Question about an engine swap (no fuel getting to carb)

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Yep I have an engineering degree but it doesn't do me much good in this instance...and thank you, I appreciate the offer, anyone who know me, knows I don't like inconveniencing anyone. I talked one of my older teens into going down there with me tomorrow to see if we can clean it out. I need a long brush with an angle (not sure they even make those). I have the alternator off which gives me only slightly more room.

Thanks again Max, and thanks to everyone for their insight on this, if you saw some of the 100 or so emails back and forth before I even picked my boat up, you would know my frustration..pretty pathetic how this guy did it like this..I know he specializes in fast river boats and my boat is just an old fishing boat but my money is just as green as anyone else and I guess you can't even pay someone to take pride in what they do. I hope it's safe to take out on the water, at this point, that is my biggest concern...I'll take it for a good long test run before I take my young kids out in it, that is for sure...he left me with a mess.
Deb try using brake cleaner on a rag its great on grease ' one of my friend is a car mechanic and he uses that stuff alot

Reactions: lynndeva
Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
Yep I have an engineering degree in design (not mechanical) but it doesn't do me much good in this instance...and thank you, I appreciate the offer, anyone who know me, knows I don't like inconveniencing anyone. I talked one of my older teens into going down there with me tomorrow to see if we can clean it out. I need a long brush with an angle (not sure they even make those). I have the alternator off which gives me only slightly more room.

Thanks again Max, and thanks to everyone for their insight on this, if you saw some of the 100 or so emails back and forth before I even picked my boat up, you would know my frustration..pretty pathetic how this guy did it like this..I know he specializes in fast river boats and my boat is just an old fishing boat but my money is just as green as anyone else and I guess you can't even pay someone to take pride in what they do. I hope it's safe to take out on the water, at this point, that is my biggest concern...I'll take it for a good long test run before I take my young kids out in it, that is for sure...he left me with a mess.

Deb,

Inconvenience? We just want to see your posts of you putting your kids on fish..

BTW, we help each other out when we can...
Hope to see you on the water soon.

Reactions: Carl and lynndeva
Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
You most definitely need to leave a review on yelp.Let people know that you got charged for work that was never done and to steer clear from this rip off shop.
I get really pissed off just reading about these fuckin crooked ass POS,s.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
go to home depot and get one of these type sprayer

http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/hudson.html

then get some of this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16778257?...39618992&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78652671272&veh=sem

home depot may have it also, for me best price at walmart

mix as directed and with the wand you can get into those hard to reach areas. let it soak til dry, and spray agian. rinse and repeat until its clean. once its clean wash out the sprayer and save it. i fill mine with salt away mixture for cleaning engine/ bilge after a trip.
works very well.

Upvote 0

Mar 12, 2014
San Diego
Name
Blake
Boat
25' Skipjack FB
Has the POS been named yet? For the prices we pay to have work done you'd think SOMEBODY would get the idea to charge a reasonable price for good service.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
go to home depot and get one of these type sprayer

http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/hudson.html

then get some of this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16778257?...39618992&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78652671272&veh=sem

home depot may have it also, for me best price at walmart

mix as directed and with the wand you can get into those hard to reach areas. let it soak til dry, and spray again. rinse and repeat until its clean. once its clean wash out the sprayer and save it. i fill mine with salt away mixture for cleaning engine/ bilge after a trip.
works very well.

I have one of those sprayers in my shed. I'll got get a gallon of that stuff and try it. I can't believe all the degreaser I sprayed around in there hardly touched it.

I'm going to try the brake cleaner too.

Upvote 0

OTHGV

Jun 7, 2011
Fresyes, ca
Name
Bill
Boat
Whale Watcher boat ho!
Easiest way to clean out the bilge.....
Go to marine shop and buy bilge grime cleaner. Or use a scoop of Tide laundry detergent. It does miracles. Put water in the bilge, drive to marina allowing it to slosh around. Drive for a while in the ocean letting it slosh around and pump it out. You may have to repeat but it works great..... Lowes has a nozzle for your hose called a sweep nozzle. The same nozzle used for filing water balloons. It blasts the grime away too!
FYI, marine fuel parts dump the "overflow" or "leak by" into the engine to be burned. That's the difference. Electrical parts have more insulation to prevent a short circuit.
Glad you got it running. Keep the bulb in the boat. You can install it and pump the bulb if the fuel pump dies. Been there.....

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Deb are you using hot water while cleaning this stuff?

you have to be selective about what you are using it on because it will take the paint off the block for example, but the best parts cleaner i have used is easy off oven cleaner. Tide and dawn are real good on grease too... but no matter what you use you really need hot water. I know what your saying... yeah where am I supposed to get hot water from? right? I have a couple of insta-hots I think one is 3 gal and the other is 5 ..... they are electric... they are used under sinks that are a long way from the hot water heater so you can get insta-hot water when you turn the water on. really with out hot water cleaning grease and oil is dam near impossible.... or takes forever would be more realistic.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
Deb are you using hot water while cleaning this stuff?

you have to be selective about what you are using it on because it will take the paint off the block for example, but the best parts cleaner i have used is easy off oven cleaner. Tide and dawn are real good on grease too... but no matter what you use you really need hot water. I know what your saying... yeah where am I supposed to get hot water from? right? I have a couple of insta-hots I think one is 3 gal and the other is 5 ..... they are electric... they are used under sinks that are a long way from the hot water heater so you can get insta-hot water when you turn the water on. really with out hot water cleaning grease and oil is dam near impossible.... or takes forever would be more realistic.

Never thought about oven cleaner, and no not hot water but I will. I'm going to try and clean it without getting anything on the engine (or starter, been there done that with the starter getting wet) I don't live very far from the marina...I'm going to heat a bunch of water up and run down there.
thanks!

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Never thought about oven cleaner, and no not hot water but I will. I'm going to try and clean it without getting anything on the engine (or starter, been there done that with the starter getting wet) I don't live very far from the marina...I'm going to heat a bunch of water up and run down there.
thanks!
You better drive there if you run down there, the water may be cold by the time you get there , plus its heavy to carry...LOL

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
Deb if you get anything electrical wet it isn't going to kill it if it isn't powered up at the time, blowing it off...hair dryer, heat gun, leaf blower, even let it sit for a while... spray it with wd40
that is what it is for Water Displacement formula #40 people use it for a lubricant but it is the worst for that

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
dam Gary is a real fart smeller.. I mean smart feller

any hot water will work better than the cold, but if you have it with a little pressure behind it and a sweeper nossel it will work the best. use it with your sprayer so you can get a little pressure with it

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Deb if you get anything electrical wet it isn't going to kill it if it isn't powered up at the time,

anything in the bilge had better be able to take a good "wetting" when "powered up".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

one more time: small claims court. even if you lose, you wouldnt have spent as much time there as you have in this thread to get nowhere. ;)

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
upload_2015-3-27_7-18-20.jpeg
upload_2015-3-27_7-18-20.jpeg

if you have access to your water heater at your house you can hook a hose directly to it and have lots of hot water. do not do this with a cheap hose!!! get a REAL RUBBER HOSE for this. and be careful, this is 100% hot water, not mixing with cold. HOT WATER WILL DEFINITELY SPEED UP THIS PROCESS.

Reactions: OTHGV
Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
anything in the bilge had better be able to take a good "wetting" when "powered up".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

one more time: small claims court. even if you lose, you wouldnt have spent as much time there as you have in this thread to get nowhere. ;)
I would hope so but the way things are going after this engine swap, I'm not in the trusting mood right now.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
View attachment 579262View attachment 579262

if you have access to your water heater at your house you can hook a hose directly to it and have lots of hot water. do not do this with a cheap hose!!! get a REAL RUBBER HOSE for this. and be careful, this is 100% hot water, not mixing with cold. HOT WATER WILL DEFINITELY SPEED UP THIS PROCESS.
but be carful on a old water heater some times the don't shut off good after

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
Don't use the hose bib on the hot water..... it is intended for draining the tank and/or draining the settiment out of the tank but most importanly you will get low pressure out it... right next to it should be washer and dryer hook ups...use the hot water supply for the washing machine, then you will have some pressure

Last edited:
Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Im surprised no one has mentiond simple green for a degreaser.It works great with hot water and wont harm any paint around the engine.Hey George my hot water heater has excellent pressure at the hose bib.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
I'm hoping you go after that asshat.. as you totally over paid that POS for what he done for you... he prays on nice people like your self and someone needs to stop him for taking advantage of good people and their hard earned dollars... I hope you took pictures of how he did not take care of your boat while he had it for that long time.. he deserves to be punished for his mis doing .

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
Don't use the hose bib on the hot water..... it is intended for draining the tank and/or draining the settiment out of the tank but most importanly you will get no pressure out it... right next to it should be washer and dryer hook ups...use the hot water supply for the washing machine, then you will have some pressure

agreed it could leak afterward, but they say you should operate it once a year along with the pressure relief valve. as far as pressure goes it should have the same pressure as the rest of the house. its all part of the same system. unless the tank is full of sediment blocking flow, in which case opening the valve should be helpful.

Reactions: Bondrvr
Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
Im surprised no one has mentiond simple green for a degreaser.It works great with hot water and wont harm any paint around the engine.Hey George my hot water heater has excellent pressure at the hose bib.

hey Jim.... if it does then the rest of your valves must have super excellent pressure.

if you have a washer and dryer set up, and you should... it will be next to the hot water heater, compare the pressure from it and then from the hot water heater. they always use the water hose scenario when describing electricity the 3/4 hose is like amps, it carries volume and a 1/2" hose is like volts, it carries more pressure. or if you are going to run an air tool, to bump up the pressure people will run a 3/8 line to carry the most volume then drop it down to 1/4" to get more pressure. the valve for the washer should have more pressure than the other one... that has been the case with every one I have ever messed with... in fact I used to go off the hot water heater until I discovered that. something else to consider, a lot of these .valves on the heater are not brass, they are plastic. I could be wrong, but I don't know if they were ever really intended to run hot water through, they are in there to drain the tank.
I guess I better go with the cya rule.. that's what I was told by a plumber and I am not a plumber, I am a professional fun haver.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
you should never open the P&T valve... who told you that? You know what that valve is for right? they will usually leak after they are opened. The valve is supposed to remove steam so the thing won't blow up

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
Feb 12, 2010
Chula Vista
Name
mike
Boat
'99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
hey Jim.... if it does then the rest of your valves must have super excellent pressure.

if you have a washer and dryer set up, and you should... it will be next to the hot water heater, compare the pressure from it and then from the hot water heater. they always use the water hose scenario when describing electricity the 3/4 hose is like amps, it carries volume and a 1/2" hose is like volts, it carries more pressure. or if you are going to run an air tool, to bump up the pressure people will run a 3/8 line to carry the most volume then drop it down to 1/4" to get more pressure. the valve for the washer should have more pressure than the other one... that has been the case with every one I have ever messed with... in fact I used to go off the hot water heater until I discovered that. something else to consider, a lot of these .valves on the heater are not brass, they are plastic. I could be wrong, but I don't know if they were ever really intended to run hot water through, they are in there to drain the tank.
I guess I better go with the cya rule.. that's what I was told by a plumber and I am not a plumber, I am a professional fun haver.
Pressure equalizes through out the entire system: a3/4" will provide much more volume at an equal pressure compared to 1/2".
Yes, it can be explained like electricity. Diameter is like volts, flow is like amps. Smaller diameter requires higher flow rate to equal a larger diameters volume.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
Upvote 0