Question for 2120 owners

Discussion in 'Parker Boats - The Tradition Continues' started by Sagedaddy, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Sagedaddy

Sagedaddy Member

Name:
    Sagedaddy
    Boat:
    Riviera fish on
    ive got a 2004 2120 w a 225 yammy. My question is, what are you guys getting for a minimum planeing speed? I went from the stock 15” 3 blade to a 15 1/4” 4 blade. Love the feel of the new prop. Throttle response is great. The boat powers out of the hole great. This is the third prop I’ve tried and, unfortunately, I can’t seem to plane out till 17-18mph or more if loaded heavy. My prop guy seems to think that we should be able to get it down to around 14-15mph which would be great but I’m getting tired of swapping out props with no gain. I do not have a permatrim and my prop guy is adamantly against them. Just curious what you guys are running so I can learn something and hopefully find the happy medium. My fuel burn seems to be average at around 2mpg. Thanks.

2. BigJ186

BigJ186 Newbie

Name:
    Jeremy
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    Permatrim is the way to go don’t get the cheap ones boat plains way better

Northeastfshman and Fattony like this.
  3. angelinasdad

angelinasdad Captain

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    2nd on permatrim

Fattony likes this.
  4. timmyt134

timmyt134 Newbie

Name:
    tim
    Boat:
    lilypad
    That’s abou the same planeing speed for myself, 2320 rev4 17p and permatrim.

5. Mickdick

Mickdick Member

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Parker 2310
    I know what you're going through with Valley Propeller. He's awesome and had me go to a large 3 blade which lowered my planing speed but also lowered my top speed. I also lost some MPG but overall much safer ride in the Santa Barbara channel. I took off my Perma trim per his advice but am curious about putting it back on. When I fish down south I wish that I had a prop with more speed and Mpg but they're costly and I spend a ton on other boat crap so its still on the list...

6. Sagedaddy

Sagedaddy Member

Name:
    Sagedaddy
    Boat:
    Riviera fish on
    Jason, I see you’re in a 2310, so not exactly the same situation. But what was your planing speed and what is it now with the new prop. Sounds like he had you go with the same big 3 blade he wanted me to try first. Unfortunately on my boat it didn’t seem to lower planing speed and I seemed to get a fair amount of vibration around 3000rpm

7. eliner

eliner Member

Name:
    DAVID
    Boat:
    E-LINER
    Hope you have trim tabs, Helps with so many things

8. Sagedaddy

Sagedaddy Member

Name:
    Sagedaddy
    Boat:
    Riviera fish on
    Sure do. They work great. Just can’t seem to get the plane speed down. If 17mph is the best we can do then I’ll live with it. Was just hoping to get it down a bit. We have a crappy channel crossing and it would be more pleasant and safer if I could get on plane at slower speeds.

9. slab tech 1

slab tech 1 Works overrated- lets go fishing

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Parker 2520 XL
    I have the 2520xl with twin 150’s and permatrims and planing speed is around the same as you- somewhere around 17-19 mph. It may plane at a little slower speed than that but I have a kicker with a prop guard that starts to spray water so I usually stay above that speed.

10. Sagedaddy

Sagedaddy Member

Name:
    Sagedaddy
    Boat:
    Riviera fish on
    Thanks Eric,
    I’m starting to wonder if that’s about as low of a plane speed I can expect. If so, maybe I’ll stick with the current 4 blade prop. It seems to run really good and seems to keep the bow down pretty well

11. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    Have you tried it without your bait tank full? Maybe that's the extra weight, But then again your bait capacity is amazing!!!

12. Sagedaddy

Sagedaddy Member

Name:
    Sagedaddy
    Boat:
    Riviera fish on
    Nice to see you’re still lurking around, Adam. Usually it’s empty on the ride home and it doesn’t seem to plane out at lower speed.

13. Sagedaddy

Sagedaddy Member

Name:
    Sagedaddy
    Boat:
    Riviera fish on
    Look forward to getting out there again with you, Adam

14. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    I'm like addicted to fishing and this is how I get my fix. Yea I got a week off early March maybe theres some plagics around to chase.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  15. gefiltefish

gefiltefish Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Parker 2120
    I bought my 2120 last year with a newer 2014 yamaha 200 with a permatrim plate. I immediately changed out the motor with a brand new yamaha 200 and west coast marine was adamantly against permatrim too.

The ride and hole shot are way different without the permatrim plate. I can say with direct experience that the permatrim is a gamechanger for the ride quality......But I am scared off of it because of the potential for voiding my warranty.

Also keep in mind that with bait tank or without bait tank I really feel has a big impact on the boats ride....My bait tank is installed pretty far back and I feel that if I were to move it up it would help a lot with the porpoising.

16. Sagedaddy

Sagedaddy Member

Name:
    Sagedaddy
    Boat:
    Riviera fish on
    I have an ‘04 yammy on my 2120 so voiding any warranty is not the issue. My prop guy just seems to really disagree with them and seems to think they are not a safe option. We mounted our baittank as far forward as we could. I don’t seem to notice excessive porpoising and the four blade prop does seem to keep the bow down better. I’m just trying to figure out if there’s a way to get the plane speed down for better performance in chop and swell and conserve some fuel. If 17-18 mph is about the best I can expect then I will happily stick with the current four blade prop.

17. evilkhemist

evilkhemist Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Parker 2510xld
    Have you thought about putting larger trim tabs on (24x12)?

18. Sagedaddy

Sagedaddy Member

Name:
    Sagedaddy
    Boat:
    Riviera fish on
    That could be a good thought. Hadn’t thought of it.

19. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Permatrim. Plane at 14 Knts, better ride holds the bow down. Have had it on my 2120 for 6 years with zero issues.

These boat weren't designed to have 400lbs of water on the back deck in addition to a larger engine. Makes all the difference.

20. soul troller

soul troller HMFIC

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    Parker 2310 For Sale Pursuit 2870
    I have a 2310 with a 250 , a big bait tank and running a 3 blade prop. Bought the Permatrim but am leary to put it on after reading too much on the internet . The good reviews seem to outweigh the bad however.
    Thinking of going to 4 blade before drilling all those holes in the motor.
    I realize this contributes nothing to the thread , but thought i'd chime in anyway.