Grant Kimball

Don’t read this.
Jun 9, 2019
Vista
Name
Grant
Boat
China Cat Sunflower
Hey guys, I am looking to venture into Mexican waters for the first time in my boat. I have heard spots like 302 and lower 9-mile bank are great alternatives when you can't make it out to the Coronado islands. However, I am unsure on what I need to fish the locations "NOT" within 10 miles of a Mexican landmass. So far I have, MXN fishing license, Annual biosphere conservation permit, my Vessel registrations was approved, just waiting on the sticker. To my knowledge you still need to pay the FMM regardless of where you fish. Is this true?

Nannook N

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 14, 2009
CULVER CITY ZIP 90230
Name
gary smith
Boat
80 FOOT NORTH COAST BARRACUDA
MEX TIP PERMIT YES FMM FOR SURE ALSO A GREAT IDEA JOIN BAHA MAR AND GET THE ABALGOTO PACAGE THIS IS A ATTORNEYS CARD IN ENSANADA CARD AS ONE OF HIS CLIENTS CHEEP IF EVER ANY ISSUES HE COVERS IT FOR ENTIRE YEAR BETTER TO BE SAFE AND SLEEP AT NIGHT SO WHEN THE GUN BOAT TIES UP TO YOUR BOAT ITS ALL GOOD WHEN THEY CHECK THEY HAVE A SATALITE PHONE TO ENSANADA GOOD TO GO ! MY 2 CENTS !!! SLEEP TIGHT !

Reactions: Dan3seals

_dayday

Mar 5, 2017
San Diego
Name
Dylan
Boat
17ft CC "Gringo Mandingo"
Inside of 12 miles from mexican coastline (This includes the islands) you'll need Mex license, FMM, TIP, Passport, and if you're fishing the islands you need the biosphere permit. Outside of that 12 miles all you need is a mexican license. the 302 is safe, you only need a mex license. There is also some grey area about traveling through that 12 miles without the stuff if you plan on fishing outside of the 12 miles. Some people say you need the permits, some don't, really only matters how the mexican navy feels that day but generally if you stay a good distance away from the islands they wont hassle you.

Grant Kimball

Don’t read this.
Jun 9, 2019
Vista
Name
Grant
Boat
China Cat Sunflower
Thanks :) I guess I'll just wait for the TIP sticker. Been getting skunked too much in Oceanside, need some tight lines already!

_dayday

Mar 5, 2017
San Diego
Name
Dylan
Boat
17ft CC "Gringo Mandingo"
Thanks :) I guess I'll just wait for the TIP sticker. Been getting skunked too much in Oceanside, need some tight lines already!
now im not positive on this but when I went in and talked with the Conspenca office in downtown the guy there told me technically you dont need the TIP sticker to fish in mex waters as long as you launch from the states. But he followed up with that the navy always doesn't fully know that so it is more playing the cards. Ive been fishing there for a couple years and haven't had an issue yet.

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
Jan 31, 2004
San Diego
Name
Dan
Boat
1997 Trophy 2352
MEX TIP PERMIT YES FMM FOR SURE ALSO A GREAT IDEA JOIN BAHA MAR AND GET THE ABALGOTO PACAGE THIS IS A ATTORNEYS CARD IN ENSANADA CARD AS ONE OF HIS CLIENTS CHEEP IF EVER ANY ISSUES HE COVERS IT FOR ENTIRE YEAR BETTER TO BE SAFE AND SLEEP AT NIGHT SO WHEN THE GUN BOAT TIES UP TO YOUR BOAT ITS ALL GOOD WHEN THEY CHECK THEY HAVE A SATALITE PHONE TO ENSANADA GOOD TO GO ! MY 2 CENTS !!! SLEEP TIGHT !

punctuation.jpg

Grant Kimball

Don’t read this.
Jun 9, 2019
Vista
Name
Grant
Boat
China Cat Sunflower
now im not positive on this but when I went in and talked with the Conspenca office in downtown the guy there told me technically you dont need the TIP sticker to fish in mex waters as long as you launch from the states. But he followed up with that the navy always doesn't fully know that so it is more playing the cards. Ive been fishing there for a couple years and haven't had an issue yet.
I think the 10 year TIP was like $40USD. My boat didn't have one previously, so I figured better safe than sorry.

Reactions: _dayday

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
All caps and no punctuation makes it sound like we're being yelled at, all in one breath.

Reactions: _dayday

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
It's a good thing you got the TIP, the Mexican navy makes the rules for on the water. At one time you only needed the TIP if you made land, went to a port, but along with the FMM the rules for the TIP changed to read entering Mexican waters.
There are a lot of businesses and persons posting the requirements by the Mexican navy, this and the fact that the navy treats the requirements like a top secret file it has created a lot of confusion... all they would have to do is post the requirements on their web site and problem solved. The only official statement that I knew came from the navy was back when this shit all started, since then they have only asked for a few things, just keep in mind that just because a law isn't enforced doesn't mean that it isn't the law and can be at any time.. In this country they never take laws off of the books, they write new ones and stop enforcing the old ones, but they still can when ever it suits their needs. I always looked at what put money in the Mexican's pocket as the ones they would be enforcing... so far there is only one that I know of that I haven't heard anyone being asked for... in their first list of requirements they listed proof of insurance with a Mexican company, these are all owned and operated threw the Mexican government, it is also a federal law in Mexico that you are required to have proof of insurance through a Mexican company. I don't know why they don't ask for it, but I suspect that it is their hole card if you don't have a good attitude they can pull out and make you leave, just a thought because it puts money in the Mexican governments pocket so I don't see any other reason for them not to enforce it.
What they have typically been asking people for is a fishing license, a passport, an FMM, a TIP, a biosphere permit, and current registration. If you have that you are probably good to go, just keep in mind that just because they don't enforce a law it is still the law and they can at any time. there are more things on that original list of requirements that no one has, like a radio operators license etc.
Just keep in mind, contrary to what a lot of people think, the Mexicans are not stupid, you won't be dealing with some turd civil servant you will be dealing with a captain of a Mexican war ship, he will have no sense of humor, he will be all business and very respectful... you will have no problems if you do the same.

Reactions: polfishski

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
I tried adding punctuation's and periods to try and figure out what he was trying to say and I still have No Idea what he said. :confused:
some times if you are using a different format than a typical html when you post it, it will remove all the punctuation... guess how i know. Having a post that is one long sentence is very hard to read... even if you have a magic decoder ring.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
Kevina you probably don't understand what he is trying to say because you have a brain, don't talk to little kids every day, and can figure out what you need to fish Mexico like most adults who have at least an average IQ, for the other half of the adult population they need to hire an attorney to figure it out. Just imagine what it would be like if they had to figure the hypotenuse of a right triangle as one of the requirements
Like I am any better... had a bracket that said outside on it... is that the front or the back? seems like the front would be the "out"side... had to get the other part to see which way it was supposed to go.... shit anyone should have known it meant the back side. we all have our moments.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
Just for shits and grins how about posting up where you got that information from and the date it was published

Grant Kimball

Don’t read this.
Jun 9, 2019
Vista
Name
Grant
Boat
China Cat Sunflower
Thanks guys. Sweet, then I am set :)

Last question... Is it sketchy to go solo? I personally don't mind, but my wife is getting weird about me going alone. It would be a weekend, so I'm assuming there will be others on the water as well..

Reactions: Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Thanks guys. Sweet, then I am set :)

Last question... Is it sketchy to go solo? I personally don't mind, but my wife is getting weird about me going alone. It would be a weekend, so I'm assuming there will be others on the water as well..
While other boats on the water can be a slight plus for confidence and a minus for fishing, it isn't really doing anything for your personal safety. Do you know how difficult it would be for anyone to see you out on the water if that were the case?

Best to have redundant safety gear and to assure wife feels better. Getting pulled over by the Mexican Navy while you're solo is also a little more nerve wracking. What I recommend:

1. VHF Radio on boat.
2. Floating, portable VHF Radio on your person.
3. EPIRB on boat and/or PLB on your person.
4. Life jacket on at all times.
5. Cutoff switch connected at all times. Get a LONG rope so you can walk around.
6. Flares
7. Whistle
8. Signalling flags
9. Mirror
10. Compass
11. First aid kit
12. Vessel Assist
13. Float plan
14. Satellite based communication (like a Garmin In Reach)
15. Boat buddy
16. Proper maintenance for boat and outboard. Proper tools and spare parts just in case.
17. Portable battery jumpstart kit

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
I told you to upgrade that life insurance, then she would be much more eager to see you leave. I go alone all the time, nothing is going to happen that wouldn't happen if someone was with you. It has always got my girlfriend and my daughter all upset. I don't have much time left and don't want to waste it waiting for other people. For the last year it has made me more nervous than before because I'm a little older and if shit happens I could be seriously fucked. All the safety stuff is all well and good, but do what any experienced sailor does when he is alone, if it is getting a little rough, tie off. Tie a rope around your waist and to some thing solid in your boat, if you go over there is no one to throw you some thing, you will drift at a much different rate than your boat, most of that safety stuff is going to be on your boat not your person, and if you don't have a ladder and/or you have never tried to climb back into your boat you will be surprised at how hard it is to do. There you are swimming like a mother fucker and your boat is getting further and further away... it's funny but not when it happens to you, and it can. Hey when your best years are behind you and all you have to look forward to is it getting harder and harder to do anything... you don't have much to lose, so I keep going alone all the time. :rofl: The problem is these other two assholes always show up and go too... and they suck, I have to do all the work, all the clean up, pay for everything. and they can never agree on where to go, so it is the three of us, me, myself, and I.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
I go alone all the time and it sucks... it is harder to find fish, and it really, really sucks when you catch one and you can't get the fucker in the boat because your alone and can't get it over the rail.

Grant Kimball

Don’t read this.
Jun 9, 2019
Vista
Name
Grant
Boat
China Cat Sunflower
Haha now that’s an answer I can get behind. I did get mxn insurance and a handheld floatable vhf.. which doesn’t seem like I’m getting shit for reception.. maybe it will work better on the water??

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Haha now that’s an answer I can get behind. I did get mxn insurance and a handheld floatable vhf.. which doesn’t seem like I’m getting shit for reception.. maybe it will work better on the water??
VHF is typically line of sight. If you're testing it on land, you aren't gonna get a connection.

Grant Kimball

Don’t read this.
Jun 9, 2019
Vista
Name
Grant
Boat
China Cat Sunflower
That's what I figured. Thank you. I have most of the other stuff onboard, but you're right.. if my batteries die, my onboard vhf ain't gunna be worth squat.