Quick report: 8-day PENN Fishing University trip aboard Shogun; June 17-25, 2022

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat Name
Bass Tracker 16
Captain made the decision to blast straight down to the Ridge, to take advantage of a red-hot yellowtail bite.
After two days of running, I dropped a Rapala XRap 40 back, and was immediately hooked up as the boat slowed down.
Yellows boiled up right away, and were biting pretty much whatever you wanted to use all morning and early afternoon, but petered out as the afternoon wore on.
Yo-Yo iron, flylined sardines, surface iron, stickbaits, Slow Pitch Jigs, dropper loop; it was all sizzling.
The yellows ranged from 5 pound dinks to 40 pounders, and the majority were nice 15-25 pounders.
About a dozen nice 15-40 pound grouper also hit the deck, but no sign of wahoo or tuna.
After a couple of days, limits were reached, and we headed north to reports of scratchy bluefin action close to home.
True to form, the bluefin were extremely finicky, and we got just a handful from 10-42 pounds, with the kite, trolled plugs, and jigs each getting a few, with difficult weather adding to the challenge.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat Name
Bass Tracker 16
JP winner Reece Shaw and Shogun office manager Jen.

RESIZED JP winner.JPG

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
  • Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    American Angler
    Man, would have loved to win "First surface iron" yellowtail on that trip. :)

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat Name
    Bass Tracker 16
    Man, would have loved to win "First surface iron" yellowtail on that trip. :)

Speaking of surface iron yellowtail, I got this nice one while field-testing the new PENN Authority 4500 spinning reel on a vintage Tady A-1 light surface iron.

RESIZED Steve A1 yellow.JPG

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
  • Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    American Angler
    Speaking of surface iron yellowtail, I got this nice one while field-testing the new PENN Authority 4500 spinning reel on a vintage Tady A-1 light surface iron.

View attachment 1398482

Steve, it "Wounds" my soul seeing you throw the surface iron for yellowtail with a spinner... :)

Reactions: wahoononi
    Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat Name
    Bass Tracker 16
    Steve, it "Wounds" my soul seeing you throw the surface iron for yellowtail with a spinner... :)

Ha-Ha, I had a several of the new Authority models that I needed to put through their paces.
    Don't worry, I also caught several on my Torque 25N star drag.

Reactions: Noah & Scoot
    Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
  • Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    American Angler
    Ha-Ha, I had a several of the new Authority models that I needed to put through their paces.
    Don't worry, I also caught several on my Torque 25N star drag.
    Atta boy..!! :)

Upvote 0