Questions about flat fall set up and sinker rig set up..

Irishman

Irishman
  • Jul 20, 2004
    La Mesa
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    n/a
    Getting ready for my weekend trip. Do you run a topshot of mono and then floro connection or just straight braid to floro?

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Getting ready for my weekend trip. Do you run a topshot of mono and then floro connection or just straight braid to floro?
    👍

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Braid to fluoro. Fluoro has some stretch, not as much as mono but enough to give you some leeway from violent headshakes at the end game. A bit more abrasion resistance, pound for pound, but less visibility to the fish so you can go up in line strength and still get bit. But go shorter than several yards at your peril. There is not enough stretch in a yard of fluoro, and I've lost several nice fish just outside of the gaff when a violent surge against my final-fight drag tore the hook out. Now I usually do a cast-length of fluoro.

Upvote 0
    May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    Mono on the flat falls, you can add a flouro crimp leader before it. Flat falls are reaction strikes, no need to get subtle on the line. Sinker and live bait 30 get of flouro or mono to flouro.

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    Certainly no expert but I do all right :D FF rigs are braid to a short fluoro leader 130/ 200/ 300 depending on jig size. Flyline/ sinker rigs are braid to 25-30 feet of fluorocarbon, wind on style. I use a short section of HC braid to attach the fluoro to the solid braid.

Reactions: FLLR1
    Upvote 0