Quick change mono topshot question

Discussion in 'Fishing Tips' started by Tromak, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Tromak

Tromak Newbie

Name:
    Tyler
    Boat:
    Charter
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone has a system for changing their mono topshots regularly? I am trying to reduce the number of rods on my boat. I want to use my salmon trolling rods to fish for rockfish. My plan is to have a 20 to 30 foot Topshot of mono while trolling with the downriggers, and then remove the topshot and run a double shrimp fly rig for the rockfish. I want to have the mono for shock absorbing purposes while I'm salmon fishing and straight braid to reduce the amount of flagging i get when dropping down for rockfish. I want low waste on the mono and low profile all around so nothing is catching anywhere. Any ideas? I'm thinking FG is the best option, but I feel like I'm missing something since i am new to topshot game.

2. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    Look at loop to loop connections. Wind on leaders and what not

3. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Rockfish with the 20-30' of mono. It's not that much. Still less stretch then 2-300' all mono.

QueenAnnesRevenge likes this.
  4. Tromak

Tromak Newbie

Name:
    Tyler
    Boat:
    Charter
    I have considered the loop to loop connection. My concern is that the low diameter braid connecting to the mono isnt going to be strong enough. I know the loop to loop typically is as strong as you can get but I see a weakness for connecting mono to braid. I will probaly tie some up and test this connection with a scale and see what the percentage is for various different types of loading. (Slow load, quick snap etc) I will go loop to loop if its above 90 percent. As for just leaving it on, I may do that on low current days, but I really dont like how much sensitivity you lose when fishing anything but a mono tippet on a shrimp fly rig. I fish a double dropper loop with the weight on the bottom. The jury is still out, maybe I'll run a slower action rod and a pro style release with straight braid up to the flasher when trolling. I've had success cutting off an Albright and leaving the bimini intact but that's a real pain. Any other ideas or knot combinations would be appreciated.

5. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    You make more rods seem like it’s a bad thing?!?!
    Haha

6. Tromak

Tromak Newbie

Name:
    Tyler
    Boat:
    Charter
    Lol, it isnt really, I used to have 24 rods on the boat for a 6 pack. (Plus spares) That's just to many, but it is nice to have the perfect rod available for whatever your doing. I hardly ever run bait anymore for halibut, (lots of jigging) and when I do, I can just do it on the jigging rods. I thought it would be nice to combo up the salmon and rockfish rods and cut the clutter by half. I found a good rod, now I just need the system.

7. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    I’m still looking for any reason to buy and bring more rods. Don’t pay any attention to me.

8. TanstaaflSD

TanstaaflSD Member

Name:
    Tanstaafl
    Boat:
    n/a
    Please consider this. The loop to loop is really strong, but you should go thru the loops 3 or 4 times to form what is called a "cats paw" at the loops.
    Also, It is not as neat as the needle-made loops but a 6-turn surgeons loop into a catspaw connection is very strong and can be done quickly on the boat.
    Suggestion......fish you longer leader from a loop to loop, then CUT the braid up-line, near the first catspaw (roll and save your leader to de-knot later), quick tie a 6-turn surgeons, then add the short bottom leader....could even be braid loop to a swivel if a really short bottom rig.
    Tight lines!

9. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    Hollow core loop if you're that concerned about a tied braid loop...