Radio Antenna Recommendation

iddooer

Sep 21, 2010
Seattle
Name
Lee
Boat
22' ThunderJet Outboard offshore
I had some issues out on the water yesterday and was trying to call out on the radio. I guess people were able to hear me but i was not able to hear the response form the one responding back to my call who was pretty far away. Someone in the same area figured out it was me and came over to relay my message. Im thinking im due for a new antenna I have the Lowrance link 8 radio and a low budget Shakespeare antenna What would you recommend the best antenna for a better range be when going offshore. Any help would be appreciated thanks for the help Lee

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
More likely, you are in need of a radio. Almost without exception, if an antenna works for transmitting, it will work at least as well for receiving. Sounds like a sensitivity problem with your radio, but it could be something as simple as you had the squelch up too high or the volume down too low (or there is on board interference overpowering the incoming signal). You might want to try a test with a handheld.

Upvote 0

PNW Drifter

Almost A Member
Feb 11, 2017
West Seattle
Name
Joe
Boat
Grady White Seafarer 228
Also your antenna connector could have a bad connection. I put a brand new antenna on and my splice didn't go well. Trying again. I have similar radio performance to OP. Is there a signal meter out there to measure it?

Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Digital Antennas are a step up from Shakespeare Black or white coloring

www. digitalantenna.com/prods/vhfantenna_8. html

Copy and remove the two spaces for the link to work.

The Shakespeare are prone to the solder connections having issues

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    Like mentioned before. Check your connector.
    Antennas make the radio. Expensive radio won't perform without a decent antenna.

Like John mentioned Digital antennas are good and comes with an easy connector to use.

Morad are very good antennas. For VHF most of the AK commercial fleet uses Morad. They ship out a bunch to the Coast Guard et cetera. The only problem I've seen with them is being taken out by a confused bird and I don't think that's a problem we'd have. IE big lights on, blowing like hell, night and snowing. They are a local Bellingham company. That's what I put on my boat.

Upvote 0

iddooer

Sep 21, 2010
    Seattle
    Name
    Lee
    Boat
    22' ThunderJet Outboard offshore
    Like mentioned before. Check your connector.
    Antennas make the radio. Expensive radio won't perform without a decent antenna.

Like John mentioned Digital antennas are good and comes with an easy connector to use.

Morad are very good antennas. For VHF most of the AK commercial fleet uses Morad. They ship out a bunch to the Coast Guard et cetera. The only problem I've seen with them is being taken out by a confused bird and I don't think that's a problem we'd have. IE big lights on, blowing like hell, night and snowing. They are a local Bellingham company. That's what I put on my boat.
    Thanks for all the input. I’ll check my connections first and also the other antennas recommended. Thanks

Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    Digital has a good reputation, however I had one rust out in a couple years, replaced with a Shakespeare phase III some years back, still going strong.

Upvote 0

Gooch Larue

Aug 22, 2014
    Name
    Chris Holmes
    Boat
    29' North River "Thunder Road"
    I have had great results with the Morad mentioned before. You will need an extension to get it to 6’. Plus don’t expect to win style points they are very simple and ugly lookin, but are excellent tools.

Reactions: Captain Decent
    Upvote 0