spinner

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 2, 2007
irvine
Name
mikegooing
Boat
none
i read some of the posts on this, and some want to see the scientific data. by the time the scientists have accumulated the data and authorized it release, the problem will have already manifested itself and you will have unexplained symptoms that are now related to this condition. they have already scintificaaly documented and advised all parents with children born during the fukishima incident tohave thier children tested for thyroid issues and or congenital thyroid issues as a result of enviornmental exposeure. wouldnt you like to be ahead of the curve instead of behind it?gooooooooing

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white
Just another article,study,opinion,whatever you want to call it.With all the differing information who really knows the truth,well maybe the government but i wouldnt trust them either.

prater

Oct 16, 2007
lake havasu city, AZ
Name
michael
Boat
luhrs 30 open, "Arms Wide Open"
As a trained scientist, I find these articles irresponsible and politically based. I am taking NEITHER side in this debate. In this particular article, there are only two statements of alleged facts: There is a 3% increase in Cs levels and the FDA finds the levels safe. All other statements are given without any supportive data and are therefore opinion. I await a legitimate study with good controls and no bias (from either side).

OnoEric

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 13, 2003
San Marcos
Name
Eric
Boat
Grady White 208
As a trained scientist, I find these articles irresponsible and politically based. I am taking NEITHER side in this debate. In this particular article, there are only two statements of alleged facts: There is a 3% increase in Cs levels and the FDA finds the levels safe. All other statements are given without any supportive data and are therefore opinion. I await a legitimate study with good controls and no bias (from either side).
:appl:

This might be as close as you get...

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/05/30/1221834110.full.pdf

"This study shows that the committed effective dose received by humans based on a year’s average consumption of contaminated PBFT from the Fukushima accident is comparable to, or less than, the dose we routinely obtain from naturally occurring radionuclides in many food items, medical treatments, air travel, or other background sources (28). Although uncertainties remain regarding the effects of low levels of ionizing radiation on humans (30), it is clear that doses and resulting cancer risks associated with consumption of PBFT in eastern and western Pacific waters are low and below levels that should cause concern to even the most exposed segments of human populations. Fears regarding environmental radioactivity, often a legacy of Cold War activities and distrust of governmental and scientific authorities, have resulted in perception of risks by the public that are not commensurate with actual risks."

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white
I have to ask what are "alleged facts" ?

salty brain

Nothing but salt between the ears
Sep 25, 2012
OC
Name
Dave
Boat
what ever floats
so if I eat a shit load of blue fin i might glow in the dark. Cool I can save money on light bulbs and buy more trips, thanks for the info

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
i read some of the posts on this, and some want to see the scientific data. by the time the scientists have accumulated the data and authorized it release, the problem will have already manifested itself and you will have unexplained symptoms that are now related to this condition. they have already scintificaaly documented and advised all parents with children born during the fukishima incident tohave thier children tested for thyroid issues and or congenital thyroid issues as a result of enviornmental exposeure. wouldnt you like to be ahead of the curve instead of behind it?gooooooooing
I really dont feel a need to be ahead of the curve for japanese anything. Realtime studies of what is actually in the ocean currents headed to the west coast all have radiation levels way below what international agencies consider "safe". in other words: pretty much normal levels.

prater

Oct 16, 2007
lake havasu city, AZ
Name
michael
Boat
luhrs 30 open, "Arms Wide Open"
I have to ask what are "alleged facts" ?
The first alleged fact is the claim of 3% increase in Cs levels, as the data resulting in this claim is not presented. The second alleged fact is the FDA claim, as no documents to support this assertion are given. I assume both of these are true, although the author must be taken at his word, unless someone wishes to verify. Everything else is the opinion of the author, not scientific evidence.

Remember, the most egregious abuse of the scientific process are statements by supposed scientists which are unsupported by evidence, which are then repeated as fact by readers, and eventually assumed as fact by the general population. Classic examples are press releases supported by a particular political party, which are then published as fact in the media. Specifically, see the article presented by the OP, or, for that matter the MLPA.

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Here's a fact,our fish buyer had some of our locally caught bluefin returned to him and asked us not to bring em anymore even though we were down to $3 a lb.

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
My favorite novel has a quote, "In times like these, when their fat little comforts are threatened, you can rest assured that science is the first thing men abandon." I'm going off memory there but I think that's it word-for-word. I have found that to hold true in many things. Anybody worried about this story would probably be better served by taking one step back from the microwave oven when it's running. Also FWIW there are also good studies indicating that mercury levels on the fish we catch have not increased in at least 100 years.

Most of the news media deals in hype. The medical industry, at an alarming level, also deals in hype. When you start to boil it down and operate on the facts life gets a lot less scary...

IronMikeAC

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond

WOW!. This sounds like a serious matter in need of fact finding and data collection!

I therefore am going to make it my personal mission in 2014 to sample as many pieces of Bluefin Tuna as I can from establishments through California. I will also accept freshly caught and processed bluefin from our sports fishing fleet as part of the research. I am accepting donations of cash as well as the aforementioned sport caught bluefin (sushi cut, vacuum packed by FiveStar or equivalent). Please pm me for the donation details. Anyone can also volunteer to work with me as a research assistant.

I will reports the results of my study extensive at the end of 2014. The results will include:

• My beginning and ending weight
  • Taste of the bluefin
  • Texture
  • Compatibility with soy sauce and wasabi
  • My overall level of satisfaction and happyness after a year of sampling prime bluefin sushi.
  • Radioactive reading of my whole body before and after.

Stay tuned for results!

IM