Question on Wave height and Period vs comfort.

castone001

Jun 3, 2013
Murrieta
Name
Chris Stone
Boat
Dos Viejos
Question to you all the skilled boaters......if you saw this forecast and your in a deep vee 24' cuddy would you say its a rough time or a roll roll time? Wind is coming up frmo the south at that time as well around 6knotts.
I am still trying to figure out the wave Height vs Wave Period = comfort or a victory at sea experience :)

1588287705090.png

1588287912924.png

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Anything less than 7-8 seconds 3-4’ is going to be bumpy, you can have a larger swell and still be comfortable if they are spread apart. It’s when they are closer together is when it gets rough

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
17 Aquasport
Its mainly about the wind, is 6 knotts isn't bad 15 gets annoying. the swell really compounds the interest when the wind is up and makes it deadly. You have numbers fat 8:51 AM, but need to look at the whole day to get an accurate picture of what to expect, typically it starts out better and gets windiest around 2-3 when most people are heading back in. Try windy.com its great.

Reactions: castone001
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Wind below 10 knots is a non-factor.

Beyond that, there are really no good rules of thumb to tell distinguish between go/no-go -- just the extremes are obvious. Too much is boat specific and one guy's 4 feet at 8 seconds is another guy's 5 feet at 5 seconds. The best thing to do is go one when the forecast is less than 4 feet and the period greater than 8 seconds and see how you and your boat handle it. Make note of the conditions, and see practice estimating size and period. When you get back, check what the actual size and period at your location were (you might be surprised). Once you establish a base line, be a little adventurous. On a prior boat, I went out of the harbor into breaking 10' waves. (The thing about the ratio of height to period is that it is a good measure of the steepness of the waves -- it really doesn't get any steeper than breaking, and absent significant wind, you are not going to see breaking swell in the open ocean unless the period is way shorter than wave height.) Anyway, that is the worst I have ever been in intentionally, and I will do whatever I can to avoid an 8 foot swell with even an 8 second period, knowing that the forecast could be easily be off enough that actual conditions are 10' at 6 seconds.

Upvote 0

castone001

Jun 3, 2013
Murrieta
Name
Chris Stone
Boat
Dos Viejos
Its mainly about the wind, is 6 knotts isn't bad 15 gets annoying. the swell really compounds the interest when the wind is up and makes it deadly. You have numbers fat 8:51 AM, but need to look at the whole day to get an accurate picture of what to expect, typically it starts out better and gets windiest around 2-3 when most people are heading back in. Try windy.com its great.

Thank you for the reply!!
Makes sense and yes sorry I should have added the afternoon picture. Here is 2pm for Saturday. looks like the wind picks up but waves stay about the same.

1588289371337.png

1588289192641.png

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
17 Aquasport
Nomads advice has more depth and accuracy. The whole picture needs to come into play, are you heading out a couple of miles for Calicos, where you can make adjustments and head in if needed or is it a trip to the Cortez? There's a lot of variables in the question and each has a level of acceptance to comfort or safety.

Reactions: castone001
Upvote 0

Reefer

Almost A Member
May 21, 2006
San Diego
Name
Bob
Boat
Pez Vela
An 8 second wave period is fairly typical for a local 1' - 3' wind swell. With 5'+ wave heights, that same 8 second wave period becomes an abnormally uncomfortable head sea. I'd cancel any plans to fish on the anchor ... period. If I was planning an offshore trip, there's only a slim chance I punish myself and my crew in a 24' boat, and would limit my expectations to a short day on the water.

Upvote 0

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
white caps start around winds of 12ish knots. Rule of thumb depending on other factors, if the wave duration is at least twice the wave height boat ride shouldn't be too bad.

Reactions: Danno
Upvote 0

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Brookings, Southern Oregon
Name
Chris
Boat
21 Arima Ranger 'HogFish'
If you ask that question you should do some self educating on what those reports signify on nws etc. Ask Capt Google! ie 5ft significant wave height dont mean that they are all 5 ft high!! you can get 10 footers in 5ft sea forecasts! and 3 footers! its like 40% rain probability for tomorrow. what the fuck does that really mean?!

start here on the faq's

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
In addition to just looking at a forecast and if its go or no go situation it is important to know what the trends are. Certainly it is easier the more time you spend on the water but following the marine forecast and actual buoy conditions have been for a few days before hand helps a lot in the decision. Also when your on the water pay attention to the actual conditions VS the forecast. If your really anal about it then after a day on the water look at what the buoys were like during the same time. It helps give you an idea what real world conditions look like as they register at the buoy..

Most marine forecast areas are actually pretty big. Where you are in that area can affect the conditions on the ground VS the forecast quite a bit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0