Questions for those who have a 7mm Rem Mag

Discussion in 'Gun Talk' started by BadKarma, Sep 16, 2015.

1. BadKarma

BadKarma Newbie

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    It's big, red, and lots of lights
    So I'm thinking of purchasing a 7mm as my go to because I hear it'll take down most game in North America.
    I have also been a fan of the .30-06 but after putting some range time with my buddies 7mm, i started to let the wheels turn a bit. So before i go off the deep end buy a rifle i may or may not need i have a few quick questions for you.

How do you like the caliber/rifle compared to others?

How is the price and availability of ammo in comparison? Specifically .308 and .30-06

And lastly, is this rifle the one go to rifle?

I understand that a lot of these and gonna be very opinionated and circumstantial. But Im looking for feed back more than advice. Thanks, BK

2. furniture 4 me

furniture 4 me Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    17 crusader
    i am also a fan of the 270 and 30 06, however the 7mm is a bad ass. it is on my list of rifles. if you are looking for another one to add to the collection yes go for it.

3. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    If you anticipate a lot of LONG RANGE shooting then get it. I have a .25-06, .270, 30-06 and the 7mm. My favorite is the .25-06 and then the .30-06 (Which is the best overall caliber out there IMHO for the sheer multitude of game it can handle). Only time I really use the 7mm is if I am say Elk hunting where the shot will be on the longer side and I need the down range energy for a clean kill. Otherwise I will use my .30-06.

The 7mm kicks more and is more expensive to shoot (I even reload my own stuff) so those can be factors as well. If you do not like recoil that is another factor to consider. If you shoot the .30-06 really well there really isn't a reason to get another unless you just really want one. And nobody can blame you for that. If people tell you that you do not need more hunting or fishing stuff unfriend them immediately as you do not need that kind of negativity in your life!!! :-)

My all around go to gun is the .30-06. My grandfather told me many years ago before he passed on that a man only NEEDS one gun, a .30-06. And he harvested more animals than any other human being I know.

My humble opinion...

bocker, greenfrenzy and One_Leg like this.
  4. Jim n cali

Jim n cali Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    None
    Compromise and get a 280 Ackley improved.

Wild Bill likes this.
  5. riverplayer

riverplayer Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Osprey 30' Long Cabin "Into The Mystic"
    I own 700 and love it. Some good glass and your set for just about anything north of 300yds. My gun likes the lighter loads 140-165 grain boat tails and still kicks like a mule. If this is your first rifle, consider a .308 instead. Not as fussy with its loads and cheaper to a shoot.

6. icscommand

icscommand Chief

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    20' Fish-rite CC
    I have a .308 Sako and 7RemMag Browning. Killed Elk and Deer with both. I put a scope with BDC from Nikon and use the web site to predict shot placement on the Mag and 2 by 7 on .308. I believe the 7mm is a more versatile round. 140gr for local stuff and 160-170gr for Rocky Mountain and Alaska. Just pay close attention tot he scope relief. LOL

7. BadKarma

BadKarma Newbie

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    It's big, red, and lots of lights
    I do not mind recoil that much. My sxp has more recoil than my 870 and i still prefer sxp because I'm quicker with it. Probably feel it when I'm older but then again I'm always trying to get a new bow with more draw weight too.... Ammo prices is what really concerns me, especially living in California. And to specify, be planning on taking game from coyotes all the way to Elk or maybe a black bear with it when not using my bow.

I follow Steven Rinella and i know he champions the 7mm. A lot of what he talks about makes sense to me.

8. *****

***** Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Blake
    Boat:
    25' Skipjack FB
    All of the calibers op mentioned are capable of taking any big game in North America and are commonly avalailable. And many others as well. For me, it comes down to comparing the ballistics curves.

9. changboy

changboy Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    "PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
    If you look at the ballistics of a 130gr bullet coming out of the 30-06 the difference is small, the cost of ammunition is double. if you want to shoot a heaver bullet the 7mm has limited choices and not every shop carries 7mm ammo.

mikelravy likes this.
  10. sydleier

sydleier ...

Name:
    Sydney Leier
    Boat:
    23' cc Mary Esther
    At the end of the day it really comes down to your specific goals of what you want to do with this rifle. How far do you want to shoot? What are you looking for accuracy wise? and what is your shooting style/skill level? The 7mm Rem mag is a big step above the .308 and .30-06 ballistically especially when you shoot the bigger bullets IE 180 grainers. If ammo prices are a concern and your planning on shooting alot learning to reload is a great way to go if you have the time. If your planning on elk hunting the 300 win mag is also a great all around stick. You can hunt elk with a .270, .308 or .30-06, but in my opinion your a bit under-gunned with those calibers...

11. mikelravy

mikelravy Member

Name:
    Mike McElravy
    Boat:
    Jim Dandy
    Hardly any different than a 30-06 on game and the ammo is more expensive. Only on the internet is a 270 or 30-06 too small for elk.

12. sydleier

sydleier ...

Name:
    Sydney Leier
    Boat:
    23' cc Mary Esther
    The 270 & .30-06 are both great guns for whitetails, but if your planning on taking shots over 300 yards in a real life elk hunting situation they are both a little on the small side IMHO.

13. Fjold

Fjold Traveling Hitman

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    SSBN645, SSBN620, SSN686
    I have a 7mm Mag and it's really neither fish nor fowl. The only reason that I take it hunting is if it's going to be wet and rainy because it's stainless with a laminated stock.

Under 300 yards, there are a ton of cartridges that will do the job with less recoil. Most of my medium game hunting is done with 6.5mm, 270, 243, etc. If I need magnum power it's because I want a heavy bullet that will penetrate and there are much better cartridges that will do the job than the high speed, light bullet, 7 mm Mag.

Under 300 yards and probably out to 400 yards the 30.06 class of cartridges will do anything to medium game that the 7 Mag will and if you want more power, start at the 300 magnums and heavier bullets or step up to the bigger calibers.

14. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    This sums it up beautifully!

MJB and mikelravy like this.
  15. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Magnumitis at work. Just curious, do you drive a lifted truck?

A 30-06 will kill elk at any range one should be shooting, and it you can't get close enough to feel comfortable, you have no business shooting. Rare are the circumstances when you can't get within 300 yards quite easily on an elk. Besides, who wants to shoot much farther than that? Where's the sport? Plink targets if long range shooting gets you off. Animals deserve more. JMHO.

mikelravy likes this.
  16. sulla

sulla Torrance Ca

Name:
    Sulla
    Boat:
    Party Boat Near You
    I sold my 7 mm magnum last year . I started developing a flinch from the recoil and not to mention the ammo is expensive and not easy to find. I'm not sure if it really has that much more stopping power than some of the other rounds discussed here. I'm now shooting 308 and am extremely pleased with it . The round is much more affordable and it's a pleasure to shoot . Just my two cents, I know a lot of people love the 7 mm I'm just not one of them.

17. sydleier

sydleier ...

Name:
    Sydney Leier
    Boat:
    23' cc Mary Esther
    Thanks for setting me straight Nate. You must be a much sneakier fellow than me...

18. "HI PENDECOS"

"HI PENDECOS" "CHOICE"

Name:
    Abel
    Boat:
    EL TAMBO!
    Just get it! Guns are fun to shoot! Make sure you get a rifle with the claw extractor.
    Be safe!

19. Fjold

Fjold Traveling Hitman

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    SSBN645, SSBN620, SSN686
    Magnums don't necessarily mean long distance, some of us just like big heavy bullets that don't stop inside an animal. Probably 2/3rds of the medium/big game animals that I've taken in the last ten years have been shot with my 375 H&H magnum using 300 grain bullets. The furthest shots were a zebra at 300 yards and a impala at 200 yards with the rest of the animals taken at less than 150 yards and the closest was a 75 Lbs. bushbuck taken at about 50 yards.

20. MJB

MJB I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    This reminds me of that guy that was shooting his buddies 270 with no problem and then went and bought a 300 winmag.........

I have shot my 30-06 at elk for over 30 years never ever had one run off even on marginal shots 180gr bullet that stays in the animal is a killer all visual downed elk not one needed a follow up.....it's more about the bullet in my book and shot placement of course....I love elk hunting you shoot see the elk take it then they stumble and fall into a nasty ravine full of dead fall on a steep 45 degree angle 2 miles from the truck.......next year:)

When you shoot an elephant gun you want a hard bullet that passes thru so you have more meat you can eat.......I have a guy that's using the 416 for D16 told him to get some copper so you'll have some deer to take home. ONLY TIME I'D RECOMMEND COPPER for local game animals

mikelravy likes this.