Outhouse

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Feb 13, 2007
    Germantown, TN
    Name
    Jon Scobey
    Boat
    Titanic
    I’ve been blessed to have traveled to SD for 16 trips over 16 years. I’m now retired and costs of everything related to this great sport have skyrocketed. I figure I have 1-2 trips left before I simply can no longer afford to go. When that decision comes, I’ll have a truck load of gear not needed here in Tennessee.

I’m looking for suggestions for how to liquidate my gear? While my collection will pale in comparison to most, I still have lots of $ invested in rods, reels, line, lures, bags, etc…. I keep my gear in top shape having my reels serviced after every trip. Shipping costs are also going up. It cost me $312 to ship my rods for my recent trip, ONE WAY.. That was for 7 rods insured for replacement cost.

I'm in the 4th quarter of life with time left on the clock. But, I see the end on the horizon. My recent 10 day trip cost me approximately $7,500 which included airfare, hotels before and after, food and incidentals, shipping costs of my gear, boat fare and gratuity, a few bits of tackle and a massive bill for fish processing and shipIng. Simply doing some planning and looking for suggestions.

Reactions: jiggermyster

Senko888

Dec 8, 2020
    San francisco
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Hobie outback
    312 for shipping 7 rods 1 way is very expensive. I have a bazuka pro that fits 8’ rods and stays under the 115 to 126” (varies by airline) linear inches requirement paired with a small tackle box. This counts as 1 checked bag.

There’s also mike morris big fish transport that can store your gear and assist with travel logistics. Not sure what his rates are.

Reactions: Chicago Pete
    Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    Damn that's an expensive trip Jon. This puts things in perspective every time I contemplate retiring outside of SOCAL. I love fishing locally and I would have to cut my current 12-15 trips to just 2-3. Don't mean to pry but do you use your gear away from San Diego? No one you know that can store it for you?

Upvote 0

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
    Apr 5, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    Excel
    I did a write up a bit ago on shipping rods....link below. You can fit 2 rods into that tube (up to 8') if you put them against each other in the opposite direction and it shouldn't cost more than $25/$30 to ship each way. Insurance is hit or miss. Unless you have receipts, USPS won't cover much.....even if you do...it'll be hit or miss. I've shipped a ton of rods in and out to my location and never had an issue with these tubes. 2 rods wedge into the tube nice and snug....no need for crazy padding.....just enough to where they don't bang around inside.

Your problems plague us all. I drive from CO and find it saves some money still when I take shipping gear, rods, and clothes into consideration....but then again, TN is much further away.

If / when you decide to sell your stuff, add $20 into your rod price and list them "shipped". That way you're having the buyer cover half of that cost. Selling lures and gear is easy. USPS Priority Flat Rate is your friend. You'd be surprised how much crap you can stuff into those boxes.

Always ship Priority. Its tracked better and delivered faster than the few cents you'll save on First Class.

Worst case scenario....sell the rods and use boat rods with your reels......even worse case....sell rods and reels and run boat rods and reels. I love seeing rental using newbies bring in the biggest fish......so as an experienced fisherman, you should be just fine with them. Widdle down your gear to a small portable and easily travelled box of your favorite jigs and hooks. You're not new at this and know that if they're ONLY biting that one secret colored jig....someone on the boat will have one to give you. If you get rid of the rods and reels, it's also easy to stick a few Plano boxes into a flat rate box....ship to the hotel. Print a return shipping label and slap it on after the trip to ship your stuff back. This way you're only flying with your clothes.

The goal is to keep your ass going fishing.....so I'm thinking as caffeine is hitting my head.

- Sell your rods and reels....use boat gear.
    - Widdle down tackle to a few Planos you can fit into a large flat rate box
    - Give away or only keep 1 box of fish that you can check as a bag on the way back. Sometimes, it's cheap enough to upgrade your return flight to first class, where you get extra bags for free and extra weight in your bags

Not sure if any of this helps....but I hope so....sucks to have to cut down on trips due to rising costs.

Last edited:
    bradnoble
    bradnoble
    That’s exactly what I did. I own 1 rig and am renting 2 rigs for a 3 day in August…
    Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    I can sympathize with you as to retiring and now everything is going up faster than your retirement plan. Just wait and our government will probably add some other tax.

Furthermore, I agree with the above post to keep fishing as long as you can.

Here are just some of my thoughts. If you are a regular on a specific trip/boat maybe one of the other regulars can help you out by storing your rods and excess tackle. I fish with people that fly and let them go into my box and use what I have, that way they can bring less. I loaned jigs to many people. They usually buy me a beer or something.

You could travel lighter with just your reels, a few jigs, hooks, etc. I remember fishing with a guy that would trash his clothes at the end of the trip. He would just go to some thrift store and buy replacements. That eliminated one suit case.

You could sell your rods, locally talk to Tackle Traders in San Diego. A lot of shops sell used rods and reels but mostly on consignment. You also have BD forum and E-bay. Not sure how well rods do but reels if priced right do sell. You could also offer some stuff to passengers and crew for a good price.

You could donate you excess jigs, hook, line, etc to one of the Kid's fishing programs in San Diego. They always need stuff. Or sell it to someone on the trip, or BD or Ebay. I've also given some tackle to the boat. I have stuff my Dad owned, my brothers and the stuff I buy. So I have a lot.

You do have several options and I agree keep fishing as long as possible.

Tight lines.

Reactions: Tymeflyme
    Upvote 0

ricogrande

May 22, 2010
    Mud Bay, Wa. USA
    Name
    Fred
    Boat
    Vamoose
    As far as saving some bucks and still do some killer trips, you could consider changing your focus. Get some friends together and charter Danny Osuna with Marla’s Sportfishing in the winter for cow YFT. Then, in the spring, do a panga trip in Loreto with a reputable pangero ( I can help) for mossback YT. Use Danny’s gear in PV and a couple of travel outfits for Loreto. Two of those trips might cost about the same as one SD long range with very little tackle needs. Just my 2 cents worth. By the way, I’m still getting lots of use out of the Kolekar handles I got from you. Thanks again

Upvote 0

Cplug

Jul 19, 2014
    Name
    Cplug
    Boat
    II Sons
    312 for shipping 7 rods 1 way is very expensive. I have a bazuka pro that fits 8’ rods and stays under the 115 to 126” (varies by airline) linear inches requirement paired with a small tackle box. This counts as 1 checked bag.

There’s also mike morris big fish transport that can store your gear and assist with travel logistics. Not sure what his rates are.

Upvote 0

Cplug

Jul 19, 2014
    Name
    Cplug
    Boat
    II Sons
    As far as saving some bucks and still do some killer trips, you could consider changing your focus. Get some friends together and charter Danny Osuna with Marla’s Sportfishing in the winter for cow YFT. Then, in the spring, do a panga trip in Loreto with a reputable pangero ( I can help) for mossback YT. Use Danny’s gear in PV and a couple of travel outfits for Loreto. Two of those trips might cost about the same as one SD long range with very little tackle needs. Just my 2 cents worth. By the way, I’m still getting lots of use out of the Kolekar handles I got from you. Thanks again
    We live outside Seattle and years ago started using Mike Morris to store our gear. Yearly cost is about equal to your one way shipping. Also Mike delivers at the landing with maintenance as needed. He might even know someone who wants your gear. I buy a lot of surface iron gear.

Good luck and Fish on.

Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    We live outside Seattle and years ago started using Mike Morris to store our gear. Yearly cost is about equal to your one way shipping. Also Mike delivers at the landing with maintenance as needed. He might even know someone who wants your gear. I buy a lot of surface iron gear.

Good luck and Fish on.
    I heard Mike was retiring early next year. Wonder if he has any alternative suggestions?

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    None of us is getting any younger. I have to agree with Rich, hope to find a friend who lives close to Sandy Eggo to keep your gear. I get it, Jon, you’ve been fishing that trip for a lot of years. Don’t really want to switch. Been there, 6 of 8 years same trip in January. Had to switch in 2019 and our grandson was born the day after the trip left.

Reactions: RichG
    Upvote 0

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
    Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego North County
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Chelsea Rae
    Hey Jon
    If you need to store your gear so you don’t have to transport it back and forth I have plenty of room …25 minutes from the landing….it will stay safe and taken care of like I take care of mine….rods reels bags etc
    To bring it to you is not a problem when you are getting ready to leave and pick up and clean, service if needed and be ready for the next time you go. All your gear would be tagged with your name and phone number…..easy peasy 😃
    I also go to northern Georgia 2-3 times a year….about 3 miles from the Tennessee state line so heading up to you is another option….least I can do for you my cricket flipping friend 😃
    Anytime Jon
    Hope you’re doing well 👍

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
    Bartlett, IL
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Excel
    Funny you should mention that. I'm thinking of moving to Chattanooga for retirement. Low taxes and housing cost will mean more $ for fishing trips!

Upvote 0

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
    Apr 17, 2007
    3rd dumpster on the right
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Lund LX200 LFC
    To your original question about selling gear, whenever you determine the time is right to sell, I’ve had the best luck with BD listings and eBay…

Up until a couple years ago I lived in LA, and face to face transactions thru BD yielded the best results. Mostly you were dealing with knowledgable buyers, and cash with no shipping simplifies everything…

Having moved away, I find the best approach is a 10 day auction on eBay. Starting bid of 99 cents generates initial interest, and once you get a few people watching it seems to go pretty well. Be sure to factor in shipping and fees. Rods might be another story. Maybe list thru BD a few weeks before a trip, and tell the seller you’ll meet them at the landing?

Good luck with however you choose to proceed!

Reactions: bigreddog
    Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    I am not urging you to quit fishing.....
    but if you decide that one trip is the last time you ship rods etc. (a) as suggested above start using boat rods,
    PERHAPS, post the gear you want to lighten at the end of a LR trip, on BD or where ever about 2 weeks before the trip and then stay over 2 days (while your fish gets processed and hard frozen [to be shipped cargo-to-cargo with you, maybe checked compare prices -- cargo-to-cargo is airport-to-airport. The 2 days lets you meet the BD buyers or Tackle Traders in person and get cash.
    Maybe keep your favorite reels and work a deal for renting just the rods from the boat?
    Wishing you all the best. Hope we get to fish together,

Reactions: Brad I and ripped
    Upvote 0

ripped

• Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Best to you Jon, it’s good to take a hard look at $$ coming in, and $$$ going out. The wonderful thing is that we are adaptable as conditions change in our lives. Just because you can’t do it the way you've done it for the last 16 years doesn’t mean you have to hang it up. What you have experienced on the water very, very few people can boast your collective memory from what you have witnessed. Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Gary

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Hey Jon
    If you need to store your gear so you don’t have to transport it back and forth I have plenty of room …25 minutes from the landing….it will stay safe and taken care of like I take care of mine….rods reels bags etc
    To bring it to you is not a problem when you are getting ready to leave and pick up and clean, service if needed and be ready for the next time you go. All your gear would be tagged with your name and phone number…..easy peasy 😃
    I also go to northern Georgia 2-3 times a year….about 3 miles from the Tennessee state line so heading up to you is another option….least I can do for you my cricket flipping friend 😃
    Anytime Jon
    Hope you’re doing well 👍
    Hell of an offer right there.

Upvote 0

Outhouse

• Feb 13, 2007
    Germantown, TN
    Name
    Jon Scobey
    Boat
    Titanic
    Funny you should mention that. I'm thinking of moving to Chattanooga for retirement. Low taxes and housing cost will mean more $ for fishing trips!
    Tennessee is a hot spot for folks looking to escape the insane taxes and politics of California. Tennessee has a lot to offer. West TN, where I live has fantastic fishing opportunities for freshwater. Tons of hunting opportunities with the Mississippi flyway for ducks (DU is based in Memphis. We are flat laponders. Middle TN has Nashville with beautiful rolling hills. Lastly, East TN has the Appalachian mountains.

Reactions: Fincutter
    Upvote 0