FISHNFRANK

Almost A Member
Dec 24, 2004
Fullerton, CA
Name
Frank
Boat Name
Cabin
I just got back from a three day on the Royal Star. We were very slow the first day but late the second the fish got with it and bit hard from about 5-8 pm. We had several hits the last day throughout for 4-12 fish at a stop etc. It was 2.5 fish average per angler on 60-83 pound fish. 90% Of them in 65-78 lb range (we didn’t run into the real large units)...I got 3 from 66-78 lbs and the only smaller fish of 32 pounds. I broke off two more due to saw offs and tangles but the fish were really scrappy and everyone lost a few, despite a fantastic job by the crew. A buddy of mine did the same. They were biting 50lb line with fluorocarbon just fine. 90% of the bites were on sinker rigs with a 4 oz torpedo weight with a rubber band set one rod length above the hook. I was using 2/0 ringed mutus. There were only a handful on jigs or on fly line. Just bring a lot of 4 and 6 oz sinkers and some mid-sized rubber bands that fit through the weight eye. We were all scrounging for those at the end...it’s an awesome boat, awesome crew and awesome food. I’ve been fishing with them since 2001.

Upvote 0

Russ Scholl

Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat Name
Kayaks
I just got back from a three day on the Royal Star. We were very slow the first day but late the second the fish got with it and bit hard from about 5-8 pm. We had several hits the last day throughout for 4-12 fish at a stop etc. It was 2.5 fish average per angler on 60-83 pound fish. 90% Of them in 65-78 lb range (we didn’t run into the real large units)...I got 3 from 66-78 lbs and the only smaller fish of 32 pounds. I broke off two more due to saw offs and tangles but the fish were really scrappy and everyone lost a few, despite a fantastic job by the crew. A buddy of mine did the same. They were biting 50lb line with fluorocarbon just fine. 90% of the bites were on sinker rigs with a 4 oz torpedo weight with a rubber band set one rod length above the hook. I was using 2/0 ringed mutus. There were only a handful on jigs or on fly line. Just bring a lot of 4 and 6 oz sinkers and some mid-sized rubber bands that fit through the weight eye. We were all scrounging for those at the end...it’s an awesome boat, awesome crew and awesome food. I’ve been fishing with them since 2001.
Thanks for your report.

Reactions: FISHNFRANK
Upvote 0

FISHNFRANK

Almost A Member
Dec 24, 2004
Fullerton, CA
Name
Frank
Boat Name
Cabin
Once nice thing about the trip was that everyone on the boat caught one of the +65 fish so the catch was really well distributed. Also: think twice about using long 8 foot plus rods. A few guys lost bigger fish on longer rods, they just couldn’t get leverage. I use no more than 6.5 (I’m short) but 7 seems to be okay.

Reactions: esgeo
Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat Name
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Reactions: RichG
Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat Name
    NA
    Hey, what was the best technique with the sinker rig? Slowly let it out? Hold it at a certain depth? Wind and stop retrieve? Also, how do you keep the circle hook from sliding through and catching the bait in the side? I've resorted to shoulder hooking when using mutus, but is there a better method?

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat Name
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Hey, what was the best technique with the sinker rig? Slowly let it out? Hold it at a certain depth? Wind and stop retrieve? Also, how do you keep the circle hook from sliding through and catching the bait in the side? I've resorted to shoulder hooking when using mutus, but is there a better method?

I would say shoulder hooking is the best method anyway unless you are on an all day soak and I mean all day. If done right they live a long time, stay lively and swim naturally back on the retrieve and get bit.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

FISHNFRANK

Almost A Member
    Dec 24, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Name
    Frank
    Boat Name
    Cabin
    The way the crew suggested to us: Put the rubber band through the Weight eye and back again to create a loop on one end of the weight. Lay the rubber band against the line, then twist (by swinging the weight) around the line and then pull the weight through the first loop once more - it shouldn’t slide at all. Pretty easy and it will break free on a bite. A nose hook makes more sense with this method.

Reactions: esgeo and FishRock
    Upvote 0

floydlpackard

Jan 24, 2012
    Kennewick, WA USA
    Name
    Floyd
    Boat Name
    none
    I am no expert, but on one trip I followed some guys that were attaching the rubber band to the line with a half hitch and then attaching the sinker to the rubber band with a half hitch like the video shows. Then they would twirl the sinker around the line down toward the hook. This would wrap the rubber band around the leader. The sinker was then inverted back to the start and the end of the sinker was tucked under part of the first half hitch to the line. I think I remember it that way. I need to go try it again. You could control the sinker slip on the line by how many wraps and how tight they were.

Reactions: FISHNFRANK
    Upvote 0

FISHNFRANK

Almost A Member
    Dec 24, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Name
    Frank
    Boat Name
    Cabin
    I hooked 6 on that sinker rig (lost two)Typically I just let it down until about a quarter of the line was gone on a Penn 12 VSX, stop for ten seconds or so, let out another ten yards, repeat until bit or I felt the bait had it. I did have a dull lead sinker eaten once but the fish immediately spit it out. Don’t get too crazy about figuring out the depth, there were fish all along the water column vertically

Upvote 0