Question re Williamson Koika Jig Hardware

jk1926

Jun 2, 2007
El Segundo, CA
Name
Jon Kempo
Boat Name
None
Hi Steve - I picked up a couple of 200 gram Koika jigs and some questions. Do you recommend upgrading the split ring and assist hook if:
(1) Used for slow pitch application?;
(2) Used for daytime bluefin fishing in place of colt sniper style jig?
(3) Do you fish your Koika jigs with the assist hook on top as it comes packaged or reconfigure the hook location?

Thanks Steve. Look forward to hearing how your Shogun 8-trip fared.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat Name
Bass Tracker 16
A lot of options, but I virtually always get rid of the stock hooks.
I upgrade to Owner ultra split rings, and also put a solid ring in the front.
In some cases I go with an Owner ST66 treble on the tail end; about a 2/0 for the 200gr. size. I like this for 50-90 pound tuna.
For YT and schoolie bluefin, I go with 5/0 Owner Dual Dancing Stingers front and back [note: this is illegal for rockfish!].
Koikas were hot for YT on our 8-day, and I also got a very nice grouper on a Koika fished SPJ style.

Upvote 0

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat Name
Shogun
A lot of options, but I virtually always get rid of the stock hooks.
I upgrade to Owner ultra split rings, and also put a solid ring in the front.
In some cases I go with an Owner ST66 treble on the tail end; about a 2/0 for the 200gr. size. I like this for 50-90 pound tuna.
For YT and schoolie bluefin, I go with 5/0 Owner Dual Dancing Stingers front and back [note: this is illegal for rockfish!].
Koikas were hot for YT on our 8-day, and I also got a very nice grouper on a Koika fished SPJ style.
Hey Steve
When are we gonna get that 8 day report. Can’t wait to hear how it went.
Regards
Scott

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat Name
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
Hi Steve. Home for a while after the Vagabond 8 day

Follow up question on rigging slow pitch. When fishing shallow water ( 40 to 60 or so feet ) where one is going to make contact with the bottom probably, would you recommend no hook on the bottom ?

Both Nathan and I instantly lost our jigs when they hit the bottom with hook on the bottom. After that, we went to hook(s) only on the top.

Your take on this scenario is appreciated

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat Name
Bass Tracker 16
Hi Steve. Home for a while after the Vagabond 8 day that got cut short. +

Follow up question on rigging slow pitch. When fishing shallow water ( 40 to 60 or so feet ) where one is going to make contact with the bottom probably, would you recommend no hook on the bottom ?

Both Nathan and I instantly lost our jigs when they hit the bottom with hook on the bottom. After that, we went to hook(s) only on the top.

Your take on this scenario is appreciated

Yes, on especially snaggy bottom you should just go with the two top hooks.
However, when fishing in NorCal and the twin hooks top and bottom are not legal for rockfish/lingcod, I go with a large 8/0 single hook on the tail end. This allows me to add an optional large plastic grub to help attract lingcod, and does not seem to get hung up too badly [though I am careful].

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat Name
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
I had on an 8/0 J octopus hook. It stuck instantly. On a good note, a parent of a student I taught gave me a slow pitch rod. Not a Penn but a Phenix Black Diamond Titan series. Heavy for 100 lb braid. Never got a chance to use it on the BFT yet

Upvote 0