Quick Lupe report

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
Just got back yesterday AM from Lupe fishing on the Vagabond on a 6 day Penn sponsored trip. It gets said a lot but I'll say it again. Great boat, captain, and crew. Mike Lackey was driving this trip again( done it last 8 ish years ). Good weather at the island but rougher going to and going home from the trip - windy and swell both working in us.

Fishing was very good but also tough as Lupe can be. It took me till 6 pm the first day to get a YFT bit. Had some straightened hooks, chewed thorough, busted lines( even leader on kite rig), and connection casualties along with regular pulled hooks. All of us got fish, some more than others. Most all got sharked except for a few. It was the typical get hooked up and then see if someone else was hooked up at the same time so you thought you have a chance to get your fish on the boat.

YFT were from mostly 70 to 100 pounds but a few smaller models and also a good number of larger models to 150 ish. Jackpot was 159 lb. For picture people, go to BD "World of Penn" and Steve Carson has longer report with pictures for you. Standard most of the trip was 80 spectra / 80 mono with no floro and a size 2/0 owner or 3/0 Mustad. Fish ate the sardine well but we also made macs which they bit. YFT bit both the green backs and also the spanish macks. Number of fish also caught if you slowly would your bait back to the boat after a long soak( nose or neck hooked). Do think we hooked a one if not 2 fish on the chunk.

First day or so some were fishing 40 to 60 lb test w/ floro as they grade of fish were smaller. When the tax man showed along with the better grade of fish, we went up to 80. Tax man made a good showing with up to 4 around the boat at once. They got me three times but others got it more. We also did one night of YT dropper looping where the whole boat was fishing - got nice quality but just a few for all. But first day's AM bite, the smaller YT ate the sardine and I got 4 of them that took the sting off the no YFT bites till 6 pm.

All and all another fantastic trip and glad to be back there after the COVID closure. Hope to be back there on my October 8 day.

Extra cost for 3 days of fishing was $ 475. $250 is the basic fee and then the new wristband is $75 for each day. Note; a day is the 24 hour period that starts at midnight and ends the following midnite. Unfortunately you can not define a day as arrive late afternoon and fish then plus the next morning and fish. That requires 2 days of wristbands. That is what I learned on my trip. Also there is a new temperature check by the authorities in Ensenada on the way down. On the way back we were asleep so did not do anything/see anything.

Got to get back to ceviche and poke and gear cleaning. Hiuge thankyou to Mike & the Vagabond crew and Steve Carson with Penn

0-1.jpg

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
Sounds like the sharks are setting back in after the early trips reported relatively unencumbered fishing. You still seemed to fare pretty well - congrats. And thanks for the lucid summary of new logistics - there’s been some inconsistencies in what some have reported earlier…

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report. Damn taxman goes with the game there. Glad
    you all got some nice grade Yellowfin. Thanks for posting!

Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    Great report with useful information! Can't wait as it looks like we are going there on RR 5 day in a few weeks!

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    John Gleaves
    Boat
    Never been to the Lupe. What's the reasoning for not tying a short flouro leader to the mono top shot?
    Not using floro was for 80 lb test mono and higher. Tying on the floro creates one more knot in your whole set up and this creates one more place for a possible failure to occur. That is the reasoning behind it.

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    John Gleaves
    Boat
    Did boat fish the Bluefin on the way home?
    I was hoping we could get a shot at the BF and brought my heavy BF gear.

Many reasons caused us to not fish for BF
    Time - 6 day trip total & rules say drive to Ensenada & check in w/ their customs & more. Then go to Island. Then return to Ensenada to check in before going back to states. Plus we have to go through US customs since we tied up to the dock @ Ensenada. 3 days fishing Lupe left less than a day to fish on the return.
    WEATHER - fishing in lee of Lupe was great. Going to and returnoing from it was rough, especially coming home and we had to travel slower & this chewed up our fishing time. We did fish a few paddies on the way back to Ensenada but had to throw in the towel due to weather & to breakdown gear for boat cleaning. Into Ensenada @ 10 pm, back to SD Bay/customs @ 5 am.

BF have moved up to just south of Catalina area, @ least the big concentration.

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    John Gleaves
    Boat
    Sounds like the sharks are setting back in after the early trips reported relatively unencumbered fishing. You still seemed to fare pretty well - congrats. And thanks for the lucid summary of new logistics - there’s been some inconsistencies in what some have reported earlier…
    Sharks are there from around mid ish July to the end of October. They just up and leave fast so my trips in Nov are shark free. October trips we still feed them. This is their natural cycle for Lupe.
    Forgot to mention the wristbands & forgert to take my bands home for a souvenir. There are actual wristbands now for each trip one is on.

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    John Gleaves
    Boat
    Great report with useful information! Can't wait as it looks like we are going there on RR 5 day in a few weeks!
    RR was there with us and I think they did well also. They came up the line just a few hours behind us. I too can not wait to get back there

Reactions: ChicoBob
    Upvote 0