tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Just got back, hopefully others aboard will also chime in.
Headed straight south for two days to get in on the excellent yellowfin tuna bite going on at The Ridge.
Found the 15-40 pound tuna eager to bite both day and night.
Best technique was flylined sardines on 30-pound tackle, with 4-feet of 30-pound fluoro, and a #2 Owner Mutu circle hook.
However, plenty were also caught on sardines flylined on 40-pound tackle, along with various jigs, though no popper fish were landed.
Some small-grade yellowtail, triggerfish, and various other bottom species were also caught.
After reaching our trip limits, we began working our way north, hitting San Pablo, Punta Negra, and Punta Canoas for moderate numbers of yellowtail, Primarily on yo-yo iron, with a blue/white Tady 4/0 the favored choice . The yellow averaged 12-15 pounds, with a few bigger units landed. Plenty of barracuda, bonito, calico bass, whitefish, sheephead, etc. were mixed in.
The final day was spent chasing rockfish and lingcod off Geronimo Island with great results, and even one surprise yellowtail.
Skipper Jonathan Yamate, along with the crew of Joe Soares, Dylan Bailey, Jake Luhrs, Steve Gregonis, Bob Yates, and Grant Kulberg did a great job, even during periods of tuna mayhem.

Photo: Aaron Chase with a 30-pound yellowtail.

RESIZED Chase JP yellowtail.JPG

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Shogun crewman Jake Luhrs does the gaffing honors on a nice tuna for Steen Henriksen.

RESIZED Steen tuna.JPG

Reactions: jerryl and ChicoBob
Upvote 0

fishsteen

Mar 20, 2017
Nor-cal
Name
Steen
Boat
21 Jetcraft
I was on the epic trip not sure words can tell you how good it was fishing on the Shogun. The YFT bite was off the hook if your bait swam 5 ft it got slammed. On day 2 I was on fire not sure how many I landed and released it was crazy. after tuna we headed for the beach and fished YT and I did fairly well on my first YT I ever caught, I can’t believe how a 12 lb can fight. Than the captain said we will try for Halibut, I thought halibut in Mexico waters, sure why not. I landed 4 flats. Last day was for lingcod and bottomfish, and the lingcod showed up in quantity and quality, not sure how many lings where landed but it was way north of 50, there was also a few doubles on a single jig. Not sure I will ever see fishing like that’s again but I hope we have the same kind of trip next year. I would like a big shout out to Senior Tuna (Steve Carson) and Penn for sponsoring the trip, prizes and loaner tackle that is top notch and to the other vendors. Let me tell you Senior Tuna can flat out fish, he was always hooked up and landing a variety of fish on everything under the sun. Plus he always had the time to tie a new hook on or give great advice. Also a great crew and captain on the Shogun.

Upvote 0