Quick report-Overnight on the Ocean Odyssey 9/4/11

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by 2MAYEtoes, Sep 5, 2011.

1. 2MAYEtoes

2MAYEtoes Mackerel Maker

Name:
    Cristin Kelly
    Boat:
    Privateer
    92 BFT 15-20# (my guesstimate, didn't weight any) for 32 anglers. Count online says 30 anglers but i think that's a type-o, pretty sure I saw fished tagged with #31 & 32.

Majority of fish were on 20# flouro, 2 or 1/0 hooks, some people caught on bigger hooks up to 3/0. One passenger, Tyler caught 5 of his 8 fish w/a curado-good times. We saw a blue whale, I wondered if we could harpoon it-he said he'd get it with the curado. Unfortunately the whale sank down, maybe next time :Rambo_Throwing_Kniv

Captain & crew were AWESOME! So polite, helpful and friendly. I will definitely fish this boat again, Aaron and Dezi (sp?) were especially helpful.

We left H&M around 9ish last night and headed to the bait barge. Most of the bait was not great but the captain & crew were very careful about scooping it and loading it. Weather was just bumpy enough for me to be seasick and chum off and on all day. Some passengers seemed to stay in their bunk all day, I only saw them once or twice the whole time but everyone went home with fish.

Fished the tuna pens and there were tons of boats out there packed very close together-it reminded me Mission bay on a holiday weekend. Captain did a great job of putting us on fish. Unfortunately the group, myself included farmed a LOT of them. My final count was four, two in the first stop and two in the last stop. I farmed 3 during the middle of the day because I was being impatient and pushing too hard on the drag.

I didn't take many pictures but I know there were several other BDers on there who can add more pictures or contribute to the report.

[​IMG]

edited to add, the bite was consistent pretty much all day from day break until we left in the afternoon. Once none were hanging he'd motor up and start the drift again.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  2. STAYBent619

STAYBent619 Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Yeah I wish I owned a boat

Nice!! I was about to jump on this trip as well as the Coral Gable and pussed out on both trips (Money)....Im gonna go kill'em next week

3. TheGunslinger

TheGunslinger gary

Name:
    Gary Nordyke
    Boat:
    48 Pacemaker Gunslinger
    Nice report Christin!! Thanks

4. TheGunslinger

TheGunslinger gary

Name:
    Gary Nordyke
    Boat:
    48 Pacemaker Gunslinger
    Sorry Cristin. Nice Bluefin!! G.

5. rudedogsurfrat

rudedogsurfrat Newbie

Name:
    Rudy
    Boat:
    none
    one of my favorite boats. Great captain. clean boat. clean bunks and cubby's

6. carbonbass

carbonbass Newbie

Name:
    justin
    how much did it run and what landing was this boat out of ? Nice fishies :hali_olutta:

7. 2MAYEtoes

2MAYEtoes Mackerel Maker

Name:
    Cristin Kelly
    Boat:
    Privateer
    Yes, the boat was very clean & they kept the bathrooms extremely clean-which was nice. It was amazing that there was no pee over spray/smell considering the rough conditions.

The boat is very large, 85' and there is plenty of room to fish. The bunks are narrow but there is a lot of room, if that makes any sense. Plus you can put your stuff in giant cubbies so it isn't crowding your bunk. The galley is quite large & the boat has a large bait capacity.

You've got to set your priorities straight. Fishing money comes first, everything else is secondary. :p: If you snooze you lose & the fish are there now. Good luck next week!

H&M landing. It was $225 including permits, soda & water. They refunded $8 at the landing when I turned in my Mexican permit. Fuel surcharge was $10, JP was $10, beers were $3, not sure how much meals were. My total galley tab was only $95 including snacks, food, two t-shirts and fish cleaning.

8. mbtuna

mbtuna Grand Poobah - Team OMA

Name:
    Jim "Hammer Time" Hogan
    Boat:
    None
    Great report Cristin! Thanks for the detail.

9. marlyn

marlyn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Damn i was on the legend and there were no cute girls fishing only a bunch of fat bald dudes!WTG cristin.

10. 2MAYEtoes

2MAYEtoes Mackerel Maker

Name:
    Cristin Kelly
    Boat:
    Privateer
    LOL & thanks.

11. slief

slief Registered Lurker

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2680 Cat
    It was great meeting you! Wish I had better luck. I don't think the fish liked my Vanish 20# fouro leader near as I could tell! Not sure why I had that in my bag and not my other 20# flouro leader. Note to self.. Leave the Vanish in the fresh water bag where it belongs.

Boat and crew were excellent! Tyler definitely killed em!

12. Blacksheep5150

Blacksheep5150 Newbie

Name:
    Craig
    Boat:
    None
    It was a great trip . Seem to be only one jerk on the boat but he mellowed . Overall I think we farmed as many fish as we caught . For my self farmed 7 landed 4 . I'll blame it on not going out in a couple years. Lol. It was a pleasure fishing with you christin and all others . The crew was great. Already Wanting to get back out.

13. 2MAYEtoes

2MAYEtoes Mackerel Maker

Name:
    Cristin Kelly
    Boat:
    Privateer
    It was nice to meet you guys too! @Craig-I wasn't gonna bring him up but I'm glad he calmed down and was polite to me the whole time.

14. T16mog

T16mog Newbie

Name:
    Tyler
    Boat:
    Still at the dealer....
    Cristin is was great fishing with you and Scott, it was great to finally meet you.

Cristin...lobster season is coming up. u in? hahaha. Scott that goes for you too.

Great trip, great boat. I wll def be out on that boat again. here are a couple of my pics....that Cristin so graciously took haha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

those tuna on the curado were fun...prolly need to replace the drags now tho...haha

15. 2MAYEtoes

2MAYEtoes Mackerel Maker

Name:
    Cristin Kelly
    Boat:
    Privateer
    Tyler, of course I'm in for bugs, you in? Go to my secret spot!

What great pictures you have, they look familiar...

16. the Goodlife

the Goodlife SMILE!!!!! YOUR NOT DEAD!

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    14 & 20' Bayliner, Thee Goodlife & Captin Morgan
    WTG!!! :hali_olutta: Sounds like you all Had a great trip... glad to see someone is out getting them!! :2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1: