jim-m

Jim
Jan 7, 2010
Cypress,ca
Name
Jim
Boat
Bayliner Element F21
I have a Lowrance HDS 12 live, Halo 20+ and Point-1 installed and Navico chart , wanted radar overlay. Lowrance plotter only shows a few rings on overlay but no radar, Spent 3 hours on the phone with customer service 1-2 tier level of support and sent photos of plotter screen and radar screen to Lowrance. They are confused looking for help. What is missing for radar overlay??

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Check your settings and data sources to make sure all the compass and directional indicators are using the Point-1 compass. It must be using the compass for reference to see radar overlays. If you turn on your radar screen and its not steady but rotating slightly, it means its not using the compass as a directional reference.

On your chart plotter screen, is there an option to turn on the radar as an overlay on the side panel?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    You might have your radar set out too far. Change your settings on your plotter and radar so you are within 3/4 of a mile better yet within 1/4 mile. JMO.

Upvote 0

jim-m

Jim
    Jan 7, 2010
    Cypress,ca
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Bayliner Element F21
    You might have your radar set out too far. Change your settings on your plotter and radar so you are within 3/4 of a mile better yet within 1/4 mile. JMO.
    Thank you. I tried that too even to 300'. All other overlays work fine on the plotter. Starting to think it is a defective heading sensor or issues with NMEA

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Thank you. I tried that too even to 300'. All other overlays work fine on the plotter. Starting to think it is a defective heading sensor or issues with NMEA

If you have a bad heading sensor, your chartplotter would spin around while you sit stationary in one spot.

Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
    Nov 28, 2015
    Tustin
    Name
    Croaker
    Boat
    Arima Sea Pacer
    I had to calibrate my heading sensor on my Simrad MFD. Instructions came with the sensor.

It doesn’t say so, but I had to turn to the right.

How do I calibrate the heading sensor in my Point-1?

If, at any time the heading data from your Point-1 becomes incorrect, calibration of the Point-1 heading sensor can be done in one of two ways:
     From the HDS unit. HDS Gen2 and Gen2 Touch (with 2.0 software or higher) have the ability to initiate a calibration sequence from the Device list. Simply select the Point-1 from the device list and enter the Details page. From here, press calibrate, you will be taken to the instructions on how to perform a calibration. This is done by driving the boat in several circles. Press Calibrate to begin the process.
     From the Point-1 itself. If you have an HDS Gen2 without 2.0 software, or an HDS Gen1, you can calibrate the Point-1 by unplugging it from the NMEA backbone and plugging it back in. Immediately following this begin turning you boat in a slow circle. The completion of one circle initiates the calibration process, and a second should complete it.
    If after completing either of these processes the Point-1 still does not show a heading, retry the calibration.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

jim-m

Jim
    Jan 7, 2010
    Cypress,ca
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Bayliner Element F21
    Well I gave up and returned Point-1 due to HDS not recognizing radar overlay, then I find out Point-1 are on a national back order probably on one those cargo ships anchored in Long Beach. I will ask for help again if the second one has issues. Thanks again for all for your help.

Upvote 0