Questions about the American Angler

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by captain94704, Oct 25, 2018.

1. captain94704

captain94704 Member

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    none
    Hi Everyone

I am thinking about booking a trip on the AA for next summer but I had a few questions.

Do they still board based on the order your line up?

Is the boarding order primarily for tackle storage or does it also affect which staterooms you get?

Any other advice you can offer.

Thanks,
    Jack

2. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Yes and no. Jack, send me a PM, give you my phone number, we can text/talk.

More in the morning, past my bedtime. :)

3. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Yes. Sometimes the Charter Master will come late and mussel his way to the front of the line....He excuse is that he has to load all the "give aways". A couple of his friends are also in his cart. And, of course, they take the prime tackle box spots.

Tackle storage only. Staterooms and rod rack numbers are preassigned. Jackpot money will be taken by Lori if you want to enter. Coffee is free, cups are $1.00 each.............just kidding.

rodblder and dh515 like this.
  4. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Don't let that deter you from riding this great boat..!!! My 1st and only choice.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  5. nednash

nednash Newbie

Name:
    Ned
    Boat:
    none
    Best boat, best people, best overall experience in my experience.

Mike Barrera and Baller like this.
  6. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    I can tell you from personal experience that anglers are in line early the day before they leave. They book 1 room at the Vag, and they take turns during the night to watch all their loaded gear on the loading ramp. So don't expect a good spot for your tackle box.

7. tunacraze

tunacraze Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Steve Brunton
    Boat:
    The Big Ones
    Yep! Get there early though because some of these guys get a room at the Vagabond and take shifts all night for the best spot in line. That being said, I have never not been able to put my box in a convenient location. The crew will figure it out and make room for you. Book it! You won't be sorry.

FishRock likes this.
  8. tunacraze

tunacraze Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Steve Brunton
    Boat:
    The Big Ones
    You beat me to it Donna!

9. Kevin Helfend

Kevin Helfend Member

Name:
    Kevin Helfend
    Boat:
    none
    I never get why people get all worked up about who gets to load first. Where your tackle box is etc....

You are on vacation. Enjoy your time. Enjoy the sights.

10. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Well, now, there’s a common sense approach. Joe and I drove down to get in line at around 4:00 A.M. for our 14 day in January. Hate to disappoint you guys, but there were only two guys in line, Tom and Darryl, and they first welcomed us, great to see you, and then cheerfully helped us move our gear from the truck to the concrete, awaiting boarding time.

I’ve only seen one guy in line from the night before, and that was 14 years ago. I do know one of the long trips now boards by number. Captain arrived around 5:30-6:00 A.M. and saw most of the guys standing in the rain and announced that in the future this trip would board by number.

Yes, it’s nice to have “your favorite spot” for your tackle box/bag, especially if it’s an SKB box, as they don’t work well on the shelves up against the house and if you plan on using your rocket launchers. My modest bag with two trays works well on the shelves and I usually get my spot. If there is a problem, like boxes on the deck and Reel bags on the tackle area, the crew will step in and fix it.

I’ve never witnessed the get a room and tag team the spot, but I guess it happens.

11. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Oh, and working with Lori, on the phone or via email is a breeze. She takes very good care of us when it comes to staterooms, accomodating you whenever possible. She knows what my preferences are so these days I just show up, knowing I’ve been taken care of.

tunacraze likes this.
  12. BarryG

BarryG Newbie

Name:
    Barry Gambarana
    Boat:
    17' Boston Whaler
    I personally have never seen this happen, or seen the charter master show up late and go to the front of the line. I get up every day around 4:30 or 5 am anyway, I usually show up around 4 am just like Steve K to get in line; no big deal if there are a few people all ready in line.

I have been one of their charter masters since they owned the Pacific Queen. I get in line just like everyone else and wait my turn. I do not ask or do anything that the other passengers can't do. The only thing I do when everyone is loaded on the boat is to help the crew make sure everyone has a spot for one tackle box on the engine hatch's. It's really not a big issue; just work togeather, go fishing, and have fun!

Get Some!
    Tight Lines
    BG

13. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    I do see our chartermaster with piles of giveaways, and his stuff goes into a cart and gets pushed down first. Crew like it that way so they can help carry it into the salon and get it off the deck to make room for what's next. I never, however, have seen him show any favoritism to any of the anglers allowing them to put a tackle box in the cart so they can poach a spot.

14. captain94704

captain94704 Member

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks everyone for the responses, I am not super worried about being among the first ten guys on the boat. The other question i have is my trip is scheduled to have 23 anglers on it and there are 12 staterooms. I know some of the staterooms have three bunks, but do they ever put three people in a room when there are 23 on a boat?

Jack

15. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
  16. fshholc

fshholc Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    sold
    On occasion when there's a single girl, a medical issue or 3 good friends that want to be together but rarely. And remember they reserve the right to overbook by one.

17. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Depending on a point of view. No primo space for me. Stoked I'm rigging with plenty of elbow room. They can have cramped rigging space. There are much better locations to rig while getting a birds eye view and genuine advice. Then in back of the galley which is one of the last places I want to rig.

18. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I’ve fished the AA for a long time...I wish they’d change and do boarding order by reservation date like other boats. I fished the first 8 day this year as I’ve done 3 or 4 times in the past. Left the Bay Area in the evening....drove all night....got in line at about 3am.....I was about 10th in line for boarding order.....I was retarded by the time the boat left about 9am having been up for like 27 hours. Freaking great boat, great crew, and great charter...just needed a day of recovery from my all night adventure ....tackle spot was good....caught up with all my new friends on the second day....

I love going a day early and getting a hotel room across the street....easing into the vacation...getting a good sleep and then mosing over about 2 or 3 hours before the boat leaves to pay for jackpot and have the redshirts load up my gear.

For the first come first serve boats I just drive down the night prior to departure....not worth it to get a hotel room if I’m lining up at 3am.

Bill W, Workplacesafety and Steve K like this.
  19. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    I love the AA. That said I'm not lining up at 3am to fish on any boat.

20. Yellowtail Dan

Yellowtail Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Excel, American Angler
    I'll drive down the day after Thanksgiving at 3am to get through the LA mess and hit Kens up for my reels anD last minute stuff then head to my buddies for a day of bullshitting and a few beers with food.

Be at the landing at 5am Saturday paid up and ready to go with a good nights sleep. That over night and getting there at 2am stuff is just plain craziness