Questions about 12v stern pole light sockets.

Michael L.

Aug 25, 2019
California
Name
Michael Leon
Boat
Hobie Outback
I have a 16 foot Lund and I'm trying to figure out the best way to add lighting for fishing at night. I want to make an led spotlight that would plug into the socket that is normally used for the rear navigation light pole. I have a few questions about whether or not this is feasible.

Are all 2 prong 12v connectors compatible?

Can I just buy the male end of the socket and use PVC pipe up to an led spot light?

The light pole that came with my boat has a very dim 906 halogen bulb. Would the wiring on the inside of my boat be able to handle the brighter spotlight?

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I hate those sockets. Always get corroded.

Maybe a Marinco Scotty downrigger type plug and socket under gunwale. I use them for downrirggers, pot pullers and squid lights. That is, if you want it removable.

Amazon product

Upvote 0

Michael L.

Aug 25, 2019
California
Name
Michael Leon
Boat
Hobie Outback
I hate those sockets. Always get corroded.

Maybe a Marinco Scotty downrigger type plug and socket under gunwale. I use them for downrirggers, pot pullers and squid lights. That is, if you want it removable.

Amazon product
So if I installed this type of plug there shouldn't be any issue just wiring a spot light to the male end?

Reactions: Derby
Upvote 0

Derby

Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
So if I installed this type of plug there shouldn't be any issue just wiring a spot light to the male end?

You should wire it with correct size cable and provide a fuse or resettable breaker.

But yeah it will work.

Like I said, I used them for downrigger, pot puller and squid lights. Just have to buy a new male plug for each device.

Wire and fuse for highest amp device.

Upvote 0

Derby

Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I should also mention, they make different types of receptacles for different mounting locations.

My best results is under gunwale with male end pointing down. That way you don't bump into it.

Upvote 0