Fin.Adx

Sushi Hunter
Jan 31, 2017
San Diego
Name
Sushi Hunter
Boat
Sushi Hunter
Sorry in advance this is not a report. Planning to head down to S an Quintin in a couple weeks for the first time. Anybody know what’s being caught around this time of year? gear recommendations? Where to stay? Old mill? Did read some posts...the one by a guy name Scott helped thanks. Just want to be prepared before heading down. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
  • May 31, 2014
    Name
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat
    Ponga
    You can Google or Facebook a lot down there. Jardines couple miles away, little more comfortable, Old Mill, Don Eddies right by ramp, little more rustic. Pretty recent posts here, Ted had a Jaime post, Always something to catch, Call Jamie, K& M, whoever your going with. 20lb to 50lb should cover lines. I drive 2 people so like 8 rods, 10 reels 12 to 80 lb line, just me. Lot of structure big yellowtail , white sea Bass always possible, being able to pull them out a plus

Upvote 0

Fin.Adx

Sushi Hunter
    Jan 31, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Sushi Hunter
    Boat
    Sushi Hunter
    Thank you all for the responses. Will be heading down Sunday. Hopefully, i’ll have something to report back.

Anybody know if you can fish from shore in front of the hotels in the bay? Looking for something to do during down time, anything worth catching?

Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
    Jul 9, 2006
    Warner Springs
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    Shore fishing can be productive - lot's of bonefish in the back bay along with corvina. The area around Molino Viejo/Old Mill & Don Eddies holds some decent juvenile broomtail grouper when the bait is there - catch and release please.

20180118_085607.jpg

Upvote 0

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
    san diego
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    n/a
    Any thing is possible with fishing in the bay from shore but I would not recommend it
    You could take a tour of the town, hit up the oyster farm on your way back in from fishing
    Good luck and have fun

Upvote 0

Fin.Adx

Sushi Hunter
    Jan 31, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Sushi Hunter
    Boat
    Sushi Hunter
    Any thing is possible with fishing in the bay from shore but I would not recommend it
    You could take a tour of the town, hit up the oyster farm on your way back in from fishing
    Good luck and have fun

Why don’t you recommend? Curious

Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
    Jul 9, 2006
    Warner Springs
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    If you want some light tackle fun bring some squid and a 4 lb trout rod - walk the shoreline past Don Eddies at low tide and fish a dropper loop with #6 or #8 hooks - small piece of squid - pretty much get bit every cast, mostly bonefish but a really fun battle on light gear.

Reactions: Taken for Granted
    Upvote 0

jsl

Oct 8, 2005
    Ontario
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    none
    60 lb setup for trolling with rapala x-rap magnums in sizes 15,20,30

50 lb setup for yoyo iron and heavy yoyo iron such as tady 4/0, Salas 6x jrs

40 lb live bait fly line setup

Torpedo sinkers in 4,8,16 oz

A couple boxes of squid

Sabikis

It's cold in the morning so a heavy jacket.

Have fun....

Scott

Upvote 0