tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Just got back, will give a short recap, and hopefully others will chime in.
Headed straight south upon departure, to take advantage of the excellent yellowtail action at Alijos.
Smooth traveling, and when we got to the area, spent the next 2 1/2 days moving back and forth between the rocks and Alijos Bank.
No sign of wahoo, but pretty good surface iron, flyline, and yo-yo results during the daytime on 15-25 pound yellowtail near the Rocks, plus plenty of nice bottom fish.
Night-time was phenomenal at Alijos Bank, with 30-45 pound yellowtail favoring live or slabbed mackerel on 80-100 pound dropper loop rigs, but also more than willing to hit heavy yo-yo iron.
Everybody had plenty of yellowtail, so we headed back toward the bluefin area, with decent weather the whole way.
Checked out the area below the fleet, and found an area holding bigger bluefin, and managed to land 9 of them between 100-200 pounds on flying fish under the kite.
Spend the final day among the fleet, and boated 31 bluefin between 15-55 pounds, mostly on flylined sardines [I managed to get one on the slide with an 80gr. Williamson Gomame jig].
As always, the food was awesome.
Captain Rene and the Shogun crew worked incredibly hard, especially considering the "24-hour fishing cycle" in play for both yellowtail and bluefin.

Last edited:

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Sounds like a fun trip! How was Slow pitch on those Yellowtail?

The really big ones were biting at night, so I opted not to use Slow-Pitch in deference to the other anglers.
I did catch a nice 25+pounder during the day on a "Long Fall" rod and presentation; that is going to be yet another fun new fishing style.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    Tuna, thanks again for the report and info. Hope to use some of it on RR 8 day in a few weeks. Can you give a description of "long fall" and specific type of jig?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Tuna, thanks again for the report and info. Hope to use some of it on RR 8 day in a few weeks. Can you give a description of "long fall" and specific type of jig?

The jig was just one of my standard go-to's; a Williamson Koika 200gr.
    "Long Fall" is really just a variation of Slow-Pitch, except the rods are longer, and you make a very large [and faster] upsweep, and let the jig fall 10-12 feet.
    I actually have used that presentation quite often for several years, but did not realize it was a distinct "thing".
    The fish just want what they want, ha-ha.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Massive 20-plus pound sheephead caught by surfcasting expert Bill Varney.

RESIZED Varney sheephead.JPG

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Biggest kite fish caught by Larry Fitzgerald; 212 pounds whole weight.
    Assist by Joe Soares.

RESIZED 212 test rod.JPG

tom fowlks
    tom fowlks
    Congratulations Larry!! Beautiful fish! So you know, I caught one of nearly identical size within a day or 2 of yours on Brandon Hayward’s new boat (the Freeman) A first for me … “Stateroom A” still hanging tough!!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Chuck Roast

Jul 16, 2012
    LA CA USA
    Name
    Chuck Roast
    Boat
    20' Skip
    All I can say is WOW! Epic trip! Best fishing for big yellowtail I have ever seen. And thank God that big Bluefin was hooked on the kite gear! Nice weather too. And a big thanks again too you Steve. It is very evident that You really put a lot of time and effort into these trips, and they are always a lot of fun. Also want to thank the crew of the SHOGUN for doing such a wonderful job and keeping me laughing! Looking forward to the next one. Got to start looking for a rod and what line for that fathom 15xnld2, for rockfish. What do you think Steve?
    Thanks again,
    Larry Dickson

Upvote 0