s a coastal/inshore/bay boat. I know that some guys fish the Channel Islands in them, but you’d have to be really careful with picking your days.

Reactions: Canyon and hotstick

WHALER21

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 27, 2006
Cerritos
Name
Carlos
Boat
The 15’s were originally designed as river boats. Relatively flat bottom, minimal (if any) belly, and low freeboard all-around. They’re not like the other Radons. It’s a coastal/inshore/bay boat. I know that some guys fish the Channel Islands in them, but you’d have to be really careful with picking your days.
Thank you Erin and knott keely for the great feedback. I was in the market for one to use up north in bodega bay but will look at another brand that's more offshore capable. Thanks again

Long Beach Bob

May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
Having been offshore for the last 50 years and survived many a mishap, I wouldn't go offshore in anything less than 23'....Mother nature only tolerates us, at best....A short boat can mean a short time on earth....Three bilge pumps minimum....small boats sink a lot faster than big ones....:)

Reactions: WHALER21

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
The problem isn't the brand, it's the size.

WHALER21

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 27, 2006
Cerritos
Name
Carlos
Boat
The problem isn't the brand, it's the size.
I think the larger Radons are great boats with a great reputation for durability and offshore capabilities.To clarify, I was in the market for a smaller boat that l could tow up to bodega bay that would be much easier than the Parker 2320 l currently have. Believe me, if l didn't think Radon was a great brand, I wouldn't have even looked at the smaller Radon in the first place. But because of the feedback the other BD members provided, I will save my money and not be disappointed with the purchase. Who knows, I may never find what I'm looking for in that size range that meets my needs. Thanks again to knot keely, Errin and long beach Bob that left valuable feedback that saved me from making an disappointing purchase

knot keely

Aug 9, 2014
The Bight
Name
Dan
Boat
Anderson 22 - Slingshot
The Radon/Radoncraft 16’er may be what you’re looking for, but they’re rare as hen’s teeth.

WHALER21

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 27, 2006
Cerritos
Name
Carlos
Boat
The Radon/Radoncraft 16’er may be what you’re looking for, but they’re rare as hen’s teeth.
Noted and thanks knot keely for the suggestion. I will keep that in mind.