tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Just returned from the 2.5 day PENN Fishing University trip aboard the Pacifica, with Captain Andrew Viola at the helm.
Spent both fishing days on, and in the vicinity of, the Tanner Bank.
First day's weather was a bit sporty, and bluefin were being bluefin. Plenty of them around the boat, but we worked hard to get 4 four big ones on the kite, and then "sundowner" flurry on the jigs, where we hooked six and landed four. Sizes ranged from 120-195 pounds.
Successful jigs were a mixture of older flatfall designs to knife-type jigs. Best weights were 250-300 gr, including the Williamson Kensaki in 280gr. in pink/silver/zebra glow.
Jig colors were across the board, but all seemed to have at least some "glow".
Day two saw the weather flatten out substantially, and the smaller fish showed in decent numbers.
Anchored up in the morning, a moderate bite on good quality 20-28 pound yellowtail was mostly on flylined sardines, but there was one yo-yo fish, and a number of yellows were broken off due to the rocky structure.
Mid-day had the school-grade 20-35 pound bluefin wanting to bite for awhile, but it was strictly a "finesse" situation, 25 pound line [or less] and a #2 hook with flylined sardines. I did not see any of the schoolie bluefin caught on jigs. There was also one more 120-pounder on the kite on day two.
Our second evening's try at bigger bluefin on jigs at sundown was not successful.
As always, the crew of Pacifica were exemplary: Andrew, Sandro, Brandon, Jacob, and Evan, with Nick in the galley.
Will post some photos later, and hopefully others who were aboard will post their experiences and photos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
Brother... Post this on the "Long Range" board. Not everyone will wander here... like I have.... finding your post. Good post... bring your picts to the LR board. Thanks.
wordfish330; The posts author is the Penn Representative and more or less maintains this Penn World site. He does at times post things on the Long Range board.

W
woodfish330
Thank you brother.... I know whio Steve is... was just a general suggestion... for more traction.
Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Jackpot winner Jim Spears took home a Fathom FTH40NLD2 reel and this nice plaque.

RESIZED JP winner.JPG

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Incoming!

RESIZED bluefin rail shot 1.JPG

Reactions: kbray001
Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
The school-size bluefin definitely responded best to "finesse" tackle.
This setup is a Fathom FTHII15SD reel, Carnage III CARWCIII1025C80 rod, 20 pound fluorocarbon, and a #2 Owner Gorilla Light hook.

RESIZED FIXED Steve bluefin 1.jpg

Reactions: kbray001 and esgeo
Upvote 0

Tubbs805

Tubbs805
Feb 25, 2019
Name
Tubbs805
Boat
21' Seaswirl Striper (retired)
91C42231-977C-4239-BAAE-F4CADD3C4B15.jpeg
Great Penn trip on the Pacifica Steve. Thanks for setting this one up and look forward to getting in on next year. Pacific’s Great Crew, Capt’s made it happen and this trip a little more productive than the rest of the fleet With persistence, knowledge, and just plain hard ass work. Food was awesomely done, you rock Nick.
Here’s my PB 150lbr and me resting after a 45min fight on my 80 lb jig outfit While crew gets my inhaled jig back.
Penn Fathom 40NLD2, Phenix Axis x2 7’2”
Shimano cream glow 250gm flatfall jig right at dark Sunday night.
THANKS AGAIN STEVE, PENN ROCKS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
[IMG alt="Tugboat64"]https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/data/avatars/s/199/199575.jpg?1614791536[/IMG]
Tugboat64
Did you get any over 100 for yourself???
Today at 9:46 AM Report
Upvote0

Ha-Ha, nope!
I battled a nice big one to within 10 feet of the boat, and the hook pulled out.
It just happens that way sometimes.
Still, the rest of the tackle functioned perfectly on a bigger fish: Torque TRQ40NLD2 with 80-pound topshot over 80-pound braid; Carnage III CARWCII40100C78 rod [the Guadalupe Special].
The jig was a 280gr. Williamson Kensaki in pink/zebra glow, which has worked well for me this year.
Got bit "on the retrieve" at just about exactly the 400-foot mark on my line.
The jig is at the bottom of this pic.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/posts/comments/5932/vote?type=down

RESIZED Kensaki bluefin.JPG

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
A better view of a big one from the trip.

RESIZED Bluefin Carnage 1.JPG

Upvote 0