Question about an engine swap (no fuel getting to carb)

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
need to be some sort of contortionist to clean it.

so now back to being a contortionist and try to switch out the old pump with a new one myself.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/gs-marine-norco

Wait, what's that old BD saying??

Oh yeah.... BS without pics LOL ;)

On a serious note....... good luck D...... hope you get this all squared away before summer!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
I'm not sure?

if you can find out if he licensed by Bar
He has to give you a written estimate, and anytime the cost goes over the written estimate he has to call and get it approved, also he has to itemize both estimate and the invoice . and if he didn't you have a right to all your money back..also if he did not take care of your property as in your boat and give it back in the same condition or better than he received it you may have course for more action...
I would check with the bar if they have to be licensed.. and or you may have actions in small clams court for condition your boat was returned.. and for the damage...

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
if you can find out if he licensed by Bar
He has to give you a written estimate, and anytime the cost goes over the written estimate he has to call and get it approved, also he has to itemize both estimate and the invoice . and if he didn't you have a right to all your money back..also if he did not take care of your property as in your boat and give it back in the same condition or better than he received it you may have course for more action...
I would check with the bar if they have to be licensed.. and or you may have actions in small clams court for condition your boat was returned.. and for the damage...

I was told buy a man when I dropped the boat off that I'd get an estimate that it was about a 8-9 hour job @$90 per hour and that if anything major needed to be done, that he'd let me know. I brought some of this up to him (and I saved all the emails) his story is, that he wasn't there when I dropped the boat off, that one of his employees was and gave me wrong info so none of this matters...I told him it didn't matter if it was one of his employees, this is what I was told and he should have stood by this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
Hey Deb.......... I bet this bastard steels fishing rods from the landing parking lots too...... Haha! he is gonna be so sorry he dipped your credit card.....

"My hands are all torn up right now from scrubbing, cleaning it, working on trying to get it going etc..not to mention, I have smelled like gas for 4 days straight now..:1041677399:"

I am shocked that none of us sex offenders here on BD isn't stalking you...........

You can't even trust "Angie's List"......... I think Gonzo's post is right on.... ya find someone you trust and stick with them.....

Sorry you got worked by that asshat...

Reactions: lynndeva
Upvote 0

sbsurfer

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
Did you pay with a credit card? Some carriers will be able to backcharge the mechanic for not delivering goods/services as promised, then they have to prove you and the CC company wrong...I know AmEx does this and have used it before.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
Did you pay with a credit card? Some carriers will be able to backcharge the mechanic for not delivering goods/services as promised, then they have to prove you and the CC company wrong...I know AmEx does this and have used it before.
Yes I paid by Citibank credit card.. Not sure if it's worth even pursuing.. I would rather just take it as a lesson learned at this point and move on along with putting the info out there for anyone who wants it.

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
Feb 12, 2010
Chula Vista
Name
mike
Boat
'99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
I'm all in for the boat clean up party.......:-)

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
did you verify that your fuel pump and carb are for marine use. there will be 2 hoses or lines between the pump and carb.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I'd be all over this guy, sounds like you paid 4k and ended up with 4k in damages. Not too sure when stuff like this became common in the marine industry but it sucks for sure. Wish they had more regulation, or at least some morals!

Reactions: lynndeva and gecsr1
Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
I'd be all over this guy, sounds like you paid 4k and ended up with 4k in damages. Not too sure when stuff like this became common in the marine industry but it sucks for sure. Wish they had more regulation, or at least some morals!

Not sure what can be done?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
I removed the old alternator this morning and while it was off I got a better look at the bilge pump and it was pretty clogged up, so I cleaned it and I'll test it out before I put the replacement alt. on.

So the replacement Alt. that I had is not compatible with my engine/bracket and the 2 places I went does not carry them. I found a new one online for $87. It's not exact but it says it replaces mine which is a prestolite ALK 6210-3B, however my original prestolite has 3 wires, a purple, orange and red and the new one I found online is a single wire.. So will this work?

Nice muddy engine compartment Huh? And this was after 4 soakings of engine degreaser and wiping it out in between.. I just can't get to it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
Reactions: gecsr1
Upvote 0

PaDDy Killer'

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 9, 2008
Santa Clarita
Name
Patrick
Boat
Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
Check the pickup tube on the tank. I know the hose will rot out over time.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
That mechanic needs his ass kicked,nothing else to be said......

He is way beyond that, lots of people hate this guy, I think it is dumpster time. all it will take is for him to do this to the wrong person, it's just a matter of time

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
How does a guy like this live with himself? I'm sure he's caused plenty of close calls for people that don't check his handy work before launching.

I agree that if he messes with the wrong guy he will get his ass kicked at the very least.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
How does a guy like this live with himself? I'm sure he's caused plenty of close calls for people that don't check his handy work before launching.

I agree that if he messes with the wrong guy he will get his ass kicked at the very least.

Funny cause I had that guy replace the wear ring in my jet boat some 20+ years ago with no problems. After what he did in this thread and looking at a google search on him I'm surprised someone hasn't knocked him around already.

If I were in Debi heels I would dispute the charges with my CC company if possible. At least for the difference of the hourly labor charge that was billed VS what was quoted.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
View attachment 578677

This was the fuel filter I pulled out of the carb yesterday, black with gunk, filled with junk, rusted to the inside of the housing...I needed pliers to pry it out.

View attachment 578687
Proof positive NOT,I repeat NOT rebuilt!The proof is in the pudding.Charging for work that was NEVER done...MAJOR rip off shop....fuck this guy and his business.

Last edited:
Reactions: OTHGV and lynndeva
Upvote 0

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
Apr 9, 2007
San Diego, CA.
Name
Max
Boat
Trophy Pro, @-EZ
Good grief. Deb, do you have a high pressure washer?

I suspect you have an engineering degree.

Where is your boat located ? I have the next 3 days off.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
Good grief. Deb, do you have a high pressure washer?

I suspect you have an engineering degree.

Where is your boat located ? I have the next 3 days off.

Yep I have an engineering degree but it doesn't do me much good in this instance...and thank you, I appreciate the offer, anyone who knows me, knows I don't like inconveniencing anyone. I talked one of my older teens into going down there with me tomorrow to see if we can clean it out. I need a long brush with an angle (not sure they even make those). I have the alternator off which gives me only slightly more room.

Thanks again Max, and thanks to everyone for their insight on this, if you saw some of the 100 or so emails back and forth before I even picked my boat up, you would know my frustration..pretty pathetic how this guy did it like this..I know he specializes in fast river boats and my boat is just an old fishing boat but my money is just as green as anyone else and I guess you can't even pay someone to take pride in what they do. I hope it's safe to take out on the water, at this point, that is my biggest concern...I'll take it for a good long test run before I take my young kids out in it, that is for sure...he left me with a mess.

Last edited:
Upvote 0