QUESTION, FISHING LONG RANGE TRIPS FROM PT LOMA

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by rooney, Aug 3, 2013.

1. rooney

rooney Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    25ft Sea Fox, ReelBusy II
    I am finally beginning to give serious consideration to hop on one of these long range trips. granted I know they are for the most part fully booked,etc. I have done a little research and I know there are many options, like the boat , how many days, what time of the year etc. . I would like to go on a 5--7 dayer, load up on meat, hopefully wahoo ,included, variety fish, frankly I am not motivated by catching big 60lb plus species, either. Welcome your input ,suggestions and any thoughts on the subject.

2. iThRoWIroN

iThRoWIroN Newbie

Name:
    AdubM
    Boat:
    "Jungle Love"
    I have heard good things about the Independence, if I was doing a charter of that length I would try the Independence!

3. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

Just a point of consideration; except in rare instances, the minimum length trip to get into wahoo will be 7 days, and 8 days gives you a much better chance.
    As for size of whatever species you encounter, its up to Mother Ocean.

4. rooney

rooney Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    25ft Sea Fox, ReelBusy II
    Thanks guy's, totally understand that mother nature comes into play , however from what I can make out there are certain time of year when they focus more on the 100--200 lb plus fish! That is definitely not the right time for me

5. whammy

whammy Hook Up!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    2200 XL Pathfinder
    you most likely wont hit any 100-200 lb fish on a 5 day unless you guys go to the lupe. Most 5 days fish offshore for tuna and then head into Cedros Island to catch yellows. 7-8 day spring trips go to the rocks or ridge for yellows and tuna up to 100+ lbs and the fall 7-8 day trips hit the same spots but have a chance at some wahoo

6. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    If you are looking for wahoo with a lot of variety and not a lot of time chasing the cow tuna, you should look at a 10 day trip in October. The extra days allow you to get down to the lower banks to get the variety and meat that you are looking for. The cows generally start biting later. Because it is a charter, the charter master (me) gets to have input on what the boat does. I do not like to chase the big fish for days on end, so we do not do much of that. We might spend 3/4 of a day putting our time in looking, but we are out of there very quickly looking for our favorite fish, Wahoo!

With that being said, I charter the Vagabond for 10 days every year. It is a limited load of 16 guys and gals and we go down and have a great time with Mike Lackey at the wheel. I had a couple of spots open up on my normally full trip this year and am looking to fill it up again. If you are interested on jumping on a family style long range trip, send me a pm and we can get a conversation started.