Quandary: what am I going to do with all the fish I catch?

Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
Mar 2, 2010
SoCal
Name
Rocket Dog
Boat
passenger again
I am sure there is a lot of demand here from guys that can't get out for several reasons would be happy to take any fin... But you got to get them first... Any YFT, I would be bay to take. It cooks up.the best in my opinion.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Even in the commie state of Ca, I don't think they can stop horse trading between friends. It should be like Alaska where you can sell your sport caught fish.
It is illegal to sell sport caught fish in Alaska. If you don't believe me I can have a Trooper talk with whoever told you that BS. You can however share your catch as you see fit. And Subsistence harvest can be sold under some conditions.

Sale of sport-caught fish unlawful:
No person may buy, sell, or barter sport-caught fish or their parts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

strackle99

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
Even in the commie state of Ca, I don't think they can stop horse trading between friends. It should be like Alaska where you can sell your sport caught fish.
If you could sell sport caught fish in CA, there would be a TON more pressure.

Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
You may be thinking of Hawaii, were that is true. But as previous posters have said its not true for AK

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
I keep coming back to this hoping that we’ll get to hear about how it went for the OP. How was the fishing, processing, shipping, etc.?

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    @Bryantttt
    Always defrost in the refrigerator if possible. If you want it quick, put it in a bowl with cold tap water, put it in your sink and turn the sink on so that it’s dripping into the bowl (overfilling and draining down the sink). This will defrost the meat in less than 30 mins.
    SOUS VIDE ??
    Here is another way -- you can Sous Vide some species of the frozen fish.
    Keep them frozen, keep in processor bag, set the desired final temp, place in the Sous Vide container, start, and go read the newspaper for a few minutes or prep your condiments.
    I do STRONGLY recommend quick browing in a pan with olive oil and seasoning before eationg/serving.
    I discovered this after I bought some tuna burgers from the processor and they were mush when fully thawed, -- with SV they come out done and ready to season. I have done this with Wahoo and Yellowtail with grest success.....don't over cook or it all get s tough.
    I like my tuna raw or pink so I don't SV the tuna steaks/loins .....
    OTHER THOUGHTS ?

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    N/A :(
    SOUS VIDE ??
    Here is another way -- you can Sous Vide some species of the frozen fish.
    Keep them frozen, keep in processor bag, set the desired final temp, place in the Sous Vide container, start, and go read the newspaper for a few minutes or prep your condiments.
    I do STRONGLY recommend quick browing in a pan with olive oil and seasoning before eationg/serving.
    I discovered this after I bought some tuna burgers from the processor and they were mush when fully thawed, -- with SV they come out done and ready to season. I have done this with Wahoo and Yellowtail with grest success.....don't over cook or it all get s tough.
    I like my tuna raw or pink so I don't SV the tuna steaks/loins .....
    OTHER THOUGHTS ?
    I’ve used water circulators for probably 15 years or so and they are great for cooking white fish. As you stated, they aren’t great for tuna if you like your tuna rare. Furthermore, I wouldn’t use a sous vide machine to defrost anything I was not intending to cook in the machine. It’s more work setting up than just letting water do the trick in the sink.

Also, one other comment, I would avoid using olive oil for searing. It’s smoke point is too low to act as a good oil for sautéing or searing (unless you are using light olive oil but that stuff has been treated with chemical solvents…I’ll pass). If you care about the oil’s health attributes use avocado oil as it’s smoke point is over 500 degrees and is good for your ticker.

Upvote 0

JTE

Nov 20, 2017
    Florida
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    18' Grizzly
    I'm the OP. Have 135lbs of yellowfin, wahoo and yellowtail coming in to MCO on Southwest AirCargo this evening (hopefully). 5 Star processed and shipped it. I'll post again and let you know what condition the fish was in when it arrived. Had a good time on the trip - totally different experience to what I'm used to - I'll report/comment on this separately. JTE

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    I’ve used water circulators for probably 15 years or so and they are great for cooking white fish. As you stated, they aren’t great for tuna if you like your tuna rare. Furthermore, I wouldn’t use a sous vide machine to defrost anything I was not intending to cook in the machine. It’s more work setting up than just letting water do the trick in the sink.

Also, one other comment, I would avoid using olive oil for searing. It’s smoke point is too low to act as a good oil for sautéing or searing (unless you are using light olive oil but that stuff has been treated with chemical solvents…I’ll pass). If you care about the oil’s health attributes use avocado oil as it’s smoke point is over 500 degrees and is good for your ticker.
    i will try Avacodo oil. tks

Upvote 0

JTE

Nov 20, 2017
    Florida
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    18' Grizzly
    Picked up the fish at MCO - arrived in great condition, frozen solid in vacuum packed, meal size bags. Wife is ecstatic. We'll be eating well for Christmas and well beyond. Cost per pound =~$5.85 (135lbs, $600 for processing and 3 boxes to ship, $190 for shipping). Note, costs do not include the fishing trip, air fare there & back, hotel, etc.

I could have shipped back more fish. I shipped back all that I caught, but others (who had caught considerably more) offered fish to me that i did not take. Figure wife and I, who love eating good fish, 3lbs a week, plus a dinner party or 2, will take about 8 -10 months to consume what I shipped back. I want to eat it before it freezer burns.

Once we eat it up, good excuse to come back out to go fishing again. Oh, yeah right (wife reminds me), I already fish here pretty much every week and we usually eat fresh caught fish (But not yellowfin).

Now, tell me all about the bluefin. What are the best trips, tackle, fishing methods, how do they eat, etc. ??

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Great update Brother. Listen as "we" plot your return....lol. And the wife doesn't even know YET! Happy for you... it was expensive.... but you did it right brother. Be safe.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    You cannot legally sell sport caught fish in Alaska.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Have a processor reservation........getting prices on shipping now, if it's only ~$1.50/lb, no issue, I'll pay for it...........I have 2 freezers at home and can probably freeze atleast 200 lbs.

Maybe I don't have that big of a "quandry".

For you experienced long range guys, on a 10 day trip, how many pounds (range) of tuna, wahoo and yellowtail would you hope/expect to land? (considering you are a decent/average fisherman and the fishing on the trip is average).

Thanks, Jim

3 to 4 hundred pounds....

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I came back from my 10 day earlier this month with two big coolers filled even after I filled my buddies little chest freezer almost full. 50/50 mix wahoo and YFT with a little YT and two dorado for my buddy. Almost 600lbs at full weight and just over $800 with the 5 mil bags and YT collar at 5 Star.

Next morning pick up all frozen and ready for the ride home

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Picked up the fish at MCO - arrived in great condition, frozen solid in vacuum packed, meal size bags. Wife is ecstatic. We'll be eating well for Christmas and well beyond. Cost per pound =~$5.85 (135lbs, $600 for processing and 3 boxes to ship, $190 for shipping). Note, costs do not include the fishing trip, air fare there & back, hotel, etc.

I could have shipped back more fish. I shipped back all that I caught, but others (who had caught considerably more) offered fish to me that i did not take. Figure wife and I, who love eating good fish, 3lbs a week, plus a dinner party or 2, will take about 8 -10 months to consume what I shipped back. I want to eat it before it freezer burns.

Once we eat it up, good excuse to come back out to go fishing again. Oh, yeah right (wife reminds me), I already fish here pretty much every week and we usually eat fresh caught fish (But not yellowfin).

Now, tell me all about the bluefin. What are the best trips, tackle, fishing methods, how do they eat, etc. ??

A good BFT trip would a nice 3 day trip in late September or October. Certain boats catch more BFT than others so research the fish counts.

BFT is the most highly prized sashimi, and it is superb. Never had it cooked, but I imagine it would be very similar to cooked YFT.

Upvote 0

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    One of you guys responded to my suggestion of donating your fish to me as I had a crappy private boat tuna season, can process many hundreds of pounds of fish and will distribute it to dozens of my compadres.

THANK YOU!

BA9AFC35-B527-4119-A33D-2FB5BA962777.jpeg

18DD1EF9-F22C-456A-8374-28240EF36877.jpeg

456D5E3E-F5B6-4842-B519-196884F61FBA.jpeg

486AB59F-4E88-410D-BCA7-4928B4DD546E.jpeg

559E922C-6168-4826-B24B-45EA24932843.jpeg

512A509D-B5E5-466F-A145-38B2C21377C5.jpeg

7CF561C0-EB97-4069-AABB-D22B6DD381C8.jpeg

4AD0A98D-DB46-41E7-9F61-43531C7247E5.jpeg

Last edited:
    A
    Al B.Fishing
    Very impressive that is a labor of love and a man who respects his catch at the highest level. Bravo
    Canned In oil with different flavors is something to behold and you smoke it too. Do you have room for one more compadre 😂😂😂 10 star processing is you
    PS I have plenty of fish and take joy in giving it to friends and coworkers
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0