tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat Name
Bass Tracker 16
Not a PENN Fishing University trip, I just wanted to get out and test a few things, plus put some mileage on the shiny new Carnage III "west coast" rods [factory issue]. Prior to getting them, I had been using the all-black "stealth" field-test rods.
Left at 8:00 PM Thursday 5/18, drove about 80 miles south, and started looking around at about 4:00 AM.
Running and gunning on scattered schools that did not want to co-operate, only one 50-pound bluefin caught right at sunrise on a knife jig.
Fish were scarce until after lunch, when we hooked a few on sinkered baits and various jigs. Almost all of them were 15-25 pounds, though I got lucky and got an 84-pounder.
Stopped on around 6 kelp paddies, only two had any yellowtail at all.
We worked our way north, continuing to stop on scattered schools, with the occasional bite on 15-25 pounders, mostly on sinkered baits, and I think one or two on flylined baits. I managed to get three 20-pounders using a 170 gram Williamson Kensaki jig, retrofitted with a 2/0 Owner ST66 treble.
The last hour before making the 7-hour trek home was spent with "the fleet", and got a few more schoolies on sinkered baits.
29 passengers; 21 bluefin and 3 yellowtail.
Weather was fairly flat the whole time, but there was a little bit of a chill wind, so be sure to at least bring a sweatshirt.
Captain Sandro Viola and crew of the Pacifica were exemplary as always.

RESIZED Steve 2022 bluefin 3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat Name
Shogun
Not a PENN Fishing University trip, I just wanted to get out and test a few things, plus put some mileage on the shiny new Carnage III "west coast" rods [factory issue]. Prior to getting them, I had been using the all-black "stealth" field-test rods.
Left at 8:00 PM Thursday 5/18, drove about 80 miles south, and started looking around at about 4:00 AM.
Running and gunning on scattered schools that did not want to co-operate, only one 50-pound bluefin caught right at sunrise on a knife jig.
Fish were scarce until after lunch, when we hooked a few on sinkered baits and various jigs. Almost all of them were 15-25 pounds, though I got lucky and got an 84-pounder.
Stopped on around 6 kelp paddies, only two had any yellowtail at all.
We worked our way north, continuing to stop on scattered schools, with the occasional bite on 15-25 pounders, mostly on sinkered baits, and I think one or two on flylined baits. I managed to get a couple of 20-pounders using a 170 gram Williamson Kensaki jig, retrofitted with a 2/0 Owner ST66 treble.
The last hour before making the 7-hour trek home was spent with "the fleet", and got a few more schoolies on sinkered baits.
29 passengers; 21 bluefin and 3 yellowtail.
Weather was fairly flat the whole time, but there was a little bit of a chill wind, so be sure to at least bring a sweatshirt.
Captain Sandro Viola and crew of the Pacifica were exemplary as always.

View attachment 1384973
Hey Steve
Thanks for the report well done. Tell us about the gear and rigging you caught that one on. Looks like direct tie.
Regards
Scott

Reactions: Chum_slicker
Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat Name
Bass Tracker 16
Hey Steve
Thanks for the report well done. Tell us about the gear and rigging you caught that one on. Looks like direct tie.
Regards
Scott

International 16VISX w/100-pound Berkley Pro-Spec solid braid. Rod is a Carnage III "West Coast" model, a 7 foot Rail Rod rated 80-130.
Good eye!
Williamson Koika 250gr. jig w/Owner #3/0 ST-66 treble hook.
Jig was "Daytime" rigging; direct tied to a 25-foot 100-pound wind-on.

Reactions: kbray001
Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat Name
Bass Tracker 16
Williamson Koika jig in the picture, Steve?

Williamson Koika 250gr., w/ Owner #3/0 ST-66 treble hook and also Owner rings.

Reactions: Anders1
Upvote 0

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat Name
Shogun
International 16VISX w/100-pound Berkley Pro-Spec solid braid. Rod is a Carnage III "West Coast" model, a 7 foot Rail Rod rated 80-130.
Good eye!
Williamson Koika 250gr. jig w/Owner #3/0 ST-66 treble hook.
Jig was "Daytime" rigging; direct tied to a 25-foot 100-pound wind-on.
How were you fishing that? Sink out, burning, yo yo? Give us a good description please. It’s really appreciated Steve.
Thanks
Scott

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat Name
Bass Tracker 16
How were you fishing that? Sink out, burning, yo yo? Give us a good description please. It’s really appreciated Steve.
Thanks
Scott

On this particular day, all of my jig bites came "on the sink".
From what I observed, most all of the other anglers' jig bites were also on the sink.

Reactions: Scott McPherson
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.