Question about hoos..

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by fishkilr, Aug 8, 2016.

1. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    I've caught a few hoo in the past in cabo,Hawaii,a couple 10 day trips when I used to go on longer trips and never in my experience have I seen wahoo jump after being hooked..
    There is a thread in the inshore fishing forum where a guy claims to have hooked a hoo on a dropper loop and squid fishing the Newport pipe that claims went airborne several times before busting off..
    Just curious if any of you serious long range guys who have caught and also have seen caught hundreds of wahoo in the past have seen them go airborne after hangin em..

2. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    seen them jump over the rail, seen them jump over the wake to land on a marauder, even seen them come out of the water to eat a bomb before it hit the water...never seen one come all the way out after it was hooked. Skeptical, at best...

backlashjack likes this.
  3. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    I have seen the same high flying antics like no other fish but not after being hooked... Thanks

backlashjack likes this.
  4. Second Row

Second Row You Should Have Been Here Yesterday

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
    most likely a baby t
    [​IMG]

Vanilla_Gorilla95 likes this.
  5. Outhouse

Outhouse I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon Scobey
    Boat:
    Titanic
    My first ever wahoo came out of the water within 10' of the boat to pounce on my sardine. He almost caught it before the bait hit the water. I nearly pissed myself. All I remember beyond that was the whole boat screaming "WIND" as most everyone saw it.

6. pgangler

pgangler 12Wt

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    Was Cabo35, now RR3
    Yep. Had one go across the stern, and up the side of the boat in 3 secs - then jump 6' up and spit my bomb back at me.

7. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    As fast and athletic as they are especially their initial run I can see by pullin on one next to the boat it can be angled to come out of the water like that..
    But what I'm curious about is if anyone has seen em jump after being hooked the way a dodo or largemouth or mako does ...or like they do when they are not hooked ...
    I'm pretty sure it's happened but it's gotta be rare ...

8. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    I'm with you on the rare...we put 600+ on the Q in late October '87 on a Newell charter in 2.5 days...and I was on many other Newell trips targeting wahoo back then with counts from 150 to 220 for the boat, and so I'm gonna guess and say I've seen maybe 1500 caught with no jumpers. But I will admit, I always wondered why ;)

9. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Their escape plan involves speed and teeth ...

10. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Never seen one go airborne after being hooked, but I'm sure stranger things have happened.
    I've seen one grab a bomb that was wound up and hanging off the stern for a few seconds (like the deckies tell you to do) and fly over the corner (and 3 other lines). It was a pretty spectacular sight - I was just a couple feet away.

11. Tim Turis

Tim Turis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tim Turis
    Boat:
    n/a
    I'm not sure that they actually jumped (like a marlin/sailfish), but I have seen at least three wahoo get "airborne" after being hooked:

One was on a popper at the end of a trolling stop. It went right over the heads of three or four people leaning against the rail and it had the popper in it's mouth like a dog with a bone. Pretty cool!

One was on a jig that was 10-15' in the air and again it was holding the jig like a dog with a bone. The fish hit the side of the boat just below the wooden rail and came off.

The last one was on the troll that ate a Marauder about 20' from the stern as the Marauder was being wound in.

I don't think any of these fish acually jumped, but rather their speed and trajectory took them out of the water after they bit.

vegasandre likes this.
  12. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    The post you're referring to also said the fish was huge, at least 3 feet long. That would be a tiny wahoo.

13. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    even rarer still to catch one on a dropper loop w/ 17# line. ;)
    But I aint gonna be the one to say that a fish aint gonna do what fish is gonna do. I've seen (and caught) fish that have made liars out of the internet "experts"

14. BarneyGumble

BarneyGumble Hey Now!!

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    Never-prefer to leave the hard work to the professionals!
    Clarion Island Dcember 2013 on the beautiful Intrepid. Hooked (and landed) a 38 pound wahoo on a gold and pink raider. Made a quick run up the port rail, came completely out of the water, flopped on his side, then gave up. It happens. I did it!!

15. Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral Holi-e-Mackeral

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    I would bet that the fish that jumped was not a wahoo but a needle fish.. they do jump and have been caught in our local waters over the last 2 warm water years... It would be easy to confuse the two

Tight lines,

Jeff

16. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Now that is a real possibility as we have had giant needlefish in Del Rey for many years... They are greenish in color but do like to fly after hookin em..mullets also that get big and jump like crazy but rarely get hooked...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  17. ShadBurke

ShadBurke I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Shad Burke
    Boat:
    22' Boston Whaler Guardians
    Ive seen them attack the bait fished from the big helium balloon, cutting the bait in half and have the remaining half go 15ft airborne from the balloon only to have another wahoo chase it airborne and hook itself.

Clarion with Cates on the RR3.