tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Quick report on our just-returned PENN Fishing University 1.5 day trip onboard the New Lo-An, Oct. 27-28, 2021.
The weather forecasts were very mixed, and the offshore bluefin were a huge question mark, so Captain Adam Williams opted to head south in search of yellowfin tuna and kelp paddy yellowtail.
A long run all night proved to be perfectly fine weather wise, and we spent the rest of the day in the 110-125 mile range, with only a couple of skipjack caught trolling making it into the boat before lunch time.
At 1:30 PM, and at about 110 miles, we stopped on a kelp paddy that was holding decent numbers of fish, and we decked a number of yellowtail up to about 10 pounds, along with 3 dorado, some skipjack, and a surprise sprinkling 25-pound class yellowfin tuna.
Hitting the same paddy a couple of more times yielded a few yellowtail and skipjack, but no more tuna or dorado.
The rest of the afternoon was spent picking away at skipjack, though we did see some tuna boils and meter marks.
Best results came on live sardines flylined on 25-pound line with a #2 Owner Gorilla Light J-hook, but some fish were also hooked on 80gr. Williamson Gomame jigs in purple prism.
The ocean almost totally flattened out by about 3:00 PM.
Total score:
45 yellowtail
40 skipjack tuna
5 yellowfin tuna
3 dorado
A great time was had by all, and as usual, the New Lo-An's crew of Captain Adam Williams, along with Ben, Dylan, Aaron, Max and Raul were awesome.

Bendo RESIZED.JPG

Last edited:

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report/info/pics. Great trip for fall.
    Things change right before Haloween
    it seems. One time in November, I caught
    the latest flyline caught Albacore in SD
    History I'm told...on Producer. Go figure.
    "You'll never know, unless you GO fishing"

Upvote 0