Quick Kona Sashimi report

Mingo

Jan 8, 2008
Seattle ("PC central")
Name
Mingo
Boat
in the future

My latest trip to Kona was a meat-fest with some great action on tuna, marlin and various reef species. I don’t have time to do a big-azz report so I’ll just let the photos tell the story. Our good buddies Scott and Doug joined us for a day with our friend and awesome Kona guide Russ Nitta on his Lepika. We’ve had some great trips with Russ over the years and this was no exception. I fought and released a blue marlin that hit only 20 minutes into the day, which is not unusual in Kona if you hit it right. After that we settled in for some action on good-sized yellowfin feeding with pods of porpoise…….here we go...

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: #002060; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I had several days hunting my usual mix of reef creatures. I&#8217;ve worked out some techniques that have paid off with uhu on the fly, which is funny and pretty wacky considering they are not "supposed" to hit flies and will &#8220;only&#8221; eat coral polyps. Sometimes it helps to ignore their &#8220;usual&#8221; behavior and treat them like any other fish. They put up an incredible fight for their size and have their own interesting beauty. Can't wait to tangle with a giant green male....

BG11

Feb 1, 2012
KAILUA-KONA
Name
BG
Boat
SMALL KINE BOAT
You were lucky to go holoholo with Russ, he's a good guy and a great fisherman. Nice pananu on the fly..that's my favorite uhu to eat. Awesome!

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Mingo, "The Wife", Scott and Doug,

Looks like you had another very successful Kona visit, great pics again. Capt Russ is a master w/ the stick, hopefully you guys were lookin' when the ahi grabbed the squid. That is an amazing bite to see. Did you get both ahis on the stick, just curious? Nice Au also...

Cheers
Pat

Kauaihunter

Jan 30, 2011
Lihue
Name
Jay
Boat
Moana Kai 15' Whaler
Nice ahi!

Uhu eat limu kala too, people flip sometimes when they see us bring one in, everybody assume that they only eat coral.

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
Very nice! Congrats

MikeO

Sitting at A-Bay
Feb 24, 2005
Waikoloa, HI
Name
MikeO
Boat
27 World Cat, True Lies
Great trip and pictures. Thanks for posting.

Latest posts