Question on catching yellowfin

Scanna

Meatball maker
Apr 30, 2015
Name
Scott
Boat
Not Yet
Hey, dumb question first thing in the morning. I'm going fishing in about ten days for yellowfin and I'm ready to go now. I will be on a charter so I'm sure the captain will have some great advice but just curious if there are suggestions on what to buy in terms of gear and lures. I'm buying a new offshore casting rod today, Lexa 400 is what I'm thinking but who knows when I get there. Long-time fishing guy, first time fishing for tuna, I'm from Florida and moved here to California four years ago. So, what to bring and what to buy!!!! thanks for any suggestions. Like I said dumb questions but I hate to get to the boat and find that they are really hitting on something or something really works and I'm twenty miles out.

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
Hey, dumb question first thing in the morning. I'm going fishing in about ten days for yellowfin and I'm ready to go now. I will be on a charter so I'm sure the captain will have some great advice but just curious if there are suggestions on what to buy in terms of gear and lures. I'm buying a new offshore casting rod today, Lexa 400 is what I'm thinking but who knows when I get there. Long-time fishing guy, first time fishing for tuna, I'm from Florida and moved here to California four years ago. So, what to bring and what to buy!!!! thanks for any suggestions. Like I said dumb questions but I hate to get to the boat and find that they are really hitting on something or something really works and I'm twenty miles out.
I would recommemd not getting the lexa as your first overall setup... It is kindof a specific setup, not extremely versatile, since it has the even line retrieve feature of baitcasters and not too tall of a spool diameter...

I would recommend getting any of the following reels as the best overall for fishing 20-30lb leader, which is what we mostly use on sportboats for most fish. Some of these reels can even be used for 40lb.
Avet MXL
Penn fathom 25N(star)
Penn torque 25N(star)
Trinidad 16
Avet Sx raptor
Avet mxJ raptor

Etc...

Get #2 and 3/0 ringed hooks( owner or mustad have worked for me).

Buy 25 and 30lb fluorocarbon
If you get a reel like the avet raptors in those sizes i mentioned above, or the penn's, you can even get some 40lb fluorocarbon.

Thats it!
-Aren

ycnibrc

Aug 18, 2010
Irvine CA
Name
Anthony
Boat
Hook Up
2 out fit 30lb and 40lb with different size circle hook 2/0,3/0,fluoro carbon. You probably use the 30lb most of the time unless the captain find a big school then switch to 40lb.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
If you go with the Lexa put a lot of Spectra backing of no more than 50# on it for additional line capacity as the Lexa is a fairly small spool as mentioned. With a mono topshot of 70-100 ish yards of 30 you'll probably be fine depending on how many tangles you have to cut your way out of. In worst case you'll have to tie/spool on another topshot possibly which is time consuming and can cost you the bite.

It's a good choice but a bit risky as your only option.

The BIG stuff that might bite this year will over match most anything.

I'm not a huge fan of mono to fluoro on a sport boat. But bring 30 and 40 if it makes you feel better.

Without knowing the rod you intend to pair it on I'd add a Torium 16 or 20
to the list mentioned to consider. I don't see the value in the extra $ for a Trini.

Last edited:

Scanna

Meatball maker
Apr 30, 2015
Name
Scott
Boat
Not Yet
I would recommemd not getting the lexa as your first overall setup... It is kindof a specific setup, not extremely versatile, since it has the even line retrieve feature of baitcasters and not too tall of a spool diameter...

I would recommend getting any of the following reels as the best overall for fishing 20-30lb leader, which is what we mostly use on sportboats for most fish. Some of these reels can even be used for 40lb.
Avet MXL
Penn fathom 25N(star)
Penn torque 25N(star)
Trinidad 16
Avet Sx raptor
Avet mxJ raptor

Etc...

Get #2 and 3/0 ringed hooks( owner or mustad have worked for me).

Buy 25 and 30lb fluorocarbon
If you get a reel like the avet raptors in those sizes i mentioned above, or the penn's, you can even get some 40lb fluorocarbon.

Thats it!
-Aren
I like the Penn 25N, looks sharp. The avet raptor looks sweet as well. I will take your advice on the 400, I have seen guys throw these types before and I think they will handle bigger game. Awesome

Tandem Assassin

Night Stalker
Jun 28, 2005
Earth
Name
Tonto Hanglow
Boat
"Two Can Chew"
I am a Daiwa guy - Love my Saltist 30. Nothing against the other brands. Just do want my reel to be one of a hundred Shimanos in the rack as hard to pick yours out. never had a failure..

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
No disrespect to the Lexa, or to daiwa.. Great company, great reels.... My argument is for a versatile reel vs a specific reel... The reels that i mentioned, in my opinion, are much better choices if you're looking for a single reel that can do almost everything. If your only fishing jigs and artificials, for example, i bet the lexa would be superior to the reels i mentioned... But for a reel that does both jigs and bait, a taller more open reel that holds more line is more ideal.. And, they all have good freespool

Tandem Assassin

Night Stalker
Jun 28, 2005
Earth
Name
Tonto Hanglow
Boat
"Two Can Chew"
I have kayak fished for 40 plus pound yellows at La Jolla, caught big white seabass as well. Also taken my Saltist 30 on a overnight trip last year and caught 15 fish with it. I use them on my 17' CC this year and have nothing but good things to say about them. Throwing iron - no problem. Chunking no issue, casting a dean or chovie effortless. Versatile, great free spool, nice star drag that just plan ass works. It all breaks down to what feels good in your hand and gives you confidence. Hard to make a bad choice with any of the reels arenpilv41 mentioned as well.

Reactions: YellowTail310

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
May 14, 2009
San Diego/Tacoma USA
Name
Marcel
Boat
Limited load cattle car
Just ask that person in your avatar what they used to bring that TOAD YT over the rail and you'll be good! J/K...Agree with at least 2 outfits this season. Be prepared to toss live bait and/or jigs. "Go to's" would be a star drag reel in 30 & 40 lb. setups. My first reels were Penn 500's, Toriums, and Sealines. Flourocarbon line is your call. Matched to a 7-8 foot rod blank like a 270, 670, or 700/800M. (Grafighter series) Resist the urge, for now, to scoop up one of those pretty CNC aluminum lever drags. (Although Aren's Avet suggestions are good choices) Most YFT as of this post are running 20-35 lbs. average with some 50-60+ lbs. BFT schoolies just started chewing again recently after their BIG brothers were stealing some of the glory. They are in the 25-40 lb. range. Match tackle accordingly. Still a slight chance to catch that tuna brute of a lifetime (100+), but Carl hit it spot on. Not many of the larger models being landed over 150+ lbs. The ones that are, EVERYTHING fell into place. (I.E: Big 2 speed reel with correct line/backing, right rod, right hook, right knot, fighting harness, experienced technique, patience and living right...) Buy the best you can afford and you won't be sorry. Now go get BENT! :goldfish:

Reactions: Scanna

MJB

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
Reels have been covered as for Fluorcarbon I recommend it 20-40. Rods I'm a super seeker fan 7-8' 20-40 line rating your back will thank you.

MJB

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
Reels have been covered as for Fluorcarbon I recommend it 20-40. Rods I'm a super seeker fan 7-8' 20-40 line rating your back will thank you.

YellowTail310

Jul 28, 2006
Name
G
Boat
None
Don't forget the shimano flat fall jigs. I fish the 130g in anchovy and sardine.

Scanna

Meatball maker
Apr 30, 2015
Name
Scott
Boat
Not Yet
I have kayak fished for 40 plus pound yellows at La Jolla, caught big white seabass as well. Also taken my Saltist 30 on a overnight trip last year and caught 15 fish with it. I use them on my 17' CC this year and have nothing but good things to say about them. Throwing iron - no problem. Chunking no issue, casting a dean or chovie effortless. Versatile, great free spool, nice star drag that just plan ass works. It all breaks down to what feels good in your hand and gives you confidence. Hard to make a bad choice with any of the reels arenpilv41 mentioned as well.
Man the choices. Looks like I'm going shopping tomorrow. The saltist looks great

Reactions: Tandem Assassin

errock_22

Professional Fuel Burner
Apr 6, 2008
Ventura / SB
Name
Eric B.
Boat
Ranger 240 Bahia - "Lil' Mijo" & Triumph 1700 Skiff
Calstar 800M & a Torium 16 or 20 with 50 or 65lb spectra to a short top shot of 25-40lb flouro with 30 being ideal. DONE.

About as versatile as it gets for local fishing.

Reactions: Waxon67