Question ; Mercury outboard won't start

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by jd808, Aug 19, 2010.

1. jd808

jd808 Newbie

Name:
    JD
    Boat:
    24' Alii Kai "Goose"
    Aloha Gang,

I am running an old 1977 Mercury 500 - 50HP engine to power my boat. We were out a few months ago and after changing gas tanks the key would not start the motor. We jumped the solenoid and it worked.

I replaced the solenoid and the key still wouldn't fire the engine, but will still start by jumping with screwdriver. Then I replaced the ignition switch, same problem turn the key no do nothing, but will start with screwdriver jump to solenoid.

The key has to be turned on for the engine to start with the screwdriver, and when I turn the key off the engine turns off. The engine runs fine, and we've been out fishing the boat with no problems except for having to start em with a screwdriver.

Any suggestions? Any recommendations of a honest reliable Mercury mechanic on Oahu?

Mahalo for your help.

JD

2. fishstomp

fishstomp Picaroon

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    18' Seaswirl
    Get a voltmeter. Check voltage at the switch and chase it back to the solenoid. Do you have the control schematic?

3. Conquest

Conquest Newbie

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    27, Boston Whaler, Conquest
    Paradise Boats has been great for me. 234-1111

4. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    Your cables is buss up, use a volt meter and you can find the one that is busted

5. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    key switch has power going into it, then two outs... one for constant, and one that sends power to the solenoid... i think its the power wire going to that solenoid that's bad, or bad terminals on each end... thinking it's a chaffing issue, just wires cut somewhere... easy way to tell, run a seperate wire from the switch going to the solenoid. if that works, then its the wire that is ran through the boat and you need a new one...

6. jd808

jd808 Newbie

Name:
    JD
    Boat:
    24' Alii Kai "Goose"
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna try focus in on the wiring when I'm pau work. I'll let you know how everything works out.

JD

7. popoki

popoki Newbie

Name:
    Quintin
    Boat:
    "Ho'oKele" 26 Alii Kai
    one more thing to check is your neutral safety switch. this is located on the motor where the shift cable connects to the shift rod.

8. jd808

jd808 Newbie

Name:
    JD
    Boat:
    24' Alii Kai "Goose"
    Howzit guys,

I got a reference to call this guy Dwayne, and had him come out to help me with the wiring yesterday. We got 'em all squared away, and she starts like a champ. I was really impressed with Dwayne. He is very knowledgeable, fairly priced, and reliable. This is an unsolicited recommendation, but I would use him again in a heartbeat. PM me if you want his contact info.

Aloha, JD