Well-Known "Member"
Jul 2, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Freddy
Boat
Boston whaler Outrage 17,Maycraft 1900
hello
I have a 2011 Yamaha 115 four stroke with 164 hours on it. This is my first four stroke so I don't know much about it. I bought the boat from my brother and he put about 20 hours on it. I want to get it serviced but was wondering what the service consisted of and if it's somthing I can do my self? Any info is greatly appreciated!!
Also my brother didint service it when he had it. No issues with it seems to run fine

BiggestT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
At this point you just need to change the oil and filter. Pretty simple to do. At 400 hours you need to adjust or replace timing belt.

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
new spark plugs, new fuel filter, change crankcase oil and filter, change lower unit gear oil and plug gaskets and done. Easy. Every other year change impeller.

zd583

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 2, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Freddy
Boat
At this point you just need to change the oil and filter. Pretty simple to do. At 400 hours you need to adjust or replace timing belt.
new spark plugs, new fuel filter, change crankcase oil and filter, change lower unit gear oil and plug gaskets and done. Easy. Every other year change impeller.
dump the gear oil and replace it also. easy to do.
Thanks for that is it simple like a car or do you need any special tools for the old change? Same with the gear oil?

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Thanks for that is it simple like a car or do you need any special tools for the old change? Same with the gear oil?
Oil drain is on the back of the housing below the engine cover. Drain Bolt removes with a regular socket wrench. Oil filter is on the starboard side of the engine and you can probably spin it off by hand. Spark plugs are easy to remove. Fuel filter is at the

I'd find someplace online to order Yamaha filters cheaply.
No special tools. Oil drain bolt is on the back side of the upper shaft cowling, below the engine cowling. Socket and wrench to remove. Oil filter is on the starboard side of the engine and can probably be twisted off by hand. Fuel filter is at the rear port side of the engine and that comes apart by hand. I just drain it, never have replaced it. I have a water separating filter before the engine. Spark plugs are pretty straight forward. Gear case oil is drained my a lower screw. Fill that by squirting a quart bottle in lower screw and opening upper to vent and it will flow out of upper when full. A good wrench would have all this done in less than 1/2 hour. Find and order your oil filters on-line for the best prices. Good luck.

hardrider5

Master
Sep 4, 2003
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
Parker 2520
You should invest in a Service manual for the motor. It has all the info you need. Get the Yamaha book. Cheap investment.

zd583

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 2, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Freddy
Boat
Oil drain is on the back of the housing below the engine cover. Drain Bolt removes with a regular socket wrench. Oil filter is on the starboard side of the engine and you can probably spin it off by hand. Spark plugs are easy to remove. Fuel filter is at the

I'd find someplace online to order Yamaha filters cheaply.

No special tools. Oil drain bolt is on the back side of the upper shaft cowling, below the engine cowling. Socket and wrench to remove. Oil filter is on the starboard side of the engine and can probably be twisted off by hand. Fuel filter is at the rear port side of the engine and that comes apart by hand. I just drain it, never have replaced it. I have a water separating filter before the engine. Spark plugs are pretty straight forward. Gear case oil is drained my a lower screw. Fill that by squirting a quart bottle in lower screw and opening upper to vent and it will flow out of upper when full. A good wrench would have all this done in less than 1/2 hour. Find and order your oil filters on-line for the best prices. Good luck.
Lots of info thanks for that gives me a nice starting point. Trying to avoid the mechanic I know they can get expensive. Yea Ina look into a owners manual for the engine.

hardrider5

Master
Sep 4, 2003
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
Parker 2520
Lots of info thanks for that gives me a nice starting point. Trying to avoid the mechanic I know they can get expensive. Yea Ina look into a owners manual for the engine.
The owners manual and service manual are 2 different books. If you are doing you own service then you need both. My service manual for our F150 engine has nine chapters and is an inch and 1/2 thick.

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Definitely get a service manual. But there are also lots of you tube vids that will walk you through all these procedures. If you have half a mechanical mind and aren't too drunk, you can do it all before you finish a few beers.

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
When you drain the lower unit make sure you have new seals that go around the screws. Much cheaper to buy them online.

zd583

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 2, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Freddy
Boat
The owners manual and service manual are 2 different books. If you are doing you own service then you need both. My service manual for our F150 engine has nine chapters and is an inch and 1/2 thick.
Definitely get a service manual. But there are also lots of you tube vids that will walk you through all these procedures. If you have half a mechanical mind and aren't too drunk, you can do it all before you finish a few beers.
When you drain the lower unit make sure you have new seals that go around the screws. Much cheaper to buy them online.
Hhahah yea Im pretty good with my hands. I would do all the service on my two Yamaha 115 to stroke. Definitely a challenge it was hard to find manuals. This engine seems like it's definitly a lot Easyer to service. Thanks for the info everyone. Hopefully I can do it this weekend will keep you guys updated

zd583

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 2, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Freddy
Boat
One last question anyone have suggestions on how I can get a cable housing for my outboard cables I don't like them just being bare. my engine is all ready rigged. looking for something like the picture or similar.

IMG_1246.JPG

scwafish

Obsessed with fish
Jun 19, 2009
Nor Cal
www.gwkc.com
Name
Sean
Boat
Radoncraft 18
Yamaha sells that part. Its called a rigging tube. You will also need to buy a plastic fitting for for the motor end that replaces the rubber grommet.

I got all of my stuff online from SIM Yamaha and they never failed me...they know their shit.