Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I call this one Bill the Cat and it is available in stores.

View attachment 1217040I
I'm thinking Bill has seen better days!
I was on the trip where Bill earned his reputation. He started off just like any other bomb and just kept on killing Wahoo. That’s Jerry’s first bomb, “Hooicide” I have one, black and purple, it’s also a killer, but mine has a few more strands of tinsel.

Reactions: FishRock
Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
What about weight? Does anybody know the weight of Captain Jimmy Bombs? I know there’s an optimal weight. Too heavy, harder to retrieve fast enough. Too light, doesn’t sink fast enough.

I have a KK Pono Bomb, given to us all on Ken’s 10 Day last year on the Angler. Nose is rounded, blunt. Is it easy enough to retrieve?

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
I'm thinking Bill has seen better days!

Certainly has. He was all shiny and new in the package but I think he looks way better now and reminds me of a great trip. That photo was taken after he had been re-built once by Cubeye (new skirt and wire). I went 10 for 12 with him on one trip over 6 days. He worked at Alijos Rocks and Hurricane Bank. The two I missed were due to a light drag. As soon as I buttoned it back down he killed every hoo that hit. Lost the spinner blade on my last fish. My 5 other wahoo came on the troll.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
What about weight? Does anybody know the weight of Captain Jimmy Bombs? I know there’s an optimal weight. Too heavy, harder to retrieve fast enough. Too light, doesn’t sink fast enough.

I have a KK Pono Bomb, given to us all on Ken’s 10 Day last year on the Angler. Nose is rounded, blunt. Is it easy enough to retrieve?
5 oz. for the Jimmy Bombs. Perfect size and weight as far as I'm concerned. One of the best bombs made.

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none

I know I have some bombs that are too light, won't sink fast enough. I think under 5 ounces is too light. I'm re-rigging them with a 2 ounce egg sinker between the hook and the head. I'll see if it works out.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I know I have some bombs that are too light, won't sink fast enough. I think under 5 ounces is too light. I'm re-rigging them with a 2 ounce egg sinker between the hook and the head. I'll see if it works out.

Yep that is the reason for the 6.5 oz bombs we have found that the faster sink rate and staying deep on the ultra fast retrieve especially on the slide results in more strikes......

IMG_4071.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve K
Upvote 0