Quiver Questions

Brown Thunder

• Jun 19, 2020
    Santa Monica, CA
    Name
    Raul Martinez
    Boat
    Grande
    After intermittently renting rods once every few years to target yellowtail on full day boats to the Coronado Islands, I decided to take the plunge and get more serious about fishing this year. I've begun building my quiver and would like any suggestions on what I need to round out my gear over the next six months in preparation for the coming year. I'd like to target rock fish, yellowtail, yellowfin tuna, and bluefin tuna on boats leaving out of Southern California between March and October on full day, overnight, and 1.5 day trips. I'd like to take anywhere from 2-4 setups on the boat (e.g. a 25-30# setup for bait and light irons, a 40-50# setup for bait and heavier irons, and an 80# setup for yo-yo, etc.). Since I'm new and still learning what styles of fishing I like, I'd prefer to buy quality used gear that is dependable but that I can easily sell as my taste in gear/style changes and/or I want to upgrade. I prefer 7-8' rods and currently fish straight braid to short (4') fluorocarbon leaders but am open to trying different rigs.

Here is what I have so far:

Rods:
    Phenix Abyss 809
    Calstar GF 800M
    Calstar WC970C

Reels:
    Komodo SS 364
    Komodo SS 463
    Fathom 40NLD2

Here is what I'm considering buying to round out my quiver:

Rods:
    Calstar GF 800H (for heavier irons and live bait)
    Calstar 700XH, 7400XH, 765XH, 775XH (for 80# setup)
    Penn Carnage II, 7', 50-130 braid (for 80# setup)

Reels:
    Fathom II 25NSD (for heavier irons)
    Fathom 25NLD2 (for live bait)

Thank you in advance for your suggestions on what gear I'm considering and anything else that I may be missing!

Levelartist

Oct 6, 2017
    Long Beach
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    Susan
    I say stick to Penn since their stuff is pretty solid when it comes to reels and are very easy to resell, the price and the value you get is hard to beat. This are my set ups and how I like to fish them. I recently added a 15LD2 and it’s great live bait reel for 25-30#. Most of my reels are paired with UC or Okuma PCH rods. Hope this helps.
    E9F65CFA-7A48-45B2-8694-E50D3B33E2D1.jpeg

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    I say stick to Penn since their stuff is pretty solid when it comes to reels and are very easy to resell, the price and the value you get is hard to beat. This are my set ups and how I like to fish them. I recently added a 15LD2 and it’s great live bait reel for 25-30#. Most of my reels are paired with UC or Okuma PCH rods. Hope this helps.
    View attachment 1323967
    Very well laid out the PCH Rod so sick and I too have a couple nld2 paired with some pch's...

Upvote 0

Rmpsocal

Almost A Member
    Jan 12, 2016
    San Pedro
    Name
    Rich P.
    Boat
    None
    You can’t go wrong with a dedicated surface iron setup, especially for those length of trips. A CalStar 90J and a Trinidad 20a are the gold standard for tossing the iron.

Also, imo, spend the money on the higher end reels and buy “factory wrapped” rods. The reels will last you a lifetime.

Reactions: Brown Thunder
    Upvote 0

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
    Aug 19, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Luke
    Boat
    none
    To make sure your investments are not duplicated I highly recommend you start with a “functionality“ list. List out the line classes and purpose of each outfit that you invision when done, i.e 20# for light line flylining sardines, 25# for fly lining YT and BF when the bite is tough, 30#, 40#, 50#, etc. Based on the type of trips and type of fishing you do your list will reflect your fishing profile. Next match your current outfits to each one of these specific functions. Then prioritize the gaps in the open functionality to guide your next purchase(s). I know this sound basic but I have seen guys many times buy rod/reels that are duplicates and stills have gaps. Add to the list yo/yo and surface outfits plus a heavy Flat Fall outfit. This simple listing then becomes your acquisition strategy and if you follow it you will not have duplicates and a well round arsenal. Good luck.

Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Bobby
    Boat
    Cattle Boats
    Your Phenix Abyss and Calstar 800M rods have a lot of overlap. I'd sell one of those and pick up a Calstar 800H for 40-50lb work and 775H for 60-80lb work. Also get the Penn 25nld2.

Komodo 364 / Calstar 970 - 20lb bait
    Komodo 463 / Calstar 800M - 30lb bait
    Penn Fathom 25nld2 / Calstar 800H - 40/50lb bait/jig
    Penn Fathom 40nld2 / Calstar 775H - 60-80lb yoyo/dropper/flatfall

This should cover you all the way through 3-5 day trips. Too many people make the mistake of buying a lot of rods that do the same thing. Make sure there's no overlap and cover as much techniques as possible.

Reactions: Brown Thunder
    Upvote 0

Brown Thunder

• Jun 19, 2020
    Santa Monica, CA
    Name
    Raul Martinez
    Boat
    Grande
    Thank you for all the wonderful feedback about functionality and avoiding overlap. I definitely agree. I just barely acquired the 800M and haven't fished it yet to see how I like it compared to the Abyss. I was thinking of taking them both to the park and throwing a 3 oz. weight with both Komodos to see if there was a combination that felt better for throwing light jigs like a Colt Sniper or other light irons. That would probably be the only reason I would keep an extra setup in that lower 25-30# range.

Upvote 0

Jordan

Part-time Angler | Full-time Kook
    Admin
    Oct 18, 2017
    Encinitas
    seastheslay.com
    Name
    Jordan Jennings
    Boat
    Everglades 325cc
    I've been lucky enough to fish a lot of different stuff from all the manufacturers. Penn Fathoms are solid & that 25 2-speed one of the best. Personally, my absolute fav + goes on every single trip + from go-to rock cod rig to bluefin up 80lbs is my Talica 10 2-speed w/ Seeker Black Steel G670-7' has by far seen the most action. Truly does everything well in our local fishery. You got some great options outlined above as well!

Reactions: Rmpsocal
    Upvote 0