Questions about future trip to Guadalupe Island

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by captain94704, Aug 8, 2019.

1. captain94704

captain94704 Member

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    none
    I may be heading to Guadalupe Island in September on a 7 day trip on the American Angler because it seems like they are there now (or just left) and it seems like the fishing is pretty good. I feel like I am appropriately supplied for a trip to the ridge but I am not sure about going to Guadalupe Island.

My main question is what is the most common pound flouro that people are fishing currently. This will hopefully help me (and others) figure out if we have the appropriate reels for the trip. I have the following reels (all are two speed) for Guadalupe Island with the appropriate rods and I want to see what people think.

Fathom 25 - 500 yards 50# braid - 40# flouro
    Fathom 30 - 500 yards 65# braid - 40-50# flouro
    Fathom 40 - 500 yards 80# braid - 50-60# flour

I feel confident that the fathom 40 is an excellent 50# reel but I am wondering how it does for a 60# reel. I assume that lately your have been needing anything heavier than 60# for the YFT. I was planning to borrow a heavy rod from the boat for dropper loop YT.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  2. bbuck

bbuck Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Buck
    Boat:
    sunk
    Royal Star is recommending 50# to 60# fluorocarbon for the Lupe. Usually seven day trips don’t go to Guadalupe. Check with the AA office to see if they have pulled permits.

3. SlideRight

SlideRight Just Fishin'

Name:
    Lew
    Boat:
    ss minnow
    Sounds like you're there....below from the RP's 8-6 rpt. & Searcher echos, except f/ the chunk item.....good luck!

"The key to getting bite was 50 and 60 pound test fluorocarbon, so if your coming on a upcoming trip, make sure you get some. We caught fish on the chunk again today, with 25% of the fish coming on the chunk. We made one complete kite rotation (26 anglers) with only using one kite. The rest of the fish were caught on fly line sardine. "

Mike Nall likes this.
  4. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16
    Fathom 40N 2-speed is an excellent 60-pound reel, and will also handle 80 if need be.

5. captain94704

captain94704 Member

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    none
    I have never done chunking before, what do I need for it? Will the boat have everything needed for chunking or is it better to bring it ahead of time? Thanks everyone for the help.

6. bbuck

bbuck Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Buck
    Boat:
    sunk
    For the lupe, I would use 60# fluoro. and a 5/0 or larger circle hook. You are using large chunks of tuna so you can use a larger hook than you would use for fly lining. The crew will show you the technique.

7. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    You're pretty set tackle wise. That Fathom 40N 2 speed is a very popular reel for the island, and people commonly fish 60(or even 80) with it. I'd keep it to 60 or 50. There have been times that we've fished 80 there, and apparently some guys recently have gone to 40 to get bites and feed the sharks. For fluoro you should carry 40, 50, 60, and 80. I've usually used 3/0 or 4/0 circle hooks - either super mutus or Trokars- but recent reports have guys doing better with 1/0 or 2/0 hooks. Don't go cheap on hooks. You see plenty of bent and broken hooks there. Do be afraid to use the chunk. You can use heavier line and larger hooks. Last year a guy got 4 on the chunk on my trip and the boat only caught 70 something tuna for 30 guys. I only caught some nice calicos on the chunk. It can be a frustrating place, but very rewarding. Put your time in at the rail. Don't be afraid to ask for help or suggestions. Watch what the successful guys are doing. Ask a crewmember to bait up and cast for you occasionally. Pull hard. If you can get your fish coming in on the surface you have a better chance of getting it in whole.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Abusaade, kbray001, dh515 and 5 others like this.
  8. Tom Honaker

Tom Honaker Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom Honaker
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    Bring some pink yo-zuri floro too, during bright sunny conditions it gets bit well at Guadalupe in that super clear water. I've also had excellent success there with sunline floracarbon, it has a slightly thinner diameter and is super clear, gets bit well, and tests out similar to blue label seagar. Don't catch em all, I will be there the first week in November! Good luck!

dh515 and Bill W like this.
  9. T.O.T.W.

T.O.T.W. Time On The Water

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    In the last four years I've used anything from 100-lb down to 40-lb leaders. It just depends, so it's not a bad idea to cover those bases. Don't bother with anything less than 40 unless you just like to get bites and not land fish! I don't even like to use 40 down there--last year guys were getting bite after bite on 40, but were on each fish for at least an hour each. I was doing well enough with 50 and 60, so I didn't drop down--I like to pull!
    Chunking is catching on nicely down there. I use 100-lb leader and a big hook. Last year I think it was a 9/0 Mustad circle. Not positive on the size, but it's not typically finesse fishing. Use a big hook and heavy line and adjust down if you need to. I like to start chunking when there is not a lot of current, nobody else is doing it, and a lot of junk (tuna blood, guts, smashed sardines) has been washed over the side for a while.

10. bkaz

bkaz Pharmfisher

Name:
    BKAZ
    Boat:
    None
    Been on 5 day trips on the Shogun and an AA 7 day trip before. They definitely will do 7 day trips to the Lupe

Olddog8 likes this.
  11. ChooChoo54

ChooChoo54 "Life Is A One Lap Race"

Name:
    Bob Bower
    Boat:
    Scupper Pro
    Just returned last week of July from Guadalupe aboard Searcher on the Izorline/Turners 6 day. The tuna catching just did not play out the way we wished. There were boils but few biters. Art tried and tried, but it was not gonna happen. It was a great trip with a boatload of the kind of fellow anglers you hope for.
    ‘At Guadalupe most of the tuna time is at anchor. When there is breeze a balloon attached to your line can help get your bait out there with less fatigue. Easy deal really. Inflate the balloon, tie it off, wrap a rubber band to attach it to your line. The breeze is your friend.

Tackleho619 likes this.
  12. captain94704

captain94704 Member

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks everyone for the help.

13. bluefinkiller25

bluefinkiller25 Newbie

Name:
    Zach
    Boat:
    Flash/Flash II
    I like fishing the chunk. My first experience chunking was on the Shogun down at Alijos on an 8 day. Tommy (now on the RP) cut up a shark bit tuna and got the chunk line going. Nothing like watching 50 pound tuna eat your chunk 20 feet below the stern.

14. Roadrunner

Roadrunner Member

Name:
    John Gleaves
    Boat:
    20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
    Bring your own knife as crew may not want you borrowing their knife for safety/insurance. Unfortunately there will be plenty of partial tunas to cut chunk from due to the taxman( great white). Cut some extra smaller pieces to keep tossing out in front of and behind your larger chunk. Try the bow to drop your line in- out of the way of live bait in stern. Chunk will drift back & down below all the chum tossed out.

Nice thing too is I was using 80 lb outfit while live bait was 50 lb. This allowed pulling harder which meant less time in the water for the sharks to eat your fish. use large 7/0 circle hook for chunk. Through the corner of the chunk and make sure it goes thru the skin and hook is not hidden in the meat.

Just got back from a 6 day Lupe trip this week. P.S. good fishing 60 to 100+ pounds YFT. 40 got bit but sharks got most - use 50 lb

terryc. and Cubeye like this.
  15. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Depending on the size of the YFT you might be pushing it using the Fathom 40NLD-2 with 80lb (JMO). The optimum reel for 80lb and 150lb+ strong and super healthy YFT at the Lupe would be a Penn 16VISX. I have 4 Torque 40NLD-2's (which are a bit stronger than the Fathom) that I have fished 80lb on but the tall spool and a bit higher low gear ratio makes it tougher (but certainly not impossible) to power crank using max drag with 80lb (I have a Tiburon power T-bar handle on my Torque 40NLD-2 for 80lb use). The other factor here IMO is a true 60lb bait rod has a different action than a true 80lb bait rod so its a bit harder to fish 80lb on your 40NLD-2 reel if its mounted on a 60lb rated bait rod. The perfect 80lb combo for me (fishing the Lupe) is a Penn 16VISX on a Calstar 875XXH or a Calstar 780XH rail rod.

My 2 cents... your actual mileage may vary.

G

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Abusaade and larry dickson like this.
  16. ReelDealAngler-

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Last year in November we were fishing the Lupe YFT with a 4/0 circle hook on 50lb or 60lb fluoro with a small chunk (1.5 inch size) and getting bit on it... the fish were in the 60lb - 100lb size (so not the larger grade 125lb to 175lb size). It was also a more finicky "slow pick" type of bite.

G

T.O.T.W. and boston15 like this.
  17. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Fyi for those who like a skin patch.

Cutting a small slit in the skin allows the hook point to go through the skin and chunk effortlessly. While not squashing the chunking from trying to push the point of the hook through the skin. Especially yft skin as its thick and tougher then other chunk bait like greenback mackerel skin. Skin patch gives flash imo.

Just a tiny cut in the skin. Hook point goes right through. More easy, better hook penetration, chunk integrity kept, skin patch for flash.

Spied on big daddy from the upper deck for that one at Hurricane Bank. Thanks Don :D

18. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    So you picked this trick up "Peep Style" from the upper deck. Have to admit that I have spent some time up top just watching folks fish to see if there is something I have been missing. Great place to watch the action but not as good as being on the deck working a good fish.

ZZZZZ, ReelDealAngler- and terryc. like this.
  19. ReelDealAngler-

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Fished with "Big Daddy" Don Burnside on the Shogun two years ago and he gets his share! He knows how to fish the chunk for sure (lots of experience and experimenting). His son Dave was a deckhand on the Shogun for awhile.

G

ZZZZZ likes this.
  20. fyermn

fyermn Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    LONG RANGE fishing
    Thanks Steve. I have two of the Fathom 40nld2 reels and I am planning to use them the way you have suggested on my 10 day trip in Late Sept--thru Early Oct.