Quick Report: "PHENOMENAL" PENN Fishing University 8-day trip aboard American Angler, Oct. 9-17, 2021

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Just a quick recap on our just-returned trip.
Will post photos later, and hopefully others who were aboard will post their pictures and experiences.

Departed just before the storm arrived, and were counting on being relatively protected in the lee of Guadalupe Island.
That was mostly true, although even there the weather could be felt.
The tuna bite was pretty consistent for the five straight days, with the biggest fish down near Outer Rock, but also the most weather exposure.
A handful of 30-50 pounders were caught, but most were in the 60-100 pound class, along with a nice mixture of 100-120's, and about a half-dozen that were over 120. The three largest were 128, 127.5, and 125.5.
There were some "quick bites", but mostly a longer soak was needed, with 60-pound topshots getting bit best, but 80-pound was productive if you kept at it.
I almost forgot to mention there were NO SHARKS AT ALL.
The smallest hook you could get away with on a given pound test was also a big help; generally that meant an Owner Mutu size 1/0 on the 60-pound, and a 2/0 on the 80 pound; with shoulder-hooked sardines the best bait.
Some tuna were landed on greenback mackerel and scads, but again a bit more effort was required.
A few yellowtail were caught among the tuna, including a 51-pounder, but on the final day, the weather allowed us to venture to the backside, for a fair number of 35-48 pound yellowtail, mostly on yo-yo jigs.
As always, Captain Ray Lopez and the crew of the American Angler were exemplary.
Will add more later, but wanted to create a spot where the rest of the anglers could post up.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report. Look forward to your pics.
    Glad you all had a good time
    on this trip. Solid work.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Sounds like a super fun trip congrats!

I'm trying to get Amy and me on this trip for October 8 - 16, 2022; fingers crossed; come on, Lori!

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Jeff Ingram of PENN scored this nice yellowfin on the kite rig, using the new PENN Carnage III 80-150 rail rod.
    Captain Ray Lopez and Kirk LaRocco did the gaffing honors.

RESIZED Jeff rail shot.JPG

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Jeff Ingram of PENN with a nice tuna.

Jeff tuna pose RESIZED.JPG