Quick questions...Wrapping OVER existing rod wrapping? & Re-attaching top guide?

The American Tackle Company

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
I have an off the rack AllStar graphite rod, 30-50# rating, the guides and wrapping are fine enough, but it is only single wrapped. I wanted to add another layer of wrapping to add strength (and a color change), as well as allow me to practice rod wrapping, I am a newbie, on an inexpensive rod that I do not mind messing up on during the learning process. My question is...

Can I wrap over the existing wrapping straight away, or must I prepare the "clear coat" in some way to allow the epoxy to set and adhere to the existing wrap properly?

2ND Question...

The epoxy on the top guide of one of my rods weakened and cracked, releasing its strength on the top guide and allowing it to move and wiggle. I can now easily pool the top guide off.

Should I use some epoxy to simply "glue" the top guide back on, or should I remove some of the cracked epoxy, prepare the top wrapping and re-seal the guide back on?

I am new to rod wrapping, so thank you for any help and input. -Scott

timmyd3853

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 27, 2011
Temecula, Ca.
Name
Tim
Boat
Excel, Polaris Supreme, Searcher, RRIII and YOURS!
you can just wrap over all your guides without prep and should be ok. without seeing the extent of the damaged finish on the top guide i couldnt answer if you could just wrap over and re-epoxy or if you need to take it off and start over on it. if you use and NCP (no color preserver ) thread you wont have to worry about using that prior to using you finish on the second wrap.

Good Wraps Bob

Balcombe Rods
Apr 13, 2008
Elma/WA/USA
Name
Bob Balcombe
Boat
NO BOAT
Question why do you believe the single wrap is not strong enough or do you just want a color change? they probable used a C thread on that heavy a rod. I have a 30 to 50 lb Lamie. I built for Big White Sturgeon 5 years ago I used A thread single wrap. I have hook lots of 8 footers a few 10's and one 13 footer On the Columbia River near the Dam. The wraps and guides are just like when I first built it. If you are intent on over wrapping In my opinion I would use single blade razor blade hold it at 90% to the wrap and lightly scrap off the finish just a little (Do not slice into the finish.)just remove a little. buy doing this it well keep the bulk look down and allow the new finish to adhere to the old finish. It is the same reason auto painters sand the old paint on cars. Then I would wrap with A thread and use a light finish coat. By doing this you well not effect the strength of the wrap and it well look more uniform when finished.

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
As Bob said a single layer of thread is all that's needed, but your plan is a good way to advance your skills. You should do some preparation to insure a good bond with you new finish coat, but that's not too big a deal. If the wrappings are in fairly good shape all you need to do is make sure they're clean. Clean them with DNA, which will scuff the finish enough to insure the next coat will stick. If there are some high spots in the finish you can slice them off with a blade as Bob suggested. A smooth base will make your wrapping easier as well.

I'm not sure I understand your second question, but if you are talking about the tip of the rod, all you need to do is pull it off, clean up the glue left on the blank's tip and re-glue with 5 minute epoxy. If you can move a tied on guide, then you need to remove it completely and re-wrap.

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
Thanks for the input. You guys answered all my questions.

Mainly adding the second wrap layer for rod wrapping practice, then the color change; added strength of an additional wrap is just a bonus.

Thanks again!