Question about trailering your boat into Mexico

mochosla

Sep 12, 2007
Granada Hills CA.
Name
Carlos
Boat
Parker 2120
Hello. Question for you guy. I have my permit to enter Mexican waters in my boat. What if I decide to trailer it to Ensenada? Do I need a permit for my trailer? I mean, it is part of the free zone as cars do not need a permit to enter and travel through that area.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
Trailer registration and they check the vin number to match your papers , it`s easy

Upvote 0

blowncar

Sep 8, 2013
Ocean Shores Washington/Mexico waters
Name
james
Boat
52' Hatteras C Lobos Del Mar
If you are over 14ft (boat) then you'll need a TIP (temp import permit) which you can get online (banjercito.com.mex) for about $58. It's good for 10 years and you don't have to turn it back in when you leave so you can travel back and forth easily. All marinas require it if you launch from their ramps. Trailer just needs to be currently registered and you'll have to have a copy on you.

Also you'll 100% need a mexican liability insurance policy. Don't let others tell you differently. Mexico doesn't "recognize" US policies even though your US policy is in force and they would most likely cover you as long as you aren't too far south, usually 15 miles south of Ensenada.

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
If you are over 14ft (boat) then you'll need a TIP (temp import permit) which you can get online (banjercito.com.mex) for about $58. It's good for 10 years and you don't have to turn it back in when you leave so you can travel back and forth easily. All marinas require it if you launch from their ramps. Trailer just needs to be currently registered and you'll have to have a copy on you.

Also you'll 100% need a mexican liability insurance policy. Don't let others tell you differently. Mexico doesn't "recognize" US policies even though your US policy is in force and they would most likely cover you as long as you aren't too far south, usually 15 miles south of Ensenada.
To augment and clarify.

When you buy your truck insurance you need to add the trailer to tow thru Mexico. You will need your FMM. You will need the TIP to launch at a Mexican marina. Technically you do not need a TIP for your boat to cross the US border, but just get it.

Make two copies of all you US docs. You will need the originals also. Title, registration.
Get the TIP before you cross or you will have some skinny bowlegged bitch up your ass that hates gringos... but I digress.

If you cross SY, stay right and expect it to take 3 times as long as you have patience for. If it takes less, consider yourself lucky.

Call the marina and reserve a slip. Try not to say "really?!" when they quote the price or it will go up 10%.

Now here's the kicker, some marinas, not all will happily take your $100 a day for slip rental, but do not offer trailer storage...

Viva Mexico

Upvote 0

mochosla

Sep 12, 2007
Granada Hills CA.
Name
Carlos
Boat
Parker 2120
To augment and clarify.

When you buy your truck insurance you need to add the trailer to tow thru Mexico. You will need your FMM. You will need the TIP to launch at a Mexican marina. Technically you do not need a TIP for your boat to cross the US border, but just get it.

Make two copies of all you US docs. You will need the originals also. Title, registration.
Get the TIP before you cross or you will have some skinny bowlegged bitch up your ass that hates gringos... but I digress.

If you cross SY, stay right and expect it to take 3 times as long as you have patience for. If it takes less, consider yourself lucky.

Call the marina and reserve a slip. Try not to say "really?!" when they quote the price or it will go up 10%.

Now here's the kicker, some marinas, not all will happily take your $100 a day for slip rental, but do not offer trailer storage...

Viva Mexico

Got it. I have dual citizenship so I believe I only need the TIP for the boat and trailer along with insurance and fishing license. When I went to get the TIP for the boat in TJ, it was a simple and quick process. I should’ve gotten the one for the trailer as well 🤬

Thank you.

And yes, viva México!!

Reactions: aguachico
Upvote 0