Question on registering a homemade boat in CA

miaf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
Does anyone have recent experience on how to register a homemade boat in CA. The boat has no hull number and has never been registered. There’s no identifiable numbers or manufacture markings. I got some conflicting information when I went to AAA. One person said CHP has to issue a hull number and one person said the DMV would issue it. Additionally, does anyone know if the DMV or CHP had to physically inspect the boat prior to issuing a hull number. It’s a 9ft fiberglass dinghy that I am trying to register.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
I built a skiff, and welded a trailer for it 20 years ago, and it was all done at the DMV. I made an appointment , drove the rig in and they looked at the boat, asked for all the receipts so they could assign a value to it for taxing purposes. You then go inside and they do the paperwork for you . (Don't know what you do with the Covid stuff now). You get your CF designation in the mail a few weeks later, Buy the stickers and apply. It was pretty easy 20 years ago.

They did not inspect it for safety or seaworthiness. They just said ,"Nice job."

Reactions: cortezpirasea
Upvote 0

miaf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
I built a skiff, and welded a trailer for it 20 years ago, and it was all done at the DMV. I made an appointment , drove the rig in and they looked at the boat, asked for all the receipts so they could assign a value to it for taxing purposes. You then go inside and they do the paperwork for you . (Don't know what you do with the Covid stuff now). You get your CF designation in the mail a few weeks later, Buy the stickers and apply. It was pretty easy 20 years ago.

They did not inspect it for safety or seaworthiness. They just said ,"Nice job."

Thanks for the response. Good info!

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Too bad,that is a shit show,had to go to get a vin verified on a reconstructed title for a totaled truck.FYI,get there at 7 AM(maybe 6:30 if a busy one),stand in line until they bring you a number.After so many numbers they will give you a sheet of paper to come back later that day.After they open at 8 it moves pretty well.I went to highway patrol and was told I have to start with the DMV in the same county you will be registering it.Tom

Upvote 0