Question about a simple Tuna troll spread.

Wild Bill

Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Oh I have been slipping down it for awhile but as long as I have friends in albie places I will resist the full on conversion at least until I retire.

tunafin

I've been fishing since Noah built the Arc.
Jan 2, 2005
Cojo Jalama / Pt Conception
Name
Jeff .......
Boat
Anal Glaucoma (I cant see my ass going to work)
Run a meat line off the rear tie down on each side. Just your basic boat line. Parachute chord about 25-30', 2 rubber bungees, 1 1/2 lb torpedo or heavy chain, 500lb barrel swivel, and 10-15' of 200lb test and a 7/0 double hook to a feather. I run 1 purple and black and green and yellow on the other. Chain sinks it down well below surface so no tangles. If you stop it can sink, clear it when you can or before you take off again. it always gets bit, you gotta have eyes on it when bungee loads up and straightens out the loop. Then run 2 corner rods at 35' and 2 center at 50'.

Wild Bill

Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
So I have most of my gear sorted out and it is either here or on its way. I have 8 clones 4 pink/ white and 4 black/ purple, 2 jetheads for the corner meatlines and a couple cedar plugs. How short should I rig the meat lines on both edges? I have seen recommendations from 25-65’. I was thinking maybe 50’ for meatlines with jetheads and 65’ for center and forward side rods if running clones on all of them.If I put a cedar down the center maybe back another 10-15’ on it. What say you?

RUNNOFT

Word of the Day: IceMelter
May 13, 2003
Orange County Kali
Name
OT - the Other Travis
Boat
Professional Boat Ho for now
Steve - fish in a W pattern, just like we did last year. Meatlines should be short on the corners just on the edge of the prop wash (this was the xraps on Chucka's Parka. The outside lines should be around the 3rd-4th wake which will be ~10'-15' past your meatlines. Then run the shotgun longer past all of them in the clear water. Cedar plug or swim bait kills them on the shotgun.

Reactions: TwoTapPat

Wild Bill

Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
So 50’ is too long for meatlines? Trying to visualize where my propwash would subside and I am guessing 20-30’ ?

Jun 7, 2016
Lincoln CA
Name
Andrew
Boat
Steiger Craft 23dv Miami " Sofia Alexis"
Distance depends on your boat. I have an outboard so I run
60' meatlines
85' out the corners and shotgun
110' out the sides
If I know I'm in fish but not getting bit I'll bring everything closer into more turbulent water

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
If you run them all close, you may come back empty handed. If you run them all too far back, you may come back empty handed. I’ve had days where they needed to be near the boat and other days where they needed to be way back. Be flexible, adjust if you’re not getting bit. You’d be fooling to just set your gear, leave it, and drive around for hours and hours...

And, trolling sucks :).

Wild Bill

Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Lol, sounds like different length 200# mono top shots are in order for Meatlines. Or, on second thought; maybe several different loops in tuna cord to anchor to cleats to vary length. I fear I am getting too close to that slippery slope!

Reactions: Grady226

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
Keep the mono short. It’s a bitch to hand pull mono without burning your hands. A couple loops in the tuna cord will be easier.

Emzbuddy

Is a Yacht in my future? Why Knot!
Mar 13, 2008
Bothell, WA
Name
Doug
Boat
Defiance 250 (Doris Ann), Wellcraft 26 (Doug Out, Whaler 16 SL (Bull Pen) Livingston 8 (Short Stop)
next trip I'll be running (4) of these, various colors - 45-60 feet back.
Was my top producer WTC week, by a huge ratio.
upload_2019-8-16_11-45-32.png

Ragin Cajun

There's no better place than on the water!
Apr 17, 2014
Port Orchard
Name
Pete
Boat
Defiance Admiral 270,
Distance depends on your boat. I have an outboard so I run
60' meatlines
85' out the corners and shotgun
110' out the sides
If I know I'm in fish but not getting bit I'll bring everything closer into more turbulent water
We ran this similar setup with all the same color clones and a cedar plug down the middle. 6.5-7 knot seemed to work the best. Doubles,triples and several quad hookups over the 4 days we fished tuna. I put some fly fishing backing on my braid with those distances so they would be easy set every time. Worked great.