muledeer07

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 30, 2008
USA
Name
Wade
Boat
None
Had no idea how to word this but hopefully somebody will recognize this issue and it will be an easy fix. Probably something simple I should have caught myself, but for the life of me I can't figure this out. Just bought the reel, took it out this last weekend running and gunning for shy yellowtail, Never got a look so I'll leave it at that. I filled the reel with 310yds of 50 braid. With a 4' top shot of 40 fc. And yes I put tape on the spool before the braid. I set the drag that morning and after about an hour of running and gunning casting to breaking fish. I just happened to check it. It had loosened considerably. Didn't think anything of it. Tightened it back up set and went back to casting jigs. After about half an hour checked it again. Once again it had loosened. Now I'm concerned, took the cap off made sure the spool was seated properly and tightened it back up. Made about 30 casts and again loosened. Never once pulled on that drag, just casting and reeling??????? Someone please tell me what I missed. Sent and Email to Quantum this morning but as of yet no reply. So thought I'd come to the experts. Overall opinion of the reel, regardless if this problem had occurred or not. Smooth as silk great drag, casts great, line lays well on the spool. Have yet to pull on anything so I'll post that when it happens. Overall I wouldn't put it in the same class as my original model Saragosa 14000.

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Does it make good drag when you tighten it down?

Usually there is a spring that helps keep it tight under the cap. Make sure its there by looking up inside it.

Try greasing the seal on the drag cap so that it keeps out water but also slides well. They have to be kept moist to work right.

muledeer07

Jun 30, 2008
USA
Name
Wade
Boat
None
Thank you John so much. I'll look tonight for the spring. Underneath the cap is a rubber saucer seal that gets pressed down when your tightening the cap down. The drag sets well. It seemed to hold drag as well. After filling it up with braid I took it out front and set the drag and walked off a hundred yards. Then untied it wound it back in with the wetted rag and pressure to make sure there wasn't any twist in the line. But the spring has to be it. I did the same thing last night and reeled back a 100 yards of line watching the orientation of the cap to see if it moved even a little. Never moved and the drag was still at the same setting. We shall see. Thanks again for sharing your wealth of knowledge sir.

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Thank you John so much. I'll look tonight for the spring. Underneath the cap is a rubber saucer seal that gets pressed down when your tightening the cap down. The drag sets well. It seemed to hold drag as well. After filling it up with braid I took it out front and set the drag and walked off a hundred yards. Then untied it wound it back in with the wetted rag and pressure to make sure there wasn't any twist in the line. But the spring has to be it. I did the same thing last night and reeled back a 100 yards of line watching the orientation of the cap to see if it moved even a little. Never moved and the drag was still at the same setting. We shall see. Thanks again for sharing your wealth of knowledge sir.
Yea, the spring is to keep it tight when the reel is riding in the holder or between fish. Somehow it may have gotten jammed up and wasn't doing it's job or wasn't assembled right.

The seal, if sticky, can stick to the spool and then tighten when fighting a fish at very light drag settings.

muledeer07

Jun 30, 2008
USA
Name
Wade
Boat
None
Well I inspected it last night very closely, The spring is definitely in the housing, So I guess I'll call quantum and see what they say. I have a good friend that just bought the 120, I think I'm gonna take a ride down to San Diego and look at one at a shop and compare. Other than that I guess its take it back out and keep a really close eye on it. I leave on a 2 1/2 day Friday July 4th, so at least I got some time to work this out. Thank you very much for your help John.