Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Hello Fellow Rod Builders,
I have been using Flex Coat High and D2 rod finishes forever, now I understand there a new one on the block , Called "Gen4" some are saying its the best stuff ever..
I am thinking of trying it but wanted to get some opinions first..
Please chime in Thanks
Gary (Plain Jane Rods hobby builder)

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
I tried Gen 4 and I am not smart enough to know the difference. A couple things I did notice was that I had to wear gloves because to the mixed stuff was really sticky. The other thing was that they recommend mixing 3 ml minimum of each part and that meant I always had a lot of left over. I have been using Flex Coat because that what was available at Squidco.

Reactions: gecsr1
Upvote 0

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Well I guess I will stick to what I have been using... Thanks for the input

Upvote 0

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    Ive used almost everything, including Gen 4. My favorites are Pro Kote, and D2. I apply epoxy in a really cold garage, and i normally have to heat my epoxy up in a bottle warmer prior to mixing an applying it. I tried that with Gen 4, but it gave more bubbles than any other epoxy ive ever used.

I wrap and get at a minimum 4 or 5 rods to epoxy before I apply it, so the 3ml minimum I didnt mind. But after 2 coats of G4, I went back to finishing the rods with Pro Kote that batch.

Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Ive used almost everything, including Gen 4. My favorites are Pro Kote, and D2. I apply epoxy in a really cold garage, and i normally have to heat my epoxy up in a bottle warmer prior to mixing an applying it. I tried that with Gen 4, but it gave more bubbles than any other epoxy ive ever used.

I wrap and get at a minimum 4 or 5 rods to epoxy before I apply it, so the 3ml minimum I didnt mind. But after 2 coats of G4, I went back to finishing the rods with Pro Kote that batch.
    Thank You

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    I like the Flex Coat Ultra V better than the high build.The high build is actually thinner and smells like it has a solvent in it.

Upvote 0

LB.

Lb’s Customs
    Aug 29, 2018
    La Crescenta CA
    Name
    Ralph ‘Lb’ H.
    Boat
    Outrider-Mirage-Excel-Shogun-Endeavor
    Switched up to the G4, and I’ll never look back. Little more pot life than the Bullards, no bubbles, and clear. Absolutely love it. But yes @swami 805 the folks at voodoo are the salt of the earth, for sure.
    Cheers

Reactions: SouthBayKiller
    Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
    Formerly Long Beach, now Fort Lauderdale area
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    Switched up to the G4, and I’ll never look back. Little more pot life than the Bullards, no bubbles, and clear. Absolutely love it. But yes @swami 805 the folks at voodoo are the salt of the earth, for sure.
    Cheers
    Same here. Switched to G4 from threadmaster lite. Folks at Voodoo are the best in the world and wish I could get all my stuff from them.

Reactions: LB. and VooDooRods
    Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
    May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    It's been a few months and a few builds. Here's my take on it so far...

G4 has the best bubble release, to an extent... more on that later. It self levels just as good as D2. The catalyst bottle is solid white to block UV. The resin has a slight blue tint to it to counter yellowing as well. These 2 factors help make it crystal clear, at least initially. I haven't seen a rod come back after spending a season on deck so I'll reserve my opinion on that until then. Pot life is longer than D2 and about on par with Flex Coat Lite. For some reason I've been able to get away with 1 less coat of finish which has been a great time saver.

Bubble release has been touted it's biggest feature. I first started using it in the warmer months. And I can vouch for it's bubble release performance.

But eventually I found where bubble release performance can hinder. It's when a foreign ingredient is introduced... aka marbling. When mixing in pigment or paint it basically performs like any other epoxy. I now marble with a different epoxy and finish off G4. No issues so far. :D🤞

Another hit to bubble release performance has been the recent cold months. The epoxy gets thicker which makes it harder to release air.

A quick sweep with the heat gun takes care of this. And what's funny is it actually does seem to release bubbles better compared to other epoxies when using a heat gun.

I was skeptical at first but since trying it I've switched to G4 as my go to. But I'll still use D2 if I need to get 3-4 coats done in a day during a heatwave. And of course I have my go to for marbling. Try it, you never know...

Last edited:
    Reactions: JTrelikes
    Upvote 0

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    It's been a few months and a few builds. Here's my take on it so far...

G4 has the best bubble release, to an extent... more on that later. It self levels just as good as D2. The catalyst bottle is solid white to block UV. The resin has a slight blue tint to it to counter yellowing as well. These 2 factors help make it crystal clear, at least initially. I haven't seen a rod come back after spending a season on deck so I'll reserve my opinion on that until then. Pot life is longer than D2 and about on par with Flex Coat Lite. For some reason I've been able to get away with 1 less coat of finish which has been a great time saver.

Bubble release has been touted it's biggest feature. I first started using it in the warmer months. And I can vouch for it's bubble release performance.

But eventually I found where bubble release performance can hinder. It's when a foreign ingredient is introduced... aka marbling. When mixing in pigment or paint it basically performs like any other epoxy. I now marble with a different epoxy and finish off G4. No issues so far. :D🤞

Another hit to bubble release performance has been the recent cold months. The epoxy gets thicker which makes it harder to release air.

A quick sweep with the heat gun takes care of this. And what's funny is it actually does seem to release bubbles better compared to other epoxies when using a heat gun.

I was skeptical at first but since trying it I've switched to G4 as my go. But I'll still use D2 if I need to get 3-4 coats done in a day during a heatwave. And of course I have my go to for marbling. Try it, you never know...
    Thank You, this is the best review on Gen 4 I've heard... so maybe in the summer I'll give it a try ...

Upvote 0

ED3

Almost A Member
    Mar 21, 2016
    California
    Name
    Eddie
    Boat
    Your Mom
    I have been using the G4 since it became available. It is my go to now for every day work. It takes a lot of the work out of getting a clear finish accomplished for me. The bubble release factor is pretty crazy, its evident even in the mixing process. The G4 will have substantially less air bubbles in the mixing process. I find the pot life to be longer than D2 ,which is good for me and the speed I work at . I found I dont have to hit the G4 with any heat gun or bubble buster, it goes off by itself as it turns on my dryer with very good results. I have had no issues with Gen 4 yellowing, and have used it solely now for probably a good 7 months.

Upvote 0

Mtnfshr

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Nov 20, 2011
    Thornton
    Name
    Chuck Mc
    Boat
    none
    Interesting. I've read that Gen4 doesn't do well with heat. I can't say, as I haven't used it, let alone bought any. Maybe it's because you just give it a quick sweep with the heat gun. Blowing on the bubbles through a straw has worked well for me.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Somebody here said they really like prokote so....
    Mudhole just had a 20% off sale if you spend 200.00 or more and I had a balance pending on a credit card of 215.00 , with free shipping too....
    and being home a lot more I placed a 220.00 order for blanks and misc, stuff ,
    And the 4oz size Prokote High Build rod epoxy so I am going to give it a try..
    if anyone has experience or tricks to appling the pro coat please chime

I have always used DII or Flexcoat high build

Thanks

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Well I just gave the "ProKote High Build a try... and my rod room is cold... so I cheat I will heat the epoxy in my mircowave for 5/6 seconds ,
    I only had one guide to coat and only one coat as I squeezed out the first coat from the last of my flexcoat high build...LOL
    Okay back to the ProKote high build : Its a lot thicker than Flex Coat or D2 high build epoxies, I use a mudd hole mixer with the round metal slug that helps mix the epoxy well the ProKote is so thick that the round metal slug just stuck to the mixing cup, so I kinda held it in place so the epoxy would mix well and it did..
    so the test applying it well it goes on really smooth and no bubbles and then flow very nice even as its thicker than Flex coat.. it laid nice and smooth very easy to manage..
    even as thick as it was. I did flash it quickly ( didn't really have too) but just to how it reacts to my alcohol burner.. and it looks great... again my room was really cold like mid 60 degrees.
    when I buy more I will try medium build or just regular.
    Over and out very manageable , easy to apply flows great ....

just some info what its worth I have no idea....

rod building there is always something to learn...new or just a better way...

Last edited:
    Reactions: skrilla

Nhan Bui Flashbite

Do it, don’t talk too much
  • May 5, 2016
    Westminster
    Name
    Nhan
    Boat
    Sienna
    Forgive me for my grammar because my English is not good. I have to vote for Gen4 and D2. I tried some different brands from Flex Coat , Prokote , D2 and G4 and here what i see from my personal experiences.

+ Flex coat : very good epoxy , fast drying time. I just don’t like it because i got some custom rods got yellowing so fast after short time.

+ Prokote : thin epoxy, take more time to dry. I don’t like this one with 2 reasons. 1st reason i do repair guides for some tackle shops, it takes so long to dry. 2nd reason : it went dark faster than any other epoxies . Look at the pictures i attach. I bought it after the D2 6 or 7 months, and now it look like black epoxy :)) i just used it for any of black out rods so i got a very very dark black.

+ D2: can’t complain . Casey is nicest seller i bought from. Fast drying time, clear epoxy, self leveling. Nothing to complain. This one is the one i used for all repair guides rod because of fast drying.

+ G4: can’t complain either. Very good bubble release. Self leveling.Little bit longer drying time than D2 but not too much. Super clear epoxy. I used it for all of new build rods because i want the rods look clearest. Negative for G4 are always out of stock and only Mr @JTrelikes can have 1 gallon bottle. That’s all . 😂

E05D4847-F0F7-433E-BF06-469D51F3A4A5.jpeg

Last edited:

cow man

Tuna addict
  • Aug 29, 2012
    Glide Or. 97443
    Name
    Jake Waardenburg
    Boat
    N/A
    How long has Gen 4 been around? Always wonder how long it will last and stay looking clear vs D2 and others?? Just a thought..
    Definitely user friendly like it except in colder/wetter weather..

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: JTrelikes